Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Did I do this? I don' think so.
Nope, I thought the quote was relevant to the entire discussion.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

With all due respect, I think *any* media outlet which draws ratings and ad revenues from pushing polarizing political stories and analysis has a conflict of interest when it dismisses any call for civility and stopping the Springerization of political coverage as "awesome stupidity."

They don't want people to get along, to agree to disagree or to respect each other's dissent. It's not good for their bottom line. It's not a call for everyone to stop talking politics, to abandon principle or to all agree to meet in the middle just to get along. It's a call to stop hating each other because we may support the "wrong" team.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutAZ View Post
I have lived in AZ for 38 years and love it here. Sad to see that some in national media (Navarette - CNN.com) are indicting all in AZ for this. There are many, many wonderful people of all stripes down here. WE will all get through this
Arizona is as good as any other state, and better than some. Whackos commit murders all the time. About a month ago some maniac ran up behind a man in an alley here and killed him with an axe-blow to his head. A few days later another whacko threated a couple with an axe- they were smart enough to drive off pronto.

With zero evidence, too many people here and elsewhere are rushing to blame a state, a political movement, a political philosophy, for what appears to be a totally crazy person who has given numerous warnings in the past that he is crazy and possibly dangerous- but no warnings that any of this had anything to do with politics.

Ha
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Nope, I thought the quote was relevant to the entire discussion.
Fair enough. Given how hot the topic is, it is easy to be misunderstood.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 01-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, like this Twit (or is it Tweet... or both?) on @tomtomorrow (sorry don't know how to search so can't find specific cite.):

"Weird: rightwingers say movies, video games affect behavior -- but real world violent rhetoric from leaders & radio talkers have NO impact!" (Sun 09 Jan 13:42)

(Aren't projectile launchers the only things that come to mind when seeing crosshairs?)
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
With zero evidence, too many people here and elsewhere are rushing to blame a state, a political movement, a political philosophy, for what appears to be a totally crazy person who has given numerous warnings in the past that he is crazy and possibly dangerous- but no warnings that any of this had anything to do with politics.

Ha
I think that the responses here have been much more nuanced than this. I do agree that some outside of this forum have drawn conclusions about cause and effect that we cannot draw and probably can never draw given the complexities of human behavior.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now I´m sure I´m going to be kicked out of this Forum.......

Why has nobody mentioned the terrible consequences of almost unlimited access to all sort of weapons by all those weirdos.....

Moderators: I´m more than ready to take back my question -and apologize- if you consider that I am going too far.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

This is a tragedy...

We have to be glad that this happens so rarely that it does bring up so much discussion...

As an aside... I saw Dick Armey on a show this weekend and he said that this should be looked at by the psycologist... not any of the other (I do not know exactly what he said, but something like) professions like politicians etc. etc. (he named a few)... I think he sees this for what it is... a person who has little grasp to sanity doing something against society... if it was not this, then he would have done it against someone else...
Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Vicente, you are justified in being cautious of your question. Topics about gun ownership, partisan politics and religion are powder kegs on this discussion board.

(Gather round, folks. The hog calling contest is underway....)
Old 01-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems that the pathetic delusional murderers that do this sort of thing have as one motive the idea that they will gain status through the publicity they receive after the murders.
Perhaps if there was a policy of never referring to the individual at all by name, ever, outside of court, the pathetic delusional murderers of the future would find murder a less satisfying means of obtaining fame.
If they were all simply referred to as “that pathetic delusional murderer” (or perhaps “poor unfortunate mentally ill person” to be more politically correct), maybe some how this would serve to discourage the next one, or at least remove one possible motive.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Why has nobody mentioned the terrible consequences of almost unlimited access to all sort of weapons by all those weirdos.....
Agree with ReW; this thread has all the signs of turning into a hog-calling contest, a shame, since this is about the tragedy in Tucson.

Check your PM for the response I was going to post to your question above.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

This musical interlude is brought to you by my inner hippy.

Peace

Attached Images
File Type: jpg peace.jpg (139.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
This musical interlude is brought to you by my inner hippy.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Now I´m sure I´m going to be kicked out of this Forum.......

Moderators: I´m more than ready to take back my question -and apologize- if you consider that I am going too far.

I'll give a shot at responding without being too political. Wish me luck!

In a lot of ways this is water over the bridge. There are so many guns in the US that we can't do much to control them. We do enforce a "slow down and take a deep breath" waiting period before the sale of firearms by a dealer, but getting guns is easy here mostly because there are so many guns. As in more than a couple hundred million guns. There is no going back from that. You might want to read this wikipedia article on gun culture: Gun culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia We are not a culture that would put up with wholesale seizure of guns.

So how do we keep guns away from weirdos? We can't just bar the mentally ill from having guns. The mentally ill as a group are not any more likely than anyone else to be a criminal or do violence. Many states have laws designed to keep guns out of the hands of felons but given how many guns are floating around out there these laws are hard to enforce.

Opinions regarding guns and gun control in the US are divided more regionally than politically.

Vincente, you are always courteous when inquiring about US culture. I appreciate that.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:55 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

It's OK the be upset. It's OK to disagree. These are natural, human reactions. I'm hoping we can work together to better understand each other and find a way to prevent something like this from happening again. We all want the same thing really.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #56

Quote:
I long ago learned not to ask that question on any American forum. I think that we Europeans would do best to sit in a corner and eat our popcorn, and let the 'natives" discuss that one. Or not.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll give a shot at responding without being too political. Wish me luck!
Well played--and a balanced response. My finger was poised over the buzzer, too!
Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #58

Ok, I stand corrected. Won´t happen again, hopefully.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
just bar the mentally ill from having guns. The mentally ill as a group are not any more likely than anyone else to be a criminal or do violence.
IS there a reference to help with understanding this, as it seems counterintuitive?

Ha
Old 01-10-2011, 03:09 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok, I stand corrected. Won´t happen again, hopefully.
No reason to feel like you said anything wrong Vincente. You are always respectful and thoughful in your posts. I appreciate that. The question you asked is something many others wonder about, including myself. Unfortunately, we're not at a point yet where we can discuss such matters calmly. I'm hoping one day that will change.