Funny Tuesday Videos

When BP Spills Coffee

YouTube - BP Spills Coffee

I am so horrified by the oil spill that I almost feel it's wrong to make fun of it...yet, if I didn't laugh, I'd cry.

Amethyst

Daft hands.

Here's one for you military aviators. It was forwarded to me by a Vietnam-era F-4 RIO combat veteran so it's probably a cut above the usual "Top Gun" genre.

Lap Around the Boat

The "camera operator" is a Navy pilot completing his T-45 carrier quals about six months ago, and it's just a six-minute flight from launch to recovery. I've seen all the pieces of Navy aviation many times but this is the first time I've seen them all together in one place from a helmet cam. Speakers or headphones aren't necessary for most of us-- the sound track is all jet engines and no radio chatter. It may mean something to you aviators but to the rest of us it's just noise.

It took me a while to realize that the minute of pre-flight engine/control surface wiggling is being coordinated by a flight-deck supervisor on the starboard side of the aircraft. They're not always visible on camera. After the pilot returns the salute his camera faces forward, pushes back against the seat, and looks straight down the flight deck. You know what's gonna happen next.

After watching the video, the website's comments are funny. The pilot is recently trained, pretty proficient, and probably up on all the latest safety requirements. But that didn't protect him from a bunch of ol' fart curmudgeons harrumphing and berating him for lack of proper gloves. Clearly the Navy has gone to hell since our active-duty days.

If I'd seen a comprehensive video like this 30 years ago then it would have taken me even less time to decide that... I'd really be much happier in the submarine force.

Gotta hand it to ya Nords. More exciting than any of my you tube cat vids;)

Zero to 100+ mph in like 1 second on a giant steam powered slingshot? Where do I sign up?
Wait until you see the guys who work on them and have to make sure they're put back together right...

The slingshot launch looks like fun. Landing on a moving postage stamp while trying to catch a big rubber band - not so much.
In the comments he mentions that he caught the 4-wire. I believe that means he caught the "last chance to stop before departing" wire, because the #1 & #2 wires are considered to be a little too close to the ramp strike and the #3 wire is the sweet spot.

I've heard that when they hit the deck they're supposed to slam the throttles to full power just so that they have takeoff speed in case they bolter off the bow.

Submarine training seems much less dangerous than tempting Murphy's Law a couple thousand times.

Attachments

• Squadron car disposal on leaving Subic for overhaul.jpg
    Squadron car disposal on leaving Subic for overhaul.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Submarine firefighting trainer.jpg
    Submarine firefighting trainer.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom