Join Early Retirement Today

Funny Reaction to ER Announcement!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny Reaction to ER Announcement!

My ER was announced last Fri. I run a $100M/yr manufacturing plant, today we have our insurance carrier in for their annual loss prevention audit. It's two seasoned engineers representing the carrier.

I stop into one of the meetings to see how it's going and one of my Dept Mgrs has just told the visiting engineers I am retiring in a few months unbeknownst to me (I had planned to tell them in the closing meeting). The lead engineer who I barely know turns to me and says:

'Well congratulations! But I want to ask you, I have known quite a few people who retired with lots of plans for retirement and they have really found it enjoyable. I have also known a few who had no plans, and they were dead within 6 months. So, what are your plans?'

OMG! [In my head, I am laughing hysterically at this point...]

I say, 'I still have more than 2 months to go, and it's too soon to go into the details. Plus I don't want to interrupt the audit.' There are 8 people we are holding up.

Lead engineer says, 'so you have no plans?'

I "suggest" they resume their meeting.

I kid you not. Happened about 3 hours ago and it still makes me chuckle. It didn't bother me in the least, I really thought it was hilarious...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

What a jerk.

Don't worry about it - - obviously he can hardly bear the fact that you are able to retire, and he isn't right now. His envy is so transparent.

If it helps, I had no specific plans when I retired, and I am still alive after 17 months. Will wonders never cease. Retirement is like an endless Saturday or vacation (only better). If you don't have a hard time dealing with Saturdays or vacations you will be fine.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What a jerk.

Don't worry about it - - obviously he can hardly bear the fact that you are able to retire, and he isn't right now. His envy is so transparent.

If it helps, I had no specific plans when I retired, and I am still alive after 17 months. Will wonders never cease. Retirement is like an endless Saturday or vacation (only better). If you don't have a hard time dealing with Saturdays or vacations you will be fine.
+1.....and still alive after 4 years :-)

------------

I also wonder if a sizable chunk of the people who die soon after retirement (allegedly those "with no plans") might already have been sick and therefore didn't make any plans?

omni

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
My ER was announced last Fri. I run a $100M/yr manufacturing plant, today we have our insurance carrier in for their annual loss prevention audit. It's two seasoned engineers representing the carrier.

I stop into one of the meetings to see how it's going and one of Dept Mgrs has just told the visiting engineers I am retiring in a few months. The lead engineer who I barely know turns to me and says:

'Well congratulations! But I want to ask you, I have known quite a few people who retired with lots of plans for retirement and they have really found it enjoyable. I have also known a few who had no plans, and they were dead within 6 months. So, what are your plans?'

I say, 'I still have more than 2 months to go, and it's too soon to go into the details. Plus I don't want to interrupt the audit.' There are 8 people we are holding up.

Lead engineer says, 'so you have no plans?'

I kid you not. Happened about 3 hours ago and it still makes me chuckle.
I had a similar experience.

The week after I retired we took a cruise. We sat with a couple approximately our age (I was 58 at the time) and he could not believe I was retiring without concrete plans to work or to do "something". I said I had all sorts of hobbies and interests and would have no problem in occupying my time but he kept talking about people dying after retiring because they had no plans. He brought it up several times during the cruise - got to the point we avoided them.

Six years later I'm still alive, have 99.9% less stress, and wake up with a smile on my face every day.

Oh, and I now have a plan - to keep on doing what I've been doing for the past 6 years.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I had a similar experience.

The week after I retired we took a cruise. We sat with a couple approximately our age (I was 58 at the time) and he could not believe I was retiring without concrete plans to work or to do "something". I said I had all sorts of hobbies and interests and would have no problem in occupying my time but he kept talking about people dying after retiring because they had no plans. He brought it up several times during the cruise - got to the point we avoided them.

Six years later I'm still alive, have 99.9% less stress, and wake up with a smile on my face every day.

Oh, and I now have a plan - to keep on doing what I've been doing for the past 6 years.
People don't want to hear stories like yours. That would make them hate their jobs even more. If the choice is either working or dying, well I guess working doesn't sound so bad after all!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Oh yeah! You read it too!!

I checked with my doc and he verified on my left toe that my expiration date is 30 yrs out...he also mentioned that if I do not have anything planned, there is a risk of dying 3 years 5 months early...

I'll take my chances...
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #7

My plan was to do nothing, and so far I have been very successful! However, I am working on trying to do it even better!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I am so happy for you , Midpack! You are SO close. Just 2 more months!

And to the others who already ER'd, each of you continues to be such an inspiration to me.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The lead engineer who I barely know turns to me and says:

I swear, if he said that to me and I had any liquid in my mouth, I'd spray it all over him and ruin his suit!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have a plan: I plan to do nothing.

I have been ER'd for 2 months and so far the things that I have been doing were not planned. Somehow, they just came and I have to attend to them.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #11

I just say I am planning to spend my pension on blow and hookers.
They usually don't ask again after I tell them that.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I guess none here have a sense of humor.... heck, I would hassle someone that was retiring soon also... it does not mean you are envious...

I talked to one of my BIL the other day... asked him how retirement was going for him (about 6 months into it).... he said 'this is hard work'... I was a bit taken aback... he said 'all the stuff you kept putting off... you now do not have an excuse'... my sister said he had not fixed the sprinkler system in years... and she had buried a few of the sprinkler heads (one under a big stone)... he has been fixing it for a few weeks... the list is getting longer from what I hear...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I guess none here have a sense of humor.... heck, I would hassle someone that was retiring soon also... it does not mean you are envious...
After three days of it (as in my case above), it would simply mean you are obnoxious.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I talked to one of my BIL the other day... asked him how retirement was going for him (about 6 months into it).... he said 'this is hard work'... I was a bit taken aback... he said 'all the stuff you kept putting off... you now do not have an excuse'... my sister said he had not fixed the sprinkler system in years... and she had buried a few of the sprinkler heads (one under a big stone)... he has been fixing it for a few weeks... the list is getting longer from what I hear...
I have a list to do and my excuse before retirement was "I don't have time to do it".

After ER, my excuse is "There will be plenty of time to do them later".

Incidentally, I "lost" the list on a recent hard drive crash, but DW found a backup on another drive.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
People don't want to hear stories like yours. That would make them hate their jobs even more. If the choice is either working or dying, well I guess working doesn't sound so bad after all!
glippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

I had lots of people tell me that I would be bored . I answered "That after forty years boredom sounds good ".
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
gone traveling

Time to pull out my reminder for those that think you should stay employed:
Attached Images
File Type: gif WhyRetire.gif (60.0 KB, 267 views)
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After three days of it (as in my case above), it would simply mean you are obnoxious.

I think you have to expect it when you first announce... heck, we used to kid the people who were retiring at normal age....

You probably get it if you are real young and retire (like Nords... heck, what DOES he do all day )

But I do agree that after a few shots, it should be dropped...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Incidentally, I "lost" the list on a recent hard drive crash, but DW found a backup on another drive.
There is just no justice, is there?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I like that story, Midpack--per the visiting engineer, either have plans and enjoy retirement, or have no plans and die within 6 months. Which path to choose?