Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since my lot is wooded, I usually grow a few veggies (tomatoes, peppers, etc) in containers down on my pier and floating dock. It worked well the first few years, but two years ago, my tomatoes started disappearing overnight -- after a couple of nights, most of them were gone. Stayed up the next night to see what was eating them -- around 1 a.m. two muskrats climbed up on the dock and then onto the containers. Now I use chicken wire around the containers......or bum tomatoes from a friend who grows way more than his family uses each year.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

A high-school classmate in Pittsburgh once passed out photos of her critter-proof garden. She used 10-foot 4x4s sunk two feet into concrete (anti-deer-leaning, no frost heave), dug a foot-deep trench between the posts, and wrapped chicken wire around them from a depth of one foot to a height of eight feet.

The next year she roofed it over with chicken wire (to deter the one or two deer who didn't know they couldn't jump that high) and added a doorframe with a keylock (to defeat the raccoons who know doorknobs). And the year after that she installed a second, deeper layer of chicken wire to discourage a couple of deep-digging bunnies.

Talk about your $10 tomato. I told her that I had to hang CDs on fishing line between my tomato plants to keep the birds away. She doesn't talk about gardening anymore with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I once tried mountain lion urine to deter deer and it didn't work well.
I bet the mountain lion was pretty pissed off too, so to speak...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I bet the mountain lion was pretty pissed off too, so to speak...
Hey, if T-Al had his hands on a mountain lion, so to speak, he should have just chained him up for the growing season. A mountain lion would seem to provide plenty of garden protection from pretty much any sort of interloper short of a grizzly bear or a well-armed human.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Maybe invite the local redneck militia in for a little huntin'?
My neighbor had the redneck militia over at his place. They shot a doe. The injured doe and its fawn ran out into the street where they met their demise on the hood of my Corvette.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My neighbor had the redneck militia over at his place. They shot a doe. The injured doe and its fawn ran out into the street where they met their demise on the hood of my Corvette.
That's some fine huntin' there Ron. Using a Corvette is kinda the Elmer Keith School of caliber choice isn't it?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
That's some fine huntin' there Ron. Using a Corvette is kinda the Elmer Keith School of caliber choice isn't it?
The sad thing is that I wasnt doing more than 30 mph when I hit them. But it was just fast enough to kill the fawn and finish off the doe that was bleeding bad from the arrow going through it.

I called the police and they refused to come out. So I drove to the sheriff's office to get an accident report. They were amused that I hit 2 of them at once.

I called another neighbor to come get the meat, and the hunter was loading both of them into the bed of his truck when he got there.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I called the police and they refused to come out. So I drove to the sheriff's office to get an accident report. They were amused that I hit 2 of them at once.
I sure hope we're still talking about the deer here.

Quote:
I called another neighbor to come get the meat, and the hunter was loading both of them into the bed of his truck when he got there.
Now I really hope we're still talking about the deer...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post
I was going to suggest a shotgun or bow/arrow for the deer (deer steaks are pretty good).

With outdoor cats at our place, the smaller critters haven't been any threat to our garden.
Crossbow, quiet and quick; or maybe a hunting slingshot.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I sure hope we're still talking about the deer here.

Now I really hope we're still talking about the deer...
Yep - talking about the deer. I did not mow down the sheriff's deputy or neighbor and put them in a pickup