Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about an open wooden box style, wall mounted shoe organizer ? Low profile (length of a shoe), easy access, can fit small baskets within.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:12 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Junk grows to fit its space. Kinda like goldfish. I have end tables and coffee table that look like old ice boxes. Within a month they were filled with essential items. No longer temporary storage.

How about a rolltop desk? That might work for you. I'd have it filled with important papers and toys and expired coupons within a month.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Old 03-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
How about a rolltop desk? That might work for you. I'd have it filled with important papers and toys and expired coupons within a month.
LOL. That was my thinking, and that's what was there before:

But I've moved that into the living room,

which is a much better place (fireplace behind me, don't have to yell to Lena in the other room, nicer view). And that's why the front hall is now empty.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Found the perfect solution. We had this nice desk up in our guest room,

so we emptied it out and moved it to the front hall. One drawer will be for things to go to the garage, etc. Nothing allowed on the surface.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Update: This solution has worked great.

In the month-and-a-half since I implemented it, there has never been any clutter on the stairs, table, or the desk. Every Sunday, we take things out of the drawers and put them where they belong.

It's made a big change in the feel or our house.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Paring down and organizing the house is an ongoing project for us these days. I just took a trunk full of stuff to the animal shelter thrift shop yesterday and what they didn't want went to Goodwill.

For home decor I've started getting rid of some of the useless nick-nacks and replacing them with functional baskets (preferably with tops), decorative wood boxes and wood bowls from Ross Dress for Less and the thrift shops and that is where the mail, remotes, keys, library books, receipts and general clutter all go now. So far in the rooms I've finished they look less cluttered and are actually staying picked up, but we have a lot of the house left to do.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Found the perfect solution. We had this nice desk up in our guest room....so we emptied it out and moved it to the front hall. One drawer will be for things to go to the garage, etc. Nothing allowed on the surface.
Smart idea. We had a glass table I liked already in the entryway that didn't have drawers, but I did get rid of most of the candles and vases on it and replaced them with wood bowls and baskets with tops.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the observations made (by Nellie McKay) during a recent performance was something like, "I don't know what's up on this TV show 'Hoarders'. It's about people who have massive amounts of stuff in their homes getting rid of it. Then they break to commercials to tell you about all the new stuff you can buy and bring right back in."

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:37 PM   #29
Administrator

Excellent, Al! Thanks for the update.

I have re-discovered that moving is a good way to get rid of clutter. I had thought that I was relatively de-cluttered, but I have been throwing out as much as I have been packing. Also, my donation pile is growing ever bigger.

We humans sure think we need a lot of totally unnecessary things.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I de-clutter by getting rid of stuff. It's hard to do but I manage to do it every few years and then, boom, I'm back to clutter again. I also live in a really small duplex with only one closet. My garage is stacked with boxes anticipating a move this year or next so china is boxed, stuff like that. I am moving from this minuscule hut to a three bedroom, two bath place with many closets. The move is also where I will be tossing stuff or having a garage sale to pay for the move.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #31

Still at it - just today in a downstairs closet I found some books, including "Running MS-DOS" and "Windows XP Inside Out".

I guess it's safe to throw those out.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Still at it - just today in a downstairs closet I found some books, including "Running MS-DOS" and "Windows XP Inside Out".

Yeah, but keep the 5.25" floppies that came with them!
Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

I felt some nostalgic loss when I tossed out my books on CP/M...