Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
Very helpful, thanks. How big is the house approximately?
Ranch style home. 2100 square feet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robls View Post
Here goes:
Furnace-Bryant Evolution 355CAV 100,000 Btu 3-state Modulatiing Variable Speed 95% AFUE
A/C-Bryant Evolution 187A 3 ton-2 speed 17 Seer
Air Cleaner-Bryant High Efficiency
Thermostat-Evolution Control
Humidifier-Bryant LFP Automatic(upgraded this to one with a fan-don't have the model number.)
Extended Warranty-5 years labor
Total Cost-$8,600.00
Less Carrier rebate-$1,030.00
Less Federal tax credit-$1,500.00
Final Cost-$6,070.00
Hope this helps others.
Rob
p.s. I am having the ductwork cleaned professionally before installing the new equipment.
how much for the duct cleaning, if i may inquire?

Old 10-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
how much for the duct cleaning, if i may inquire?
$500. They were highly recommended by 3 of the guys I had come in for furnace estimates.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

Pricing Comparison

In addition to size questions, pricing comparisons are very valuable. I live in SE PA and just got a quote of $4815 installed for a Bryant 350A 100,000 BtU 93% efficiency. This is a basic unit, none of the triple stage variable fan speed etc. that the OP is going for. No tax credit.

My contractor said that a fancier model (not sure about the model #) would be $2000 more with additional upgrades needed for the duct connections. So I was looking at $700+ more after the $1500 tax credit - total cost $5500+.

So it looks like our pricing is similar. My installation would be a very simple old one out/new one in job.

I'd be interested in any comments. I'm looking for some leverage to get my price down if at all possible. One angle is to eliminate the cost of our semi-annual PM visits.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC1 View Post
In addition to size questions, pricing comparisons are very valuable. I live in SE PA and just got a quote of $4815 installed for a Bryant 350A 100,000 BtU 93% efficiency. This is a basic unit, none of the triple stage variable fan speed etc. that the OP is going for. No tax credit.

My contractor said that a fancier model (not sure about the model #) would be $2000 more with additional upgrades needed for the duct connections. So I was looking at $700+ more after the $1500 tax credit - total cost $5500+.

So it looks like our pricing is similar. My installation would be a very simple old one out/new one in job.

I'd be interested in any comments. I'm looking for some leverage to get my price down if at all possible. One angle is to eliminate the cost of our semi-annual PM visits.

Thanks!
I'd get at least 3 more quotes. I ended up with a 95% efficient two stage, variable speed fan Lennox for $3400 installed. I had estimates for the same that were +$2000 and minus $500.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's a place that will sell you a 95% efficient 96K BTU furnace for $1363 - $1433 (depending on desired fan size). They also sell furnaces that are 93% efficient, but the 93% models would only cost $100 less, so you'd be better off with the 95% efficient and the tax breaks.

Based on this, I don't know why your salesman wants to charge so much more for the 95% efficient model. Also, did he explain about the ducting changes that would be required for a high efficiency unit? If your ducts are sufficient to carry the higher flow rate of a single-speed fan, it's not obvious to me why they would not work to carry the (generally) lower sustained output of either a variable speed fan or a multi-speed fan.

The Goodman brand (sold at the link above and at other places) is a perfectly fine furnace, the warranty on the heat exchanger is among the best in the industry. The brand is one of the largest manufacturers of furnaces and AC units in the US, but they sell primarily to institutions and contractors, not through retail. They don't pay for advertising. Do some research on the web, I think you can satisfy yourself that they make good equipment.

I bought my furnace from these folks, it was not a problem. The problem may be finding a good HVAC guy that will install it for you. Maybe look for an HVAC guy who wants to take on a side job and will sign off on the warranty card. You could save a lot of money.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

Very many thanks to both for the input. It's very helpful to know that there is good experience with the cheaper brands. To pay $1500 for the equipment and get a $1500 tax credit would be a good deal to say the least!

Let's say it takes 2 guys at $100/hour a whole day to install, that adds only $1600, so that's a total cost in the low $3000 without a tax credit. I'd like to keep the existing contractor (installed and serviced the system for 20+ years and there's value in that), so I'm going to use numbers like this to work him down.

Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
To pay $1500 for the equipment and get a $1500 tax credit would be a good deal to say the least!
I think the credit is 30% of the cost, up to a total max credit of $1500, so you wouldn't be getting off quite that easy.

Be prepared for a bunch of eye-rolling and bad mouthing of Goodman. They are good products. Take a look at their company web site for warranty info--the heat exchanger has a lifetime warranty and I think everything else is 10 years.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by robls View Post
$500. They were highly recommended by 3 of the guys I had come in for furnace estimates.

WOW! I wish I could get that around here!!!! I'd be at about 269-289 for your home and I still get undercut