Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had my gas furnace serviced a couple years after I moved into my new house. After seeing what he did I knew I would never have it serviced again, it took him 10 minutes and he was out the door. Just vacuum and replace the filters regularly, check the burner flame to make sure it looks normal. If a control board goes it probably had little or nothing to do with whether you had it serviced or not.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would do at least the first annual maintenance. Usually things have problems when they are very new or old.

I had an A/C that was installed about 7 years ago and there were some problems with the install that I never knew about. Everything ran ok, however moisture accumulated behind the unit in the garage and the wall became full of mold. We had to rip the unit out replace the wall and I then just decided to replace the whole A/C as moisture had corroded the circuits inside of the unit. The new unit had problems from week one as it had red fault lights that would come on. I had them out about 5 times until they got the lights to all turn green.

Had I had some annual maintenance done this problem could have been fixed in the first year and probably only cost me a few hundred dollars instead of thousands of dollars.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #23

Alright, thanks for the responses. The warranty covers parts only, no labor. I'll see what DH thinks and we'll make a decision. We did have some trouble when it was first installed, which they straightened out, no charge, so I'm comfortable that it's working well now. Maybe while we're renting it out we'll have someone check it every couple years just in case. We tend to keep an eye on things when we're living there but I don't expect the tenants will pay as much attention.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #24

I regard the maintenance contract we have on our AC/heat units as a luxury I allow myself. We have two units. One is a conventional AC with elecric resistance heating and the other is a heat pump. We had both units installed in the year 2000. One year's maintenance was included with the purchase price. After that, I was spoiled.

The guys (our old friends) come out 4 times a year (we live in the country), change filters, check freon (add, if needed), and clean (wash down) the outside units. They charge about $475 total per year to do both units.

They say we get priority service and a discount if we need repair work.

I have had experience with gas, oil and radiator heating. I don't want them in my house. We do have two woodburning fireplaces.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WM View Post
Maybe while we're renting it out we'll have someone check it every couple years just in case. We tend to keep an eye on things when we're living there but I don't expect the tenants will pay as much attention.
If you're renting this place out, you may want to do this annually. Last thing I'd want is to have a carbon monoxide issue and find you had a problem that went unchecked and lawsuits....I'm not a landlord, this is the part that always scared me.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote