Join Early Retirement Today

Funny or Interesting Presents You Gave or Received
Old 12-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny or Interesting Presents You Gave or Received

Here's something Jenny gave us. It's the book

Amazon.com: Aging With Attitude: Better Than Dying With Dignity (Keepsake) (9781593599768): Pauline Whitchurch, Evelyn Beilenson, Bonnie Krebs: Books

which is OK, but Jenny annotated it to be more appropriate for us. For example, all the writing on the right page is Jenny's:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Mr Boston and I exchanged "normal" presents, but I WISH I had gotten this...

Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I gave souvenirs from the high point of this year's travels, Batman and Donald Duck Pez despensers from No. 4 on the list of America's Top Ten Wackiest Roadside attractions, the Pez Museum of Memorabilia.

Saw a book on Amazon that relates to a hobby of mine and my hometown. Thought about sending it to two sets of relatives but went with flowers instead. And there it was under the tree from niece and SIL.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I received a pair of gloves for Christmas two years ago - before I got to use them, my kid borrowed them and I never got them back. Last year I got a pair that were too big so I never used them. Yesterday I got a nice pair, fit just right, but when I looked for them this morning they were missing already. I'm getting some real good mileage from the three-year old gloves though. Next year I want Easy Feet.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here's something Jenny gave us. It's the book

Amazon.com: Aging With Attitude: Better Than Dying With Dignity (Keepsake) (9781593599768): Pauline Whitchurch, Evelyn Beilenson, Bonnie Krebs: Books

which is OK, but Jenny annotated it to be more appropriate for us. For example, all the writing on the right page is Jenny's:

Nice to get presents from those who really know you, hunh? I got a weathered rubber ball, very used and devoid of bounce, with a string poked through it. It will serve nicely as a parking locator down south in the garage. I'd gone to the dollar store looking for a ball and string to use but just couldn't break loose a buck for the purpose. Interesting being away from all the stuff one collects as usable material. Have to buy new boards for cripes sake!

Also got volume 1 of Twain's autobiography, which was not to be published for 100 years after his death. 467 pages of Twain chaff and sweepings, sure to be better than most author's polished gems. Several hundred pages of explanatory notes and such.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We do a present free for all with the extended family. People (DW and her sister, mostly) pick up presents throughout the year, of the weird, funny, and cheap variety. We wrap them, then do a round robin picking them, allowing taking from each other too. Gets cut throat, in a friendly way. Then we sit around opening them, and laughing. This year the best ones were the yodeling pickle, the gaudy frog prince ornament, and the 3 ft long tubes of red licorice and bubble gum balls. I got a bottle of hot sauce and a moose that poops jelly beans. Glad mine were practical.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Nice to get presents from those who really know you, hunh? I got a weathered rubber ball, very used and devoid of bounce, with a string poked through it. It will serve nicely as a parking locator down south in the garage.(snip)
I'm curious, how does the ball locate your car?
Old 12-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I'm curious, how does the ball locate your car?
It uses the same powerful attractive force as shopping carts in parking lots...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

What Nords said. or you can park juuuust right, then hang the ball from the ceiling so it touches your windshield at a chosen spot. The garage down there isn't real long and if I have the trailer drawbar in the car's receiver i find myself either parking too far forward or risking crunching the lowering door.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
or you can park juuuust right, then hang the ball from the ceiling so it touches your windshield at a chosen spot.
For extra fun with a spouse or teen driver, you can shorten the string a quarter-inch every few days...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What Nords said. or you can park juuuust right, then hang the ball from the ceiling so it touches your windshield at a chosen spot.
An improvement is to set it so that it just touches the top/outside edge of the sideview mirror when you are in place. This way you set the right/left position as well as the front/back position.

I set the position of our two cars such that we can open the doors all the way without hitting the other car.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Brilliant! up north i just crowd as far to one side as possible so Ms short girl can veer out of the space next to me. She really doesn't want to rub a line down the side of my car with her bumper, but her not being able to see where the front of her car is makes it difficult and both of us nervous.

Tall is handy sometimes.