Join Early Retirement Today

Garbage Disposer
Old 09-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Garbage Disposer

Looking for advice on buying a new garbage disposal. I currently have a 14 year old InSinkErator Badger 1/3hp that is starting to leak. Looking at getting the Badger 1/2hp for $75, but I also found a higher end InSinkErator Evolution Compact 3/4hp for $175 which I guess is much quieter. Not sure I can really justify the extra $100 since the 1/3hp seem to do the trick for us. Has anyone upgrade to the high end disposers and been very happy with the choice?
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been using the larger, better insulated ones and think they do work better. Less noise and less jams.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went through several of the low end Insinkerators before finally spending the extra $$ to get a high end model. The low end models didn't last and they were very noisy. I've had the high end model for several years now with no problems, and it is extremely quiet compared to the low end models. Definitely worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forumok
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Don't do it. They are not required.
Just change your piping to not use one at all.

I've never had one, and I just throw the scraps in the garbage vs making sewer system work harder. That is why sink plugs have strainers on them.

I'll admit my FIL changed his sink and had already bought a new one, so I replaced his with a new one.
But they are still a dumb solution to a non-existent problem IMHO
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Like Sunset, I do not have a garbage disposer. Initially I thought they were normal and necessary. But my prior house did not have one when I bought it. I intended to get one eventually but was LBYM'ing too brutally to have it done during the 13 years I lived there. During that time, I found out that actually they are not needed after all, and that my pipes did not clog up if I just used the strainer that sits in the drain hole in most sinks, and threw out anything that it caught.

So, my new home does not have a garbage disposer either, and I doubt I will get one. One advantage of not having one, is not having to free up one that gets jammed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wife had to argue with our builder because she didn't want one. He finally agreed not to install it. At our final inspection yep there was one. He offered to not charge us for it but she made him remove it. Over the years when we had one we never used it and found it just had bad odors. And yes I know how to clean them but we just feel like it is another convenience that is not needed.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:05 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just replaced an old 1/2 HP Insinkerator with this 1 HP Waste King model. Much quieter than the 20 year old unit, and plenty powerful for our needs. So far, so good.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

At last a thread that makes me feel vindicated. Bought our house in 1975, and in '77 the garbage disposal died. At the time we were raising 3 kids in diapers and were very poor. Plumber came out and said since we had a septic tank (and well water) that we shouldn't have one because it tended to play havoc with the septic system. Had it taken out. Fast forward to 2013, finally the city put in sewer lines, but we'd lived so long without a disposal, decided it wasn't worth having one installed. Got to admit a lot of people are shocked when they learn we don't have one.
P.S. Back in '77, plumber also said not to use colored toilet paper (white only), and to use the cheapest stuff we could find (Hello Angel Soft single ply!)
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Wow, all you "no disposer" types would love our old mayor. He pushed through a municipal code bill a few years ago banning disposers. It lasted about 1 month before the uproar forced council to revert the code.

We have one, but don't use to jam a lot of stuff down the drain. Just the occasional scrap that falls off a plate.

I usually get the same ISE version as before (they last about 12 years) because it fits right in without adjusting the pipes.

That would be my warning to the OP. If you do it yourself, a change in brand or even type in the brand will be more work than a direct replacement since you won't have to adjust piping. Keeping the same one means you won't even have to change the collar.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
And yes I know how to clean them but we just feel like it is another convenience that is not needed.
I think it might be expected if you or your heirs ever intend to sell.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Don't do it. They are not required.
Just change your piping to not use one at all.

I've never had one, and I just throw the scraps in the garbage vs making sewer system work harder. That is why sink plugs have strainers on them.

I'll admit my FIL changed his sink and had already bought a new one, so I replaced his with a new one.
But they are still a dumb solution to a non-existent problem IMHO

I play the middle, Sunset... I have one (13 years old put in when I had the house built) but I never use it and throw the scrapes in the trash. My GD was built to last a lifetime.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think it might be expected if you or your heirs ever intend to sell.

