Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm paying a little over $100/month for DirecTV, which is a lot, but I think it's worth it. Great HD picture and sound, and my wife and I each have our own DVRs. I'm trying to track developments with internet TV, but with its bandwidth limitations, so far, it just doesn't seem competitive. Also, I can download "cutting edge" versions of DirecTV's firmware for their satellite receivers, which is a lot of fun.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I dont have any Premium movie stations or sports stations. I only watch about 5 or 6 channels, but unfortunately they arent on the basic programming, so I have to get the 2nd or 3rd tier package. Sorta makes me grumpy, but I really do watch those few channels a lot, so I deal with it. I also got pretty pissed when I see all the good deals they offer to new subscribers, but when I call wanting that deal, I cant get it, even tho Ive been paying them for years. Something wrong there somehow.
carnivalday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is why I find just buying DVD sets of movies or series I want easier and cheaper in the long and usually short run, especially when they go on sale during the holidays. Or renting a movie through Amazon.com (which amazingly seems to have a better selection than Netflix, at least as far as I can tell).

I'm surprised there don't seem to be many alternatives for sports fans though. You'd think there'd be a much more diverse selection of being able to view and select the kinds of games you want to see.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I'm paying a little over $100/month for DirecTV, which is a lot, but I think it's worth it. Great HD picture and sound, and my wife and I each have our own DVRs. I'm trying to track developments with internet TV, but with its bandwidth limitations, so far, it just doesn't seem competitive. Also, I can download "cutting edge" versions of DirecTV's firmware for their satellite receivers, which is a lot of fun.
I'm curious what does your last sentence mean?
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I'm curious what does your last sentence mean?
Look at DBSTalk.Com . Other than referring you to this site for information, there is an informal non-disclosure system that prevents me going into detail.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

WE still have our cable but I would really like to get rid of it. Without it we have lousy reception so we would have to mount an antenna on the roof of our two story house. Something DH tries to avoid getting up on whenever possible. He tried to get the leaves out of the gutters with a leaf blower and almost nailed me on the ground when he accidently let go of it!

We save on the movies by getting them for free at the library. You can "reserve" them. It may take a little while to get one of the new releases but there hasn't been a movie made in the last 10 years that I would pay to see at a theater so I don't mind waiting.

Our library also lets you download books (haven't tried it yet so don't know how well it works or what they have). It's a great resource for cds too.
Corporate ORphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate ORphan View Post
WE still have our cable but I would really like to get rid of it. Without it we have lousy reception so we would have to mount an antenna on the roof of our two story house.
If your attic is large enough you might get decent reception with an outdoor antenna located there, assuming you don't have a metal roof. Of course your DH might put his foot through the ceiling, so be sure to stay downstairs while he's installing it...
Old 03-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #28

I have heard that there is a website called fta(free to air). that you have to buy a reciever and download software to it and recieve programming. not sure of the content or legality of it but it might be worth checking out. streaming is free now to netflix with subscription or whatever, but if something is reasonably priced people or government will figure on how to get their hand in the cookie jar. good things don't last forever.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuled View Post
Every time Comcast hits me with a rate increase and every time I get a flier in the mail offering a better deal from another company, I call Comcast, ask to be transferred to customer retention because I'm thinking about quitting the service, complain, and accept goodies. Usually it's something like a $10 a month credit for six months and six months of a free movie channel. This has never failed me yet.
+1...I do the same.
It is all getting up there in price ...regardless. Like others...it is the sports...that would prevent me from doing away with cable.

Verizon has many people getting rid of their landlines. So..they have simply increased their wireless fees. They have us ...by the ..."you know whats"...if we want to stay connected...

I relish the days...when no one knew my business....and the world was simpler. I think I was five years old. LOL.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I also got pretty pissed when I see all the good deals they offer to new subscribers, but when I call wanting that deal, I cant get it, even tho Ive been paying them for years. Something wrong there somehow.
Carnival...that is always there first and sometimes second response. Ask to be transferred to the customer retention department . I promise you ...they have never failed me yet. Typically they give me $10.00 a mth off for 12 months. When the promotion comes off...I call again and do the same routine.
Let us know if it works for you.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #31

The streaming of sports events is getting less and less common because ICE is now involved in arresting folks for copyright infringement. They shut down several sites and confiscated the domain names, then they actually arrested one of the guys.

Channelsurfing.net Owner Arrested For Illegal Website Streaming
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

When I dropped cable, I decided to just get OTA TV when the big switch went from analog to digital.

To fullfill my need to follow sports of the hometeams, I got a Slingbox so I can view those games on my laptop if I'm out of town. Granted, some baseball games are cable only. For that, I decided the compromise was to follow the scores on the internet when out of town or at home, listen to the broadcast on the radio (like I did as a kid without access to a TV set, plus I like the descriptions of radio more).

I found that there are some shows on cable I still miss, but I'm happy with my decision.

Now instead of getting my butt of the couch watching cable, I need to get my butt off the chair surfing the entertainment news on the internet
Old 03-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #33

I have package deal through Comcast (Crapcast), which it too expensive. I am at $165/mo for high-speed internet (getting about 14Mbps even though I am on the 7Mbps plan), cable tv w/two DVR's, HD Package and expanded basic. No extra pay movie or tv channels (HBO) and home phone.

