Join Early Retirement Today

Gas Grill Recommendations--
Old 12-07-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Gas Grill Recommendations--

Gas Grill recommendations, for under $400? 4-burner, stainless?
Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Gas Grill Recommendations--
Old 12-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #2

I just went through this myself a few months ago. If you search you'll find the thread with a lot of good info in it. - I finally went with a Vermont Castings Grill for about $450.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi kids,

BIL bought Vermony Castings on my recomendation via Consumer Reports. I continued research and there were some concerns about some rusting issues I discovered via Google. Sorry CT but never brought it up til now, Seems VC MAY use somewhat lowe quality Stainless steel.

I stumbled on a great deal on a Stainless Weber Floor Model and having a non stainless one for 10 years (upraded to Stainless racks and seasoning Bars 5 years) couldn't refuse. Gave this grill away when we FIRE'd and relocated in SC. Didn't want to ship nasty old grill and keep in storage for a month. Gas grill locked in with Matress wasn't appealing to DW....

Nephew I gave it to had an interesting observation. Bought $120.00 Charbroil, took care of it kept it covered all the time. Rusted out in a year. Bought another almost identical model. Said screw it. Left uncovered. Going on 6 years and he says it could still keep going except for the gift.

Makes sense to me. Condensation alone. Super Deal Weber came with a $80.00 cover never opened (for sale cheap) as I just drag it into the screen porch if I think it's gonna rain and let it BREEEAAATTHHHHHHH.

Good Luck.

W
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:20 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think mine is a Grillmaster. I am not certain of the name and it is down at my weekend place which I am not going to for a few weeks. I got it at Home Depot about two years ago for $299. Four burners, stainless case, porcelain grills (I think), some kind of advanced (for me) starter. It has worked flawlessly.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:41 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Vermont Castings uses 409 grade SS which may develope minor rust after several years if you don't use the cover. 304 SS will never rust if left outside and is the type of Stainless used for comercial kitchens. When I looked for a grill, I narowed mychoice between VC, Weber, and Ducane. Weber bought out Ducane several years ago. I ended up with VC simply because it was the end of the season and they gave me the best deal. This time I went with natural gas (NG) instead of propane (LP) since I got the rotisere and the side burner. The NG model is usually between $50- $100 more depending on the options and the NG itself is cheaper, burns cleaner, and since my house in on NG I never have to worry about running out.

The NG and LP models have different orifices, regulator and hoses.

PS, place a magnet on an Stainless Steel if it grabs it's not 304 grade.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Raise your budget to $500, but a Weber Genesis........problem solved........

I ahve had mine 10 years, leave it outside in a cold climate, and it runs like a good Swiss watch..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:30 AM   #7

We have a cheaper version Grillmaster... I think we've had it going on 8 years now. Had to change the burner out a year ago. Other than that it works like a champ. We keep it in the garage when we are not using it. That might explain the longevity.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #8

Got mine at Cosco for $800 - they have less expensive models. This grill was a good investment - it has 2 side burners for boiling water for corn etc - a rotisery and 4 burners. I cook on it at least 5 times per week - have had it for 3+ years and it still looks/works like new - being all stainless
Old 12-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #9

I usually buy a cheap one (about $100-$150) at walmart or HD, take good care of them (i.e. under cover and out of the rain) and usually get 10+ years out of them (except the starters which *always* go early). Never could see the point in paying big bucks for one.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok, I know this is a wet blanket, but if you're really serious about your bbq'ing you will eschew the gas & cook with the real stuff - real charcoal NOT briquettes.

http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/

Use the $ you save on the patio mercedes & spend it on the food (think grilled lobster, for example).

BTW, a charred weenie to the first poster to name the inventor of the charcoal briquette.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:46 PM   #11

Henry Ford, was it not? As in Kings-Ford.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I appreciate all the suggestions!

Bobit, I think like you do! " Patio Mercedes," What an apt description!

I may buy one of these monsters, for my son. He wants a 4 burner stainless. I
can't imagine who he plans to cook for, unless he's running a homeless shelter
out of his house. :

I don't do alot of outdoor cooking. I replaced my gas grill, with a charcoal
Hibache (sp) but, I don't need to grill 28 burgers at a time, or feed the 101st
Airborne Division.

My best wishes, to ya'll!!

By the way, Where do you dind real charcoal??
Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #13

I have a built in Viking with a rotisserie attachment. It is worth every penny I 'overpaid' for it!
Old 12-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I meant, "Where do you find real charcoal?"
Old 12-09-2006, 09:18 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance Kid
I meant, "Where do you find real charcoal?"
I get it at Lowes'. They and other stores offer the Cowboy brand pretty cheap. http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/

What's interesting in that they apparently use hardwood flooring scraps - you sometimes find tongue-and-groove charcoal! . I light it with an electric element; one of those chimney things would also be good, but NEVER the lighter fluid :P

Or you could make your own; might be an interesting thing to try - I used to work with some Iranian engineers who did it. It's going on my to-do list for ER.

BTW, congrats & a charred weenie to OldMacdonald; Henry did in fact invent the briquette.