Ha
Really?

In 1991 I bought a house that had a garbage disposer. Subsequently I renovated the kitchen and got rid of it. I had no problem selling the house.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:56 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I love my garbage grinder and would never even think of getting rid of it. The cutting board goes right over the sink and I just shove the debris over after I'm done and down the drain. The trash can is nowhere close and would be a PITA to convey the scraps to.

And yes, when it gets stinky it's time to make margaritas and grind up 2 lime rinds.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Really?

In 1991 I bought a house that had a garbage disposer. Subsequently I renovated the kitchen and got rid of it. I had no problem selling the house.
Selling a home is a numbers game. Perhaps most people are like you, but when I was house hunting I don't ever remember seeing any home offered without a disposal.

Ha
Old 09-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #15

Until last year when we moved, the prior 19 years had been with a septic system so we had totally forgotten about garbage disposals. This house has one but we just about never use it. Rather than the standard sink strainer, we like this kind. We have a trash can just below the sink, so I just pick it up, tap it in the trash bag and replace it. Takes all of three seconds and obviates the need for a disposal. They're available in many sizes to fit any sink drain. Google "stainless mesh sink strainer" to find them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mesh.jpg (25.8 KB, 7 views)
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Selling a home is a numbers game. Perhaps most people are like you, but when I was house hunting I don't ever remember seeing any home offered without a disposal.
I've sold a bunch of houses and none had one. Nobody asked for one.

Sure if there is one, like a garage door opener it will be listed as having one, but when there is one the buyer immediately worries:
- does it work ?
- is it old or will fail soon ?
- does it leak ?
Old 09-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #17

Our insinkerator also began leaking from the upper housing areas--pin holes. Found such reviews on new insinkerators, finally ended up with a 1.25 American Standard that had much more grinding ability. American Standard 1.25 Waste Disposer for 90 bucks on line. I have seen them in our Costco as well. Install was pretty straightforward.
So far no issues after about 4 months.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradaz2488 View Post
Looking for advice on buying a new garbage disposal. I currently have a 14 year old InSinkErator Badger 1/3hp that is starting to leak. Looking at getting the Badger 1/2hp for $75, but I also found a higher end InSinkErator Evolution Compact 3/4hp for $175 which I guess is much quieter. Not sure I can really justify the extra $100 since the 1/3hp seem to do the trick for us. Has anyone upgrade to the high end disposers and been very happy with the choice?
I have the same 1/3hp Badger. It started leaking from the bottom after 12 years and I replaced it with the exact same unit. Very easy to install when you use the same unit. We don't really use it very much. We mostly scrape food into the trash. It's just there for the occasional bits that go down, or that come out of the dishwasher. So even though it's the low-end model, we get pretty good life out of it. Noise is not really a factor since it only gets used about 3 or 4 seconds per day. I can deal with that.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I've sold a bunch of houses and none had one. Nobody asked for one.

Sure if there is one, like a garage door opener it will be listed as having one, but when there is one the buyer immediately worries:
- does it work ?
- is it old or will fail soon ?
- does it leak ?
As I said, selling a house is a competitive game. I never said and never would say that discounts, other features etc. could not close thee gap, It does seem odd to me though that someone would worry about failure of a disposal. If it is not a desired feature, why worry about its failure?
Old 09-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As I said, selling a house is a competitive game. I never said and never would say that discounts, other features etc. could not close thee gap, It does seem odd to me though that someone would worry about failure of a disposal. If it is not a desired feature, why worry about its failure?
I was not clear, just meant as soon as something is there, then the buyer's can worry about failure.
I sold a house with a whirlpool bathtub, and the agent said she didn't put it on the listing because she was concerned folks would see the listing and think how expensive that tub will be to fix when the motor/pump stops working.
She wanted them to see the place before they saw the tub.