Join Early Retirement Today

FWIW, Rolling Stones Dallas thoughts
Old 06-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FWIW, Rolling Stones Dallas thoughts

I say fwiw, because some care/some don't.. for those who don't, nothing to see here but for those who might be interested...

Last night in Arlington, home of the Cowboys (AT&T Stadium), first some pics, then some personal observations...

1st set includes outside stadium shot, pic of the lines at ONE of the many merchandise sales kiosks.. t-shirts $40 & up. Lines were 15 or more deep with each kiosk I saw having around 6+ salepeople. A lot of cash money flowing...

Shot of part of the stadium crowd... place is huge. One of the staff supervisors we talked with estimated 65k plus tickets sold. Ticket sales alone surely topped 3.25 million at $50 avg (conservative) . Merch probably hit a mil. Concessions most likely went to Jerry Jones and there were a lot of drunk people soaking up a lot of beer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1431.jpg (447.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1437.jpg (508.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1463 (1).jpg (502.7 KB, 20 views)
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #2

post #2

pics from the show, mostly video screens..

random observations:

not a great concert, but an incredible event
meaning, the sound was not even close to perfect, the band was a not very tight... as a way to bond with your favorite band, this wasn't it..too many people and too large a venue... think cattle herded into the stockyards..

but, as an event, celebrating a lifetime of achievement by this amazing band, it was quite an experience. The crowd was worshiping these guys- partying like it was 1970 and having a great time.

We deserted our floor seats quickly because the echo and slapback from the sound bouncing around made the music pretty crappy.. we wandered around both wings all the way up to the stage. Jagger danced for 2 hours straight. He's in amazing shape, even wearing a black fishnet t-shirt. Jagger, Woods, Watts and especially Richards have more wrinkles that a litter of Sharpei puppies. Watts looks like you could knock him over with a feather, but man can he drum. The guys really gave you your money's worth..they were dialed in.

My group left when the last encore song started in order to beat the crowd out.. we were at a red light when 4 or 5 police motorcycles lead multiple black mini vans and several trailing black cars out of the stadium area... the Stones were headed to the next gig.

Would I go again? If I had never seen them before-yes.... if I had already seen them, I probably would pass... as an event to be experienced, it was very cool.. so glad I went.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1460.jpg (386.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 11416361_496653267176711_904843811452762734_o.jpg (461.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 11048718_496653260510045_5894085612784670554_o.jpg (435.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1449.jpg (392.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They're coming into Nashville shortly. The staging and sound systems are already in place in the Tennessee Titans' stadium for the CMA Musicfest (aka Fanfare)--saving them big, big money.

Then Bonaroo is going to startup 60 miles away in Manchester, Tennessee. It's a cross between a huge midway/carnival and Woodstock with permanent facilities. The stars of the future will be mixed in with big stars of all kinds of music.

There's sure no shortage of music in Middle Tennessee for the month of June.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I saw the Stones on the "Some Girls" tour(1978?) when they played 3500 seat venues and announced ticket sales on the radio and people drove straight to the box office to buy tickets.

I had 12th row in the center and that was probably my best concert ever.

For some reason now though I just can't get into watching bands like the Who,Van Halen,The Stones, Fleetwood Mac,and even U2. I have seen all in their younger days.

Because they are just too old. The energy and magic is just not there anymore. It feels so corporate at concerts now.

And all the millennials holding up and staring and texting with their cell phones is really annoying.
purplesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Great detail on the concert report and very cool pics! Thanks!

We would have gone to that concert, but DH already had a m/c trip planned.

We got to meet Tim Ries (DH played a few tunes with him) a few years ago. At the time, Tim was on tour with the Stones. Pretty remarkable band after all these years in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #6

Still love the Stones and Keith will always be a god, but I'd much rather remember them by playing Beggars Banquet ---> Exile on Main Street than watching what's left of them on stage these days.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Charley's good tonight, isn't he ?!?!"

I've already made my contributions to the Stones' Retirement Fund, many times over. One of the best shows back in the day was during the Beggar's Banquet Tour at Madison Square Garden. I had seats up in the old "Blue Heaven" and I was literally in the last row. But for once, the acoustics at the Garden were perfect because with the wall right behind us......there was none of that slap-back echo that made the Garden the enemy of amplified Rock Bands.

For me, the Stones had ceased being a visual act a long time ago. so we just sat back and soaked up the sound way up there and just slightly House Right.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I remember seeing them 25 years ago on the Steel Wheels tour, and back then we were joking about it being the "Steel Wheelchairs" tour because of their age.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:02 PM   #9

I'm amazed that Keith Richards can still perform in concert, every time I listen to him talk in an interview it sounds like he's in the middle of a 10 day non-stop drug binge. And the sad part is that's how he sounds when he's sober.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I'm amazed that Keith Richards can still perform in concert, every time I listen to him talk in an interview it sounds like he's in the middle of a 10 day non-stop drug binge. And the sad part is that's how he sounds when he's sober.

I actually take great promise in Keith Richards. He's 71 years old and still going strong. With all the abuse he's done to his body, I think it bodes well for us who take care of ourselves. At least that what I hope...
Old 06-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I actually take great promise in Keith Richards. He's 71 years old and still going strong. With all the abuse he's done to his body, I think it bodes well for us who take care of ourselves. At least that what I hope...
have heard the joke that after a nuclear war, the only living things left will be cockroaches and Keith Richards...
Old 06-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #12
gone traveling

Nice pics Tailgate. I guess these old groups don't buy into ER like we do.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I think he looks the same today as 30 years ago. Pretty impressive.

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #14

Tailgate, thanks for the report. Interesting to hear from an attendeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
They're coming into Nashville shortly. The staging and sound systems are already in place in the Tennessee Titans' stadium for the CMA Musicfest (aka Fanfare)--saving them big, big money.

Then Bonaroo is going to startup 60 miles away in Manchester, Tennessee. It's a cross between a huge midway/carnival and Woodstock with permanent facilities. The stars of the future will be mixed in with big stars of all kinds of music.

There's sure no shortage of music in Middle Tennessee for the month of June.
Not a fun time to be commuting in and out of downtown Nashville though! (Streets already closing for Fest...)

You making the short drive up 65 for any of the events?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I think he looks the same today as 30 years ago. Pretty impressive.

🐑
Of course, thirty years ago he was 41...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote