Garmin GPS fitness tracker

broadway

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was in the local Target and found the Garmin Forerunner 10 on clearance for half price. It is fitness tracker with a GPS.

I am not a runner.

I also looked into selling it on eBay for a profit, but past transactions showed them selling for less than I paid for mine.

Is there any advantage to keeping this fitness tracker with a GPS?

Can you return it? If you are not a runner and don't intend to "fitness" with it, bring it back.

Is that model a general step tracker or do you have to be outside using the GPS tech for it to work? Some of the Garmin's doubled as an inside fitness tracker and also were a GPS. You might need the 20 model to get those features.

In general, there are better fitness trackers. Samsung GearFit 2 or Pro is an example.

That's an old one, like 6 years old, which is pretty old in the fitness watch world. It's really just meant for running or walking: how far you went, how long it took you, and how fast you were going at any point. No counting steps, no heart rate monitor, no indoor mode on a treadmill. You could use it for swimming since it's waterproof, but you'd still need a GPS signal.

I was thinking that having the GPS is great, but after reading some more, it seems GPS signals aren't that great indoors.

Looks like I will be returning it to Target.

I never get a GPS signal indoors and I paid like $600 for my Garmin Watch. Well occasionally it will snag a signal. Even outdoors has issues at times. I am not a runner but I like the data, it keeps me honest and gives me incentive when the data shows me slacking.

You might want to look at some of the newer Garmin models. I have the Vivoactive 3 and like it a lot. It's lightweight and not overly big, some of the older Garmin models look and feel like boat anchors on your wrist. It has a GPS that can be used for different activities, I use it mainly for hiking, jogging, and golf. The golf app shows distance to front/middle/back of green and has a scorecard feature to track your score. It also has a built in heart rate monitor that to my surprise is very accurate. One of the reasons I selected it was that it also allows you to pair a chest strap with it to monitor your heart rate but haven't had to use it since the built in works fine, even when jogging.

What kind of activities are you looking to measure/monitor?

Back
Top Bottom