Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Mine were pretty large in this 1982 photo, too...
And those glasses were huge!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
My mom started giving me perms when I was 6 years old...that went on for a few years. I swear I can still smell the odor of that perm solution.
I'm too old for my mom giving me perms in the 70s but my aunt gave me some in the 50s. I thought that woman hated me...a form of torture for a 6 year old kid. Whewy stinky stuff.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:21 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I'm too old for my mom giving me perms in the 70s but my aunt gave me some in the 50s. I thought that woman hated me...a form of torture for a 6 year old kid. Whewy stinky stuff.
Yes, I remember my poor sisters having that done to them. Naturally, I'd hide out of sight from Mom and make faces at them. Typical brother behavior.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Okay, see you guy's ugly specs and raise you a pair of goggles that were not only ugly, but were not stylish, even at the time.
Gaack! I can't believe I'm posting this!
This is a “friend” from 1974, get the frames. I suppose posters who don’t post their photos are hiding from the paparazzi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (110.0 KB, 2 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Uh oh, found another one:

Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Is that a cup?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

W2R, you look so pretty in your grad picture, I just had to sharpen it up a little:

Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
W2R, you look so pretty in your grad picture, I just had to sharpen it up a little:
Wow! so pretty and ladylike Wish I looked that that.

I was more of a flannel shirt wearing, Janis listening, disco hating and refusing to go to the prom kinda person. Come to think of it, I haven't changed that much Only exception is I sometimes kinda sorta like disco because it's so retro. Still don't like harvest gold and avacado appliances though....
Old 04-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Al, that is a spectacular improvement! Thank you SO much. I will save and keep it. That photo was taken by my father (dead now for almost 30 years), at our home just before he and my mother drove me into Honolulu for the graduation ceremony. So, the photo means a lot to me.

We were late, and I was annoyed that he would delay to take the photo. He said "smile!" and that is what I did... 43 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Wow! so pretty and ladylike Wish I looked that that.

I was more of a flannel shirt wearing, Janis listening, disco hating and refusing to go to the prom kinda person. Come to think of it, I haven't changed that much Only exception is I sometimes kinda sorta like disco because it's so retro. Still don't like harvest gold and avacado appliances though....
Thank you, Purron. Every girl in the senior class wore the same holoku (traditional Hawaiian dress). We ordered it months in advance. At graduation, the entire class of 394 seniors sang old Hawaiian songs for an hour as part of the ceremony. We had practiced singing them for hours and hours after school. I still remember the words, all in Hawaiian...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Al, that is a spectacular improvement! Thank you SO much. I will save and keep it. That photo was taken by my father (dead now for almost 30 years), at our home just before he and my mother drove me into Honolulu for the graduation ceremony. So, the photo means a lot to me.

We were late, and I was annoyed that he would delay to take the photo. He said "smile!" and that is what I did... 43 years ago.
Awww, that's so sweet! Just curious, what's the story with the flowers you're wearing?

Edited to add: get after seeing your most recent reply :-)
Old 04-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Awww, that's so sweet! Just curious, what's the story with the flowers you're wearing?

Edited to add: get after seeing you're most recent reply :-)
Yes, I was wearing a lei identical to every other graduating girl's lei and provided by the school, into the graduation ceremony - - afterwards we were given dozens and dozens more by friends and relatives congratulating us.

Edited to add - - actually I really hated that dress, because it was too big and the cloth was very stiff and uncomfortable! But I didn't care. I was so glad to graduate.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:02 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Edited to add - - actually I really hated that dress, because it was too big and the cloth was very stiff and uncomfortable! But I didn't care. I was so glad to graduate.
The dress did look a little big on you. Even so, it's a lovely photo and T-Al did a good job making it look like new.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Is that a cup?
Well, not that kind of cup (I find it's best to assume a double entendre when you post ). It's a "mug," get it? They actually would make custom mugs that matched your face, but I had an off-the-shelf face.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #94

Okay, I'll bite. That's me on the far left at the end of a backpacking trip in the summer of 1977...following my first year of college.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1977a.jpg (56.9 KB, 18 views)
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Okay, I'll bite. That's me on the far left at the end of a backpacking trip in the summer of 1977...following my first year of college.
Great pic! You look a little like Casey James from this season of American Idol and that's not a bad thing
Old 04-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if it's because of all the hair or what... everyone looks really happy in the 70's photos.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #97
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Great pic! You look a little like Casey James from this season of American Idol and that's not a bad thing

I was thinking the same thing and he is HOT HOT HOT ! and did I say Hot !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #98
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I don't know if it's because of all the hair or what... everyone looks really happy in the 70's photos.
Speaking for myself the 70's are great memories. I enjoyed my last 2 years at HS (graduated '73) then 4 years at college, met DW, married in '76, first house in '77, and then moved to the most beautiful place we've ever lived in '79 (North Yorhshire at the foot of the Cleveland Hills).

.... and then in '81 came the first baby and all the aggravation that brings I remember talking to DW early in '83 a few weeks after baby #2, and telling her that I had a headache - the first non-booze related headache I'd had since I got sunstroke 12 years earlier

Those years at college had also the best summers there had been in many, many years - sigh, I remember that the library at college over-looked some grassy areas where many bikini clad girls (some topless) would sun themselves. It was pretty difficult to find a table by a window for "studying" on sunny days when the girls were on display
Old 04-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #99

Quote:
You look a little like Casey James
At the time people told me I looked like Ron Howard....you know, Opie, Richie Cunningham, etc. I actually used to play baseball in HS against his brother Clint (of Gentle Ben fame) and saw him at some games, but I never met him personally.

I still look more or less like the photo, except that I'm better insulated, my hair is more evenly distributed around my body (and becoming very very blonde in places), and I visit the barber a little more frequently! Yeah, well, that and 33 years of weathering and yielding to the effects of gravity! Who am I kidding? I don't look anything like that photo any more. But I feel like I do.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I think growing into adulthood in the 70s was a fun time. I always tell people that the 60s didn't happen until the 70s (except in CA). Sex and drugs and (early on anyway) rock and roll. Even disco couldn't mess it up too bad. The women seemed to like it, and when Mama is happy, I'm happy.