Game To Guess People's Accents

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Here is a fun online game where you listen to people recite two lines from a poem and then guess where they are from (from a multiple choice list---and choices can be pretty close, like Slovakia/Germany/Austria/Poland or US/Canada/New Zealand, etc.).

http://www.languagetrainersgroup.com/accent_game.html

Out of 16, I only guessed three correctly! I got a couple of extra points since I did correctly guess where someone from the US was from. A whopping total of 11 points! They even said "gee---you haven't traveled very much, have you? Your ability to spot accents around the world isn't very good...." And no, I haven't traveled that extensively, but I do watch a lot of foreign films, so you would think that would have developed my ability....

I'm curious to see how some of you do on this....

21 points, no bonuses for cities.

I just took it . I got 50 points but I guessed a lot and I have travelled quite a bit .

You guys are way better than me!

FIREdreamer, is that a tricolored calico cat? Cute!

Evil game! Thanks for sharing :)

First prize is a kiss from this gal:

FirstPrize.jpg

Get less that 16, and you get a handshake from this guy:

566px-Ernest_Borgnine_2006.jpg

You guys are way better than me!

FIREdreamer, is that a tricolored calico cat? Cute!

--
Tricolored female kitty?

---

Janet H. is right, evil game. I got six points, I guessed only the ones from the good ole U.S.A. but not their states. Get me to the train station.

Every time one of them said, "can you guess my accent," I said "no, but where did you get that outfit?"

Thanks for the prize, T-bone, Al; I'm going blind.:rant:

I got 25, and only because I guessed some cities correctly. I've been to most of those countries and thought I'd do better. What fun!

11 through some point and then got bored and wandered off.

Who's the old dude?

I'm not any better at guessing accents than I am stocks :D

16....and some of those were guesses!

I just may in line to get the hand shake.....

Some were confusing - the Chicagoan lady sounded british or something. The Lithuanian must have learned english from an Aussie (or in Australia). Some other Europeans sounded like they had learned english from UK folks.

Is there really that much difference between NZ and Australia? I understand Perth is quite different from "civilized" Australia (it has a "country" twang to it??).

Some people might consider him a jerk.

Why is that?

I tried a google search for "Ernest Borgnine is a jerk" but all I got were results that he, like most of the male population (and a fair number of the female population, although I'm sure they're less likely to admit it in mixed company), masturbates.

edit: I see, jerk is just a play on masturbate.

Is there really that much difference between NZ and Australia? I understand Perth is quite different from "civilized" Australia (it has a "country" twang to it??).

As someone who grew up on the west coast of the U.S. (and hence with that accent), when in Australia for 2 weeks it seemed like the Australians ignored some "r"s and put in extra "r"s at apparently random places. One guy spent thirty minutes trying to get me to pronounce "bird" properly and I never really got it. I only visited the east coast of Australia, though.
The New Zealanders, on the other hand, spoke what sounded like proper English English to me, but about twice as fast as I'm used to. At the airport, I couldn't understand so I told the lady selling me a ticket, "please, you must speak slowly and clearly, because I am an American."

NZ and Australia are something like 1000 miles apart, aren't they? Neither one seems to like to be lumped together with the other.

Back
Top Bottom