Join Early Retirement Today

Garmin
Old 08-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Garmin

We have had a Garmin for years, it is well past the point of map support, so we decided to purchase a new one and add a map of Scandinavia (where we will be going Friday). No problem updating the US map included in our purchase BUT Garmin will not recognize the password I set when registering the product and has not provided the promised temporary password necessary to log on.

What gives

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

This weekend I bought two Garmin Drive 5" USA LM EX GPS Navigator's for two sons. I downloaded Garmin Express. Gave it our e-mail address. Registered the two devices and updated the software and maps. No password was needed. I guess since the devices were connected and Garmin saw the unique serial numbers, that is secure enough. Even if someone stole a GPS and had our e-mail address, all they could really do is update the device. Not much harm there. Maybe you have a different work process.

latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I need to purchase the Nordic map. That is where I am having an issue.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Garmin themselves can't help? I'd think they'd be able to help better than we could, and I've had several Garmin devices. Best of luck.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Might a non-US map update be another purchase requirement? Just a guess.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Who knows as they do not recognize my password and their password recovery tool isn't working. I cannot access my account!!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I need to purchase the Nordic map. That is where I am having an issue.
I bought the Swiss/Austrian alps map a couple of months ago and had no problems at all. Are you using the Garmin Express software?
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Who knows as they do not recognize my password and their password recovery tool isn't working. I cannot access my account!!
Have you tried calling their help line, or using their online help resources?

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Have you tried calling their help line, or using their online help resources?

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/
+1

Old 08-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Smartphone + Here Maps = Free
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Although Garmin support can be difficult to get on the phone, only available on certain days. They also can be reached thru messaging. They do provide top notch support on their toys.
Bflotomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I finally got through on the phone with a rep. She, basically, told me to log on as if I had no account and establish a password. Then I purchased the map which they said would be available in 24-48 hours. Eh? Gosh, I hope it will download in enough time for me to catch my flight on Friday.

For a global company not to have customer service reps available on weekends is crazy.

FWIW my son received one of the first GPS units available to the public from Garmin as a graduation award from Cal Maritime. Before that it was top secret technology.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:43 PM   #13

Seems like with phones, Garmin's map days are numbered. I took one with me to see the solar eclipse thinking it would work better if no cell service. It probably would have at least worked, but the phones we able to "see" which roads had more traffic on them and plan a route accordingly. Garmin doesn't do that (to my knowledge). They do make a good product though. I have the lifetime maps on my GPS and I have a golf GPS. Still, seems like the phone being the one machine with multi purpose will win out.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Seems like with phones, Garmin's map days are numbered. I took one with me to see the solar eclipse thinking it would work better if no cell service. It probably would have at least worked, but the phones we able to "see" which roads had more traffic on them and plan a route accordingly. Garmin doesn't do that (to my knowledge). They do make a good product though. I have the lifetime maps on my GPS and I have a golf GPS. Still, seems like the phone being the one machine with multi purpose will win out.
I have one of their units built into a 2017 Honda. Does get "real time traffic", but only in metro areas. My home is not in one of those places though

Like you, have found Google and Apple maps able to provide more reliable traffic conditions and routing.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:24 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

In case you do not get the maps in time, I suggest a smart phone with Google maps as a back-up. You may have to buy a local SIM card. Everyone in Scandinavia has a cell phone and coverage is quite good even in areas that seem remote.

We are leaving Scandinavia and heading home today after a fabulous 3 week trip. We relied on my Google Fi cell service, which worked seamlessly. Data was $10 per GB, same as at home, and I ended up using about .5G more than in a typical 3 week period at home, and it was totally worth the $5. Google maps gave us very reliable walking and transit directions in all 5 countries we visited.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
Smartphone + Here Maps = Free
And Here Maps (now "Here WeGo") does not need a cell/data connection while on the road. Just download the maps at home on wifi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_WeGo

/wego.here.com

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And Here Maps (now "Here WeGo") does not need a cell/data connection while on the road. Just download the maps at home on wifi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_WeGo

/wego.here.com

-ERD50
Good tip - thanks for that!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:53 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Same with built in car nav, my iPhone is better than our Toyota nav systems at finding places/giving directions AND it updates constantly - unlike the built in nav systems I've seen/had which never update unless you pay some exorbitant fee. I don't want to pay for the built in nav in our next car, but they've all bundled them with other options DW wants, so we're trapped for now.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Same with built in car nav, my iPhone is better than our Toyota nav systems at finding places/giving directions AND it updates constantly - unlike the built in nav systems I've seen/had which never update unless you pay some exorbitant fee.
That's the advantage of using your phone or a free-standing Nav system (Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc.) In car Nav systems have always been a total rip-off.

I have a free-standing Garmin and in urban areas it does send alerts regarding traffic and construction. If a community doesn't have a public web site that carries that info, then, the Garmen, Google, etc. can't read the data and send the alert.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
.......... I don't want to pay for the built in nav in our next car, but they've all bundled them with other options DW wants, so we're trapped for now.
My car (Highlander) has the ability to syc with a smartphone to use the dashboard display as a GPS. Seems like a better alternative than the more expensive built in GPS navigation. I have not used it though, as I'm happy with my Garmin with traffic updates.