Join Early Retirement Today

Gap insurance more than I ever wanted to know
Old 05-15-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gap insurance more than I ever wanted to know

I guess I am lucky as my old firm provides a company that helps you choose the type of insurance to buy when you turn 65. It also kicks in a couple hundred each year. As important as it is I still hate this kind of stuff. Part A, B, D its enough to make your head spin. I wasn’t looking forward to the call yesterday.

1 hour and 45 minutes later I had a gap plan, a prescription drug plan and a dental plan. Lots of “I need to play and you to listen to this disclaimer.” Did i make a good choices? I hope so but one really never knows.

I did learn that one of the drugs i take will get a little costly each year around September. The ‘donut hole’ phenomenon then there’s the catastrophic limit ...Sweet Moses i hate it all.

I have to wonder how did healthcare get so screwed up.

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #2

Congrats for getting the job done. I remember that feeling. I retired from a megacorp that dealt with health insurance, and I was totally out of my league when signing DH up for Medicare. That said, had it not been for Medicare, I wouldn't have retired. Getting him to 65 and on Medicare was a HUGE piece of our retirement plan.

And, while selecting what plans you wanted was a pain, I must say that the 11 months he's been on it were far less annoying than having him on my megacorp family plan. We went with a Plan G and to date nothing has been denied and we only have to pay the reasonable premium and the $185 deductible each year. It is a dream when compared to experiences with UHC.

It is shocking how little the docs get paid for their Medicare patients. DH had a urology procedure last month, and the doctor bill was $18,000. He got a paid $2,000 after all the Medicare write-offs. Absolutely unbelievable.

Anyway, enjoy Medicare. I hope your experiences are as good as ours have been.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
We went with a Plan G and to date nothing has been denied and we only have to pay the reasonable premium and the $185 deductible each year. It is a dream when compared to experiences with UHC.

Anyway, enjoy Medicare. I hope your experiences are as good as ours have been.

I have the same plan same carrier - so good to hear
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote