Join Early Retirement Today

Furniture That Declutters
Old 03-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Furniture That Declutters

Clutter happens because we put something down on the table because it's not convenient to put where it belongs. Yes, in part it's laziness, but also sometimes you are busy with something, and it would be inefficient to take the time to put the thing in its place.

Here (oh, this is embarrassing) are pictures of our two clutter piles (not posed):

One solution is to periodically (every morning) make a point of putting those things away.

The problem is that in the meantime, those things are on display. That is, the storage location is highly visible. It's a display location. So, I've thought that if the temporary dumping ground were out of sight, the house would look less cluttered.

I've implemented that idea with drawers and enclosed side tables

But here's the problem: Once the stuff is out of sight, it never gets put away.

We're going to get something for our front hall (I moved my desk), and I'm wondering if there's something that might help. Maybe a chest of drawers (this for upstairs, this for to the garage), and a rule that every week they must be emptied.

Any ideas?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Everyone has current projects that take a while to complete. There is nothing wrong with putting things in a drawer to tidy up between sessions. That's why they invented the sewing box, for example.

One idea that I use is fabric boxes or baskets on wire or wooden shelves. Like this. http://images.property24.com/FetchIm...hx?uid=2723450

If you have many projects on the go, can you allocate a spare bedroom in your empty nester home to them?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A chest of drawers would solve the problem. I've done this in the past, and added dividers to keep things organized. The dividers have really helped me to keep stuff out that doesn't belong in the drawers.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I tend to leave things on the "coffee" table, because it's visible. As soon as I hide in it a drawer "temporarily", then out-of-sight, out-of-mind...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

No great ideas, but I sympathize with the situation. I think we've got a worse problem than you've got--I've got lots of cardboard boxes stashed here and there full of half-completed projects/tools that I "cleaned up" when people were coming over--and there they sit.

I've thought of modifying our kitchen table (the major junk magnet) so that once per week it tips its top and dumps everything on the floor. At least I'd be prompted to deal with it then.

The best furniture I can come up with to deal with our issue would be an old-fashioned portable room heater--the good ones without all those fancy tip-over switches and guards in front. They stand a good chance of setting the whole house ablaze, and sometimes I think that's our best chance to finally declutter.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Al, I have a couple of collapsible baskets to handle clutter. That works for me. When they get full, I put the contents away (or toss them) and start over. They are about 13"x13", and 6" high. I got them at World Market but lots of places sell nice baskets of varying dimensions.

One thing to be concerned about, is that as you age some day one of you might trip on those clutter piles on the floor/stairs and hurt yourself! I'd suggest putting them up on a table somewhere.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
someday one of you might trip on those clutter piles on the floor/stairs and hurt yourself!
Too late!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Too late!
Better do something pronto! Maybe a small waist high table (like one of those old phone tables), with a basket on it, right by the stairs? If the visibility bothers you, I suppose maybe you could find a basket with a lid.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This looks like a good idea:

MID CENTURY MODERN DRESSER DESK CHEST SECRETARY

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

MID CENTURY MODERN DRESSER DESK CHEST SECRETARY
Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Al, that looks nice. I really like the dovetail on the drawers. Only suggestion is "stuff" expands based on the size of area it exists in(imo). So set a limit on what you collect before forcing a hard reorganization.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Al, that looks nice. I really like the dovetail on the drawers. Only suggestion is "stuff" expands based on the size of area it exists in(imo). So set a limit on what you collect before forcing a hard reorganization.
+1

Also, Al, it concerns me because of my (perhaps incorrect) pre-conceived notion that you and Lena live in a fairly small place. The more large furniture you stuff into it, the smaller it will seem. It is pretty, though.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

What I do with temporary clutter is utilize the small cardboard boxes that I get from Amazon orders. They don't hold a lot of stuff. I fold the flaps down into the box so the stuff is visible. These small boxes are great for sorting and holding temporary to-do projects instead of leaving the associated stuff where it does not belong (tabletop, couch, counter, etc).
I've also used those plastic milk carton crates, the ones with the solid bottoms. They stack nicely.

My kitchen peninsula is ready to be attacked as part of spring cleaning. It is almost completely full of stuff I never got around to discarding or storing elsewhere. Some of it belongs to Mr B, so he has to help.

Lots of rainy spring days coming here soon, so it will not survive the onslaught of me cooped up in the house by rainstorms. I like to get it all done before summer starts and I'm outdoors all the time.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I made the mistake of trying to organize clutter with furniture (shelves, cabinets, etc). The cabinets and shelves filled up and the clutter never stops.

I have no answers for the problem.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I made the mistake of trying to organize clutter with furniture (shelves, cabinets, etc). The cabinets and shelves filled up and the clutter never stops.

I have no answers for the problem.
I've found one piece of furniture that controls clutter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wastebaskets.jpg (35.1 KB, 9 views)
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've found one piece of furniture that controls clutter.

That is my favorite piece of furniture. But I am single. If I was married I suspect the frequent use of that piece of furniture would get me in all types of trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
That is my favorite piece of furniture. But I am single. If I was married I suspect the frequent use of that piece of furniture would get me in all types of trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seems to work for my DW. Where that go? Oh I thought you were done with that, dear.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Seems to work for my DW. Where that go? Oh I thought you were done with that, dear.
Yep. My stuff is all junk, clutter whatever.

Hers is all decoration, keepsakes, etc.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:13 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My space was always meant to accommodate my clutter. When I need more space, I find the clutter I don't care about anymore and get rid of it in one of my archives. Cleaning the house is a matter of moving a large garbage to a large archive and shoveling.
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I sweep all the clutter on tables and stairs into a laundry basket that gets plopped down in the house entryway. When it's full and untouched by others, I dump it into a box, tape it shut, and write "Destroy after <DATE + 1 year>" on it. The box moves to a stack in the garage with the date turned to face the car, so it gets noticed.

When the date arrives, out goes the box.

Passive/Aggressive of me, but this seems to have influenced the amount of clutter over the years...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't grow up this way, but we have always uncluttered surfaces every evening before going to bed. It takes only a few minutes at most because we are focused on it.

T-Al, you probably already have a place to put everything you show in the photos. An interim place to put stuff will only make your life more complicated, not less.