Gas Explosion at my house tonight...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The Mrs and I were watching Going in Style - free HBO until the new year when the small Jotul stove in front of the house exploded. It blew the front glass out. We (I) panicked shut off the thermostat then the shut the gas valve off. I just had the stove cleaned I was not confident in the service guys...

My son was at his computer 4 feet away unharmed. OMG. I am shook up. The Mrs is vacuuming up the shards of glass.. that stove cost about 3 grand all in and is about 8 years old.

That explosion scared the bejesus out of me...
The Mrs mention that it made whoosh sound that had worried so that’s when I had it serviced... yikes IMG_0228.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, sounds like good luck was with you in that no one was injured. Sorry to hear about this for you.

Was it "ON", and automatically turning ON/OFF when the thermostat called for heat?

If so, sounds like the gas valve opened, but the igniter didn't get it lit until a lot of gas built up.

I used to monitor my old furnace, every so often when I was down in the basement (and at the start of the season), I'd watch it start. I knew the routine - click ON, the draft inducer would whirrr for a few seconds until the barometric switch sensed it was 'sucking', then the main gas valve would come on, and that would "whoosh" a few seconds later as it was lit (standing pilot light). About 30 second in, the blower would start up.

My new higher efficiency unit is so sealed up, I can't easily see what is going on.

Shattered gas would be very scary, good that no one was hurt.

-ERD50

Wow, that would be so scary. I am so glad that no one was hurt.

Glad no one was hurt. Very scary. What are you going to do? Sounds like calling someone (other than the guys that recently serviced it) would be in order.

We have a gas log fireplace and the flame goes out sometimes and then re-lights 10-20 minutes later. I assume the oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) or an overtemp sensor is being triggered but I have not been able to confirm anything. Since it is about 20 years old, I started having it serviced the last 2 years. The guys that serviced it just look at me like I have 3 heads when I describe this issue. Last year it continued to flame out occasionally but this year it has been OK since the last service. The guy they sent seemed to be a bit more experienced and claimed the unit was in excellent condition.

Glad you're OK.

Glad no one got hurt....

Might be time to have strong words with that maintenance company....

:mad:

Details ..
I have two Jøtuls. I bought the first one and put in the den / kitchen area as it was always cold back there. We later discovered there was no insulation in the soffit above the kitchen cabinets - a quick fix. I then felt guilty because my hangout spot was warm and toasty. My tv viewing habits are pretty boring to the wife and kids; they hangout in the living room -So I bought the smaller unit for that room and that’s the one that blew up.

They are supposedly or were high end units I’m sure the big one was 5 grand and the smaller unit (bought on a close out) was probably 3 all in. Had them maybe 8 years. They have wireless thermostats and run when we don’t have electricity...that are battery operated.

These things have pilot lights...

Last edited:
Well, then, how about including keyboarding instructions on how to get the thingamajig with the diagonal line through it? (Also umlauts, cedillas, circonflexes etc).

Jøtul and not Jotul.

Glad to hear there were no serious injuries.

Might be time to contact ServPro and a good lawyer:confused:

If you don't have one already, it is definitely worth getting an explosive gas detector for the rooms with combustion appliances (to go with the CO detector, which should be standard and required, IMO). They don't cost much, and if this problem had resulted in a more extensive natural gas leak (outside the appliance to a level that would support combustion), the results might have been catastrophic.
Here's a combined CO/explosive gas detector for $55. Cheap insurance. And, it has a digital CO level display, which is also a "must" in my book.

Last edited:
Was it "ON", and automatically turning ON/OFF when the thermostat called for heat?

If so, sounds like the gas valve opened, but the igniter didn't get it lit until a lot of gas built up.

-ERD50

that's why I keep the pilot "ON" in my gas insert - scary

OP - glad no one was hurt!

Well, then, how about including keyboarding instructions on how to get the thingamajig with the diagonal line through it? (Also umlauts, cedillas, circonflexes etc).

If you ever want to type one of those funny characters on a PC (sorry, I don't know how to on a Mac) you can follow these instructions:
  • Make sure your "Num Lock" is on
  • Lookup the ASCII code for the character you want a page like this one.
  • The decimal for a ø is 0248, to enter it, hold down the "alt" key and enter 0248 on the number keypad

Just remember Alt+0248 (ø) is a different character than Alt+248 (°)

You now can type all these funny characters.

If you don't have one already, it is definitely worth getting an explosive gas detector for the rooms with combustion appliances (to go with the CO detector, which should be standard and required, IMO). They don't cost much, and if this problem had resulted in a more extensive natural gas leak (outside the appliance to a level that would support combustion), the results might have been catastrophic.
Here's a combined CO/explosive gas detector for $55. Cheap insurance. And, it has a digital CO level display, which is also a "must" in my book.
Thanks samclem! Despite the smell they put in gas, I seldom smell it. DW had to tell me the gas stove hadn't lit. Sure enough I'm at the burner and can't smell anything, she was across the room.

I'll buy today.

Thanks samclem! Despite the smell they put in gas, I seldom smell it. DW had to tell me the gas stove hadn't lit. Sure enough I'm at the burner and can't smell anything, she was across the room.

I'll buy today.
+1

Very good advice indeed. :)

Oh Wow. So sorry you guys had this happen. I am afraid of gas and don't have it in my home but did replace gas logs in the new condo I bought this summer with a wireless remote to turn it on and off. There is a CO detector.
This would be my worst fear. Again, Yikes and glad no one was hurt.

Glad no one was hurt and I hope you can get some answers about what happened.

Glad no one was hurt. Very scary. What are you going to do? Sounds like calling someone (other than the guys that recently serviced it) would be in order.

We have a gas log fireplace and the flame goes out sometimes and then re-lights 10-20 minutes later. I assume the oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) or an overtemp sensor is being triggered but I have not been able to confirm anything. Since it is about 20 years old, I started having it serviced the last 2 years. The guys that serviced it just look at me like I have 3 heads when I describe this issue. Last year it continued to flame out occasionally but this year it has been OK since the last service. The guy they sent seemed to be a bit more experienced and claimed the unit was in excellent condition.

Jazz, we have a gas fireplace that had the same issue. After tinkering around I found that behind the upper vent are 2 "covers" that look like a metal plate with about 1/2" of insulation below that are on hinges. I vacuumed around each to remove accumulated dust as I thought maybe they allow air into the firebox. Since then no issues with the fireplace going out due to lack of oxygen setting off the sensor and I now vacuum the "inlets" when cold weather starts approaching. :D

Back
Top Bottom