Comcast does have a limit on their bandwidth, 250GB/mo, which for some unknown reason about 6 months ago I was exceeding. After talking to Comcast reps they claimed that even though I have kids doing online gaming in two different rooms and I am watching some netflix, another kid on WOW, we still shouldn't be hitting the 250GB max. We ran Norton (which is free through Comcast) cleaned up the computers, bought a new router which has 5Ghz (son said this was better ?!?), changed passwords on said router, we are now hitting under 200GB. Maybe a neighbor was borrowing my internet, but we were password protected?

While I think it is too expensive, I haven't been able to find a better deal. I don't need the home phone, but my only other options are satellite TV and DSL internet which is UP TO 3Mbs from qwest based on our location, which would not be nearly fast enough for all the strains we put on it.

I think I have two options to help defray the cost. 1) raise my sons rent by $50 and 2) buy enough Comcast stock to have the dividends offset my monthly bill. Now to come up with enough cash to buy about 4500 shares ($108,000)

p.s. I have to second the notion on calling Comcast to lower the bill to match other offers, I have been able to do that yearly. Sometimes you might get the representative that says, "o.k., go ahead and switch" but then you just call back and get someone else. I have to admit the last time my 'special deals' were about to expire, I actually received a letter from Comcast inviting me to call them and find out what kind of specials they were offering at the time and I received a similar deal to continue.

p.p.s. Even though I have called them crapcast their service has been good, no interruptions in service, able to chat on line, etc. Just too expensive IMO.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

You all are making me feel SO much better about my Cox cable bill. This month it went up from $62.60 to $69.85, the first rise in price since before Hurricane Katrina back in 2005.

The "bare bones basic" TV charge went from $15.99 to $19.99, and the cable internet went from $45.99 to $48.99.

Even with "bare bones basic" I get over 100 (121?) channels including HD versions of local channels. So, I'm happy with it. I don't plan to drop cable and go to internet TV.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The "bare bones basic" TV charge went from $15.99 to $19.99, and the cable internet went from $45.99 to $48.99.
Do you know what internet speed you have in terms of Mbps. Standard Road Runner is 7Mpbs and RR Turbo is 15Mpbs. When I cancel my cable next week i'm thinking about also downgrading back to Standard but wondering what other people have. Now that i'm used to Turbo maybe I should stay with it especially since I will be watching tv on the computer now instead of with cable. It's $10 extra for Turbo.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I just now tested it on cnet's speed test, and got 13507 kbps.

Cox Cable's website says that they offer four levels of internet now, essential, preferred, premier, and ultimate. Mine is the "preferred" level (second from the slowest). Download speed is supposed to be 18 Mbps with "Powerboost" (whatever that is, but according to my bill I have it and no extra charge is listed).

Charges are going to be different in different areas, I suspect. Here are the Cox Cable service descriptions and prices in New Orleans.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
... but my only other options are satellite TV and DSL internet which is UP TO 3Mbs from qwest based on our location, which would not be nearly fast enough for all the strains we put on it.
I have DSL internet, which used to be 3M download speed and 7K up, but now I pay a little more for 8M down and 1M up. There is a faster rate available, which would cost still more. My 8M download speed is pretty slow for video, but plenty fast for web surfing. The upload speed is important for online gaming (which I don't do). I get my TV over DirecTV satellites, 3 to 5 of them, and there is no up communication there at all, but download speed is essentially unlimited (for a normal home). It is possible to play games on DirecTV, by depending on the internet for up communication, but it's so slow and clumsy that no gamester would want to do that.

So, it appears to me, that it's the online game playing that is the most expensive for you.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #38

Cox indeed seems to have the best prices for cable internet. An internet connection is essential for me, not only do I get all of my important mail through the internet, I download all the shows I watch from the internet as well (so I have never even wanted cable). When I retire, it will be in a place that has Cox (55 Mbps) or Verizon FiOS (150 Mbps), which are the fastest providers by a long-shot. Assuming the next greatest thing isn't around by then of course...I would really like something with a very low latency (I don't understand why providers force you to use proxy servers to do this rather than integrating it into the service).
plex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Cable TV is pretty much useless to me, but it looks like we'll probably wind up with at least a basic package of it once we get back to the US. The kids like the cartoons, and my wife likes to watch a few drama series. We will need internet anyway, so if the package deal is at least passable, then we'll probably have it. If the prices are really bad where we are going, however, internet is a WAY bigger priority than TV - that's our entire communication with friends/family and our hook-up to our online colleges.
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

My Dish Network experience:

Note: overall, we were very happy with the TV service we got from Dish Network.

After 2 years, I had no contractual obligations with Dish, they kept nickel and diming me on everything, so I decided I was gonna leave Dish for a better deal with another provider. So I call them up and I say "Hey, do you have any deals for me?" "No" "How about free HD?" "No" (note: they were offering free HD for new subscribers). So I found another provider and I had the new service installed. Then, I called Dish to cancel . Guess what they offered me?

I almost blew my stack when they offered me free HD. I got really nasty with them at that point. We both could have been better off if they just would have given me free HD when I asked for it. lesson learned.

ps. Dish had a habit of charging me for a movie that I rented SIX months ago. When I canceled, I got a bill for $4.99 for Book of Eli which I rented from them eight months prior. things like that just anger me.
albundyz is offline   Reply With Quote