Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
But a backward African country with 1.6 million bpd of light sweet crude, doncha know.

Ha
Ssshhhh!!! You know damn well This Isn't About Oil.

Its a wonder we have not found a humanitarian reason to invade Texas lately.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
FT.com / Middle East & North Africa - Rift over command of Libya campaign

Gotta love those Frenchies, like John Wayne they walk alone.

Ha
Did everyone else miss this part
Quote:
Other non-European Union members of Nato, including Norway, were included.
I always thought Norway was in Europe. Live and learn!

Old 03-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Norway is a piece of Asia that dripped over the top.

Ha
Old 03-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Surely, there are victims to be rescued from fire ants, scorpions, rattle snakes, Ebola virus, Mexican pirates, etc... Need to mount an invasion ASAP.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Surely, there are victims to be rescued from fire ants, scorpions, rattle snakes, Ebola virus, Mexican pirates, etc... Need to mount an invasion ASAP.
C'mon NW-Bound...the UN isn't going to authorize an invasion if there is a chance someone might get hurt.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Who's gettin' hurt?

Golly, these Texans we are tryin' to rescue shootin' us?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Who's getting hurt?

Gosh, these Texans we are trying to rescue shooting us?

Fire ants, scorpions, snakes? Mexican Pirates? Ebola? The UN would have to send in an advance team in a fleet of white vans to study the risks for a couple of years before actually doing anything, while they hold hearings in NYC, featuring empty rhetoric from our good friends AquaVelvaJahd and HugeEgo Chavez...
Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Who invited NATO for this Texan invasion?

I say we send troops in NOW, to evacuate these poor Texans ASAP. Of course some stubborn ones will need to be disarmed, or more forcefully persuaded to leave. Haven't we all read plaintive messages calling for rescue from some forum members, and from an ex-Moderator of their plight?

I will be in right behind you with my tanker truck, if you will show me where they stash their gasoline.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Norway is in Europe, but it's not part of the European Union.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

From another site. I expurgated the politcally inflammatory ones:

Quote:

Apparently the White House tossed out a number of perfectly good names before arriving at "Operation Odyssey Dawn":

9. Operation Organizing for Libya
8. Operation Double Standard
7. Operation FINE! I'll Do Something
5. Operation So That's What the Red Button Does
4. Operation France Backed Me Into A Corner
3. Operation Start Without Me
2. Operation Unlike Previous Wars This One Is Justified Because Hey Look A Squirrel
1. Operation Aimless Fury
Old 03-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Please hurry. There is danger affecting every area of our lives down here...especially now, with the Texas legislature in session.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is it just a coincidence that the UK and US pushed for action in Libya just as some are trying to reduce military spending?
Nothing is a coincidence; everything is part of a conspiracy...
Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #33

Your post is offensive. Can you imagine someone on this website writing a post saying "Gotta love" those "Wops", “Chinks”, “Japs”, “Kikes” ? Of course not. Using slurs against ethnic or cultural minorities is offensive. But calling the French “Frenchies” seems to be just fine.

Quote:
Gotta love those Frenchies
Ha
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:15 AM   #34
Administrator

I have never understood the modern antipathy toward the French. They were, after all, our country's first ally. Were it not for the victory of the Comte de Grasse in the Battle of the Virginia Capes, Cornwallis would have been resupplied and reinforced in sufficient numbers to break the siege at Yorktown and continue the war.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I have never understood the modern antipathy toward the French. They were, after all, our country's first ally. Were it not for the victory of the Comte de Grasse in the Battle of the Virginia Capes, Cornwallis would have been resupplied and reinforced in sufficient numbers to break the siege at Yorktown and continue the war.
Gumby, the North and the South usually make do just dumping on each other, but sometimes need a "go to country" they can both share in patriotic belittlement and disrespect. The one unique characteristic of France compared with other major European countries - the fewest immigrants to the US. Any other country and one would be insulting a large portion of US ethnic heritage.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I heard the latest is that the French surrendered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
It's worth remembering that Texans are heavily armed...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
It's worth remembering that Texans, are heavily armed...
Shhhhhh! We were hoping that it would be a surprise.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

First... that was a few hundred years ago....

Second, it was not that they liked US.... they hated the English...

Third... it is not just us... the English hate the French... Germany hates the French.... (heck, I bet the French hate the French).... and to be truthful, I don't think we hate the French... it is that they seem to always want to do something else that nobody else wants to do...
Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Actually, I admire their realpolitik.

When I said "gotta love those Fr.......", it in fact reflects my feeling toward them. They pay attention to the well being of France and the French people, not every Tom Dick and Harry on earth.

Ha
Old 03-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #40

Easy though it is to bash the French (I do it regularly), I don't think it's justified here:

- Keeping NATO out, formally, makes sense. Germany and Turkey, among other NATO member states, are not fully on board with this operation, which is in support of a UN resolution. NATO members have a treaty obligation to defend each other if they are attacked, which is manifestly not the case here.

- France has taken a leading role on the Libya question since the start. I suppose that this might well be with some gentle hints from the US, as it allowed the Obama administration to stay on the fence for some time - which, given their need to stay close to Israel and not be seen to repeat the mistakes of Iraq, is probably the right thing to have done.

- I'm very tired of every foreign policy intervention in the world being described as being "about oil", as if there is any precedent for it. Firstly, if it was about oil, the West should logically be propping up Gaddafi. Secondly, Libya's oil production dropped to almost zero several weeks ago, and all that happened was that the Saudis opened the taps a little.

Libya has to sell its oil to someone, and there is no OPEC domination today like there was in the 1970s. Even if fundamentalists take over every country in the Middle East, they will sell their oil to someone, and every barrel that China or Japan buys from them is a barrel less that they aren't buying from other countries who will supply it to us.

I remember, on the day the 2003 Iraq war started, receiving two Powerpoint files on the same day. One was a paranoid rant about how George Bush was invading Iraq to take control of its oil, force down the world price, and thus get re-elected on the back of cheap gas. The other was a paranoid rant about how George Bush was invading Iraq to take control of its oil, force up the world price, and thus make lots of money for himself and his Texas oil friends. I'm fairly confident that at least one of those was wrong. (I preferred the explanation that George Bush was an idiot. )