Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Anyway, there are now people who knew this guy and are coming out to say that he is simply a nut case, and if anything, is a radical liberal.
So we can expect an apology soon from Paul Krugman?

Assassination Attempt In Arizona -

But violent acts are what happen when you create a climate of hate. And it’s long past time for the GOP’s leaders to take a stand against the hate-mongers.
Hmmm, I see he did supply an update - he's closed the comments section 'because the crazies are coming out in force'. What did these crazies have, facts instead of a rush to judgement?

Yep, time to drop all that 'free speech' stuff.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.
Krugman should stick to economics. Who made him a political expert?

Wherever you go, there you are.
(In other words, no whining!)
Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I haven't been following this event very closely (or the boards). Today, I went to see the excellent movie the King's Speech about the challenges of King George VI a life long stammer had when he suddenly assumed the throne, shortly before the start of WWII and was forced to have deliver public speeches and radio addresses. Terrific performances by everyone and a movie well worth seeing (although for you LYBM it will be fine on Netflix)

I then went and listened to President Obama memorial speech, which was also excellent. I think one of the problem is that highly partisan people forget/ignore that President has two distinct functions Head of State, and Head of Government. They let their passion either pro or con for how the president performs as political head of government, interfere with his ceremonial performances as head of state.

In a Parliamentary system, the prime minister is the head of government, and King/Queen (or president in a place like Russia) is the head of state. This separation allows people to love their King, but still hate the prime minister. There are a pro/cons to both system, but lately ours has been suffering from partisan extremist who seeks to make everything a political fight. While forgetting that for many Americans, politics aren't a life or death event but having a President who can act as good head of statement is important.

I don't often say good things to say about Michael Moore or his movies, but in Bowling for Columbine, I think he got one thing very right. Moore's only somewhat sarcastic explanation for the causes of Columbine shooting, was that maybe it was that fact that both kids went bowling that caused them to go on a shooting rampage.

In this case, like the vast majority of similar incident, the shooter was bat **** crazy.
One of the obvious things that pundits seem to forget is that reason we call somebody crazy, is because they DO CRAZY STUFF. Fortunately most crazy people don't do violent actions, but they all do things that normal people don't do. A good friend of mine has a crazy brother, and listening to their accounts (I see the guy most every holiday) his stunts are at times funny, scary, but mostly just baffling.

I am sure everybody will do a bunch of naval gazing, and we'll hear the normal prescriptions, better mental health treatment, stricter gun laws to prevent mentally ill people from getting guns, treating threats to public official more diligently yada yada. At the end of the day the important thing to keep in mind that in nation of 300 million+ the odds of being killed by a rampage shooting are roughly the same as hitting the lottery. Not something to unduly fret over.

On the other hand, I think folks who want to blame the shooters actions on politics are in word NUTS.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets
Krugman can't do Economics either. He's a dyed-in-the-wool Keynsian and as we can see from our incredible Recovery it doesn't work. It also didn't work back in the days of the New Deal.

The Stimulus was actually the amount he initially called for. Fast forward 2 years and according to Krugman the Stimulus didn't work because it wasn't big enough. What a clown!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #165
Having drifted into partisan political bashing, this thread is closed.

Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Closed Thread