Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone who tried that link: I blew it and I apologize. It's "consumerist.com" and not what I said earlier.

The Consumerist
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundyz View Post
My Dish Network experience:

Note: overall, we were very happy with the TV service we got from Dish Network.

After 2 years, I had no contractual obligations with Dish, they kept nickel and diming me on everything, so I decided I was gonna leave Dish for a better deal with another provider. So I call them up and I say "Hey, do you have any deals for me?" "No" "How about free HD?" "No" (note: they were offering free HD for new subscribers). So I found another provider and I had the new service installed. Then, I called Dish to cancel . Guess what they offered me?
My Dish TV bill (250 channel/no premium) went from $90.09 in July, 2008 to $105.99 with the latest increase (rates frozen for the next two years).

We have two boxes (1-HD, 1-non) running four TV's (includes my desktop PC with a tuner card).

The service is much better than our local cable company, which we had for many, many years and even much cheaper as compared to their current advertised prices.

When Dish came out with the cut in the HD charge ($10/mo.), I just gave them a call and they gave me the same deal - no problem at all...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Posted for comparison...I have cable with DVR (no paid channels), high speed Internet, unlimited local/long distance land line telephone, and fire/security/medical alarm services.

MONTHLY SERVICES
All The Best w/Home Security ..................$171.94
Includes: Basic, Standard, Explorer Pak, Digital Navigator,Digital Equipment, Digital Home Phone*, Road Runner High Speed Online, Monthly Monitoring
*Includes unlimited local and long distance calling within the United States and US Territories.
DVR Service . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$12.95
Subtotal Monthly Services: . . . . . . . ..... .$184.89

MONTHLY ALARM MONITORING .. . . . . . . . . .$5.95
Taxes and Fees: . . . . . ...... . . . . .......... . .$9.96

Grand total = $201 and change
Old 03-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My roku works great.

I think many people are beginning to take a hard look at their communications and home entertainment costs.

I would include home phone and mobile in the same category as the services in this thread.

Over the last couple of years, we have been getting substitute services to reduce costs... Some are a little different (e.g., netflix instead of digital movie channels, paygo cell instead of contract, etc.)

I have another round of cost cutting I will be going through this year. when I get done, I will have reduced our cost by about 60% and kept most of the services (or capabilities) compared to 3 years ago.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:34 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's funny you say that, that is exactly what I did last year and will do it again this year. If I go with Nettalk my phone bill drops to $30 per year. It's better than Magic jack in that I can shut off my computer. A guy I work with has it and said he doesn't see any difference between it and regular landline phone. Unfortunately, if I do that then my internet bill goes up $10-15. Almost what I saved. On the bright side the cable company is running a special of standard cable and internet for $68. That is about what I am paying for Dish right now. After all of this I'll be getting the same services and paying approximately $40 less per month.