Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where do you store your trash and recycle containers?
In a garage 89 47.85%
Outside 82 44.09%
Other 15 8.06%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At both homes, trash and recycling containers are in a kitchen cabinet . At home, trash and recycling then goes into the garage, and then I take it to the recycling center . . . . usually on Saturdays. In Florida, trash and recycling goes into the bins and the trucks come around and pick them up.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Garbage....
On Elder Street where I grew up, the Garbage container was a galvanized can with a close fitting cover that hung on the front corner of the 3 car garage, in the back yard. Our world, at the time was very protective of the garbage. Only select items went into the garbage, and it was inconceivable that anything other than edible items would be put there. The Garbage Man wore a leather shoulder protector, and had carried a large container on his back, into which he dumped the garbage from the can. He then poured it into the back of the garbage truck, (which stank), and brought it to local farms, where it would be ground up and served to the pigs as food.
We would no more put inedibles into the garbage than we would eat them ourselves.
It was in the 1940's, and forever before then. During the war, it was patriotic, but just the norm, and we knew nothing else.
Everyone was very careful to keep the garbage cans closed tightly because of the smell and the bugs. The bottoms of the garbage cans were inevitably covered with white mealworms... just nature at work.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #43

We keep it in the garage. Sometimes there are odors but better in the garage than inside. Also the HOA does require that trash cans be concealed (except of course on collection days) preferably in the garage but not required.

At the old house with no garage they were kept by the back porch concealed behind a large bush.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Garage. The HOA police would come get us if we did otherwise. We can't even put them at the curb before 6.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Many HOA's, including where I live, require that your trash containers be out of sight. Most in my neighborhood keep it in the garage, some behind a wall.

Same here.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Growing up we had separate trash and garbage collection. The garbage was pretty awful. Mixing it in with regular trash is much better.
My in-laws in CA are limited to about 60 gallons of waste per week. Everything gets compressed and If it doesn’t all fit in the can they hold it till next week, negotiate with a neighbor that has excess room, or pay extra. I think it’s about $15 per bag
Old 10-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a open carport where we store our garbage cans.

We do not have a HOA within a 100 miles of where we live.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:40 PM   #48

Recycle is in the garage for convenience.
Garbage is outside.

Both large wheeled containers.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #49

Have a 64 gallon can with a lid that we keep out behind the barn . Once a week we take it to the dump . They charge us 2.02 .
DW spent her career in the garbage business so she is like Jada on the Walking Dead , loves dumps and trash.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Garbage....
On Elder Street where I grew up, the Garbage container was a galvanized can with a close fitting cover that hung on the front corner of the 3 car garage, in the back yard. Our world, at the time was very protective of the garbage. Only select items went into the garbage, and it was inconceivable that anything other than edible items would be put there. The Garbage Man wore a leather shoulder protector, and had carried a large container on his back, into which he dumped the garbage from the can. He then poured it into the back of the garbage truck, (which stank), and brought it to local farms, where it would be ground up and served to the pigs as food.
We would no more put inedibles into the garbage than we would eat them ourselves.
It was in the 1940's, and forever before then. During the war, it was patriotic, but just the norm, and we knew nothing else.
Everyone was very careful to keep the garbage cans closed tightly because of the smell and the bugs. The bottoms of the garbage cans were inevitably covered with white mealworms... just nature at work.
I remember that! Our food garbage went into a can that was buried at ground level in the back of the yard. The city garbage man would come each week, pull the can up out of the ground and carry it to the truck. He had a big leather sheath on his hip. Remember the worms too.

As kids we all wanted to be garbage men because they got to stand on the running board of the truck as it went down the street, hanging on with one hand...they were so incredibly cool doing that! (Mom was less impressed by my career decision announcement..."We'll see")

Then it got even cooler: At one point we ended up with rats hanging around the can! Dad got his .22 rifle and from the kitchen window dispatched about 5 of them! He'd probably go to jail for that now, but at the time....even more coolness.

Then came garbage disposals and all the cool stuff went away.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
As kids we all wanted to be garbage men because they got to stand on the running board of the truck as it went down the street, hanging on with one hand...they were so incredibly cool doing that! (Mom was less impressed by my career decision announcement..."We'll see")
You too?

Not only riding on the running board, but getting to operate that humongous compactor (we called it a "crusher"). That was way cool!

My mother had about the same reaction to my future career choice as yours did.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
You too?

My mother had about the same reaction to my future career choice as yours did.
Yes, and sadly I took another career path away from that just to please her. I'll never forgive her!
Old 10-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

The other reason that our garbage/trash goes in the garage at home is because at certain times of the year it would attract bears if left outside.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:17 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Not to derail this thread, but I don't think anyone has mentioned trash compactors that are installed under the counter. We don't have one, but a condo we used to rent regularly did. We were slightly afraid of it, so never used it. I never quite understood the value of this appliance.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
Not to derail this thread, but I don't think anyone has mentioned trash compactors that are installed under the counter. We don't have one, but a condo we used to rent regularly did. We were slightly afraid of it, so never used it. I never quite understood the value of this appliance.
Some places limit the number of bags you can put out, or charge hefty extra fees for over-the-limit bags of trash. That can make a compactor very valuable.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Some places limit the number of bags you can put out, or charge hefty extra fees for over-the-limit bags of trash. That can make a compactor very valuable.
I see. Someone should invent one for checked airline bags then.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:34 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
We had one in our old house... trash pickup was contracted and got to be over $30/month vs $4/bag.... so I bought the compactor used and for a family of 4 we usually had only a bag a week other than Christmas week.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:30 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Thinking about this thread - how far we have come environmentally. In the early 1960's, I don't remember our town having garbage pickup. I remember everyone burning garbage in 55 gal drums in their back yards. And dumping them at the "town dump" at the edge of town.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Yup... it seems that everyone had a burn barrel in the back yard back in the day.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #60
Administrator

and a big pile of rusted, flattened tin cans.