Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-13-2010, 11:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
So I am writing in hopes that someone can tell me if 4 burners are better than 3, if infrared is worth the money, if we buy a non-cheap grill will it actually last longer... and so on. We'd like to stay under $300 but if I was sure it would last a long time, I might pay more. I need a medium sized grill.

Should I just buy a cheap grill and figure it's a throw-away after 3 years... maybe. The thing is, I really like to cook so I'd like one that is good and lasts but doesn't cost $700.

So - help? Any advice is welcome.
I decided 3 grill burners would be plenty for me. Actually I could get away with 2.

But I decided that I also wanted a side (pot) burner for warming sauce or perhaps a side dish cooked outside while I'm grilling.

Flavorizer bars and cast iron grates....
Ability to tuck some smoked wood chips somewhere for flavor on occasion.

I know some folks swear by the infrared thing. I don't think it's that important to me, although I may feel otherwise it I ever start using a rotisery.

Good temperature control.....

Lit hood for evening grilling — light comes on when you open the hood.

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I have a Weber Genesis SS grill; love it. It was a freebie of sorts, for 25 years of slavery loyal service to my former megaconglomocorp...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Do you use the cover regularly? I'm actually thinking about not bothering it can get pretty windy around here. Seems like the enamel finish would stand up well. Maybe the stainless steel parts would start to look nasty....

Audrey
I do use the cover regularly but sometimes it goes a couple of weeks without being on. The cover does keep it cleaner from bird crap, tree sap and such. The covers last forever. Mine is 10 years old and is perfect, just a little faded.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't do indirect or low temp grilling which is a little limiting.
Last night I cooked chicken thighs, and just ran it on low the whole time. About 13 minutes per side, and Gertrude told us when they were ready. They were perfect.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #25

We have a Weber Genesis SS - its awesome. But I have to get the igniter working again since its corroded to the point where it wont start with the switch.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Last night I cooked chicken thighs, and just ran it on low the whole time. About 13 minutes per side, and Gertrude told us when they were ready. They were perfect.
Oh, I won't grill without my remote temperature sensors! No way! Not when culinary perfection can be achieved with just a little high-tech assistance!

LOL!

Audrey
Old 06-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmm. All entertaining and enlightening! We saw a grill for $300 at Costco yesterday with cast iron (not porcelain-covered) grates and I can't remember what else. It looks pretty good and solid and Costco is great on quality and returns. I'm thinking about getting this one.

We were in a big hurry so I didn't look thoroughly. I don't think it had a side burner but is definitely larger than what I have (which I want). It was some brand I hadn't heard of - Tuscany, I think?

We don't have an outdoor kitchen and we spent a lot fixing up the indoor kitchen in the past few years. So... maybe this. Better $300 than $700 in this case. Any thoughts?

I do culinary perfection by the old-fashoned poke it and see if it's done method
Old 06-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Webers will last the longest by far. I anted up and got a Weber E320 at Lowes a few months back. This replaced an old Weber Genesis that was 15 years old. The neighbor's kid refurbished it and he uses it all the time..........they last forever.......

Sometimes saving a few bucks makes you kick yourself later..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I can offer assistance with what to NOT buy. We bought the $139 (gas) metal kettle with lots of plastic everywhere else. It had flat face that ran from top to bottom. We kept it on the back porch. Metal at the top with lots of plastic made it top heavy and a slight wind blew it over after 3 weeks. Broke the handle for the lid and most of the plastic knobs off.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

A lot of people swear by Weber's but I wonder if they would hold up on my deck ? I live on the Bay so the salt corrodes everything .
Old 06-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
A lot of people swear by Weber's but I wonder if they would hold up on my deck ? I live on the Bay so the salt corrodes everything .
We rent a place on Cape Cod every summer and they have an older weber stored outside not 50 feet from the ocean and it seems fine also.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
We rent a place on Cape Cod every summer and they have an older weber stored outside not 50 feet from the ocean and it seems fine also.
The Weber charcoal kettles were impervious to harm. However, they are not expensive or complex compared to gas grills. I gave away my 18" Weber kettle after several years of using gas. I like the speed and lack of fuss, with the gas grill.

I just read a bad review of the Costco grill brand (Tuscany) that I mentioned earlier... have to sort this one out. My S.O. thinks because my first cheap gas grill lasted 10 years (with one burner replacement) that a new cheap gas grill will do the same. I'm not so sure...
Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #33
Administrator

We currently have an ancient (>15 year old) Weber gas grill, dual burner (front and back), but no side burner. I have replaced the flavorizer bars but not the porcelain coated grill bars (which are admittedly in rough shape). When it finally bites the dust, I want one of these

R.H. Peterson

We have never had the side burner and I don't think I would ever use one. I can also do without the rotisserie attachment. The complete stainless steel construction appeals to me, since the grill will sit less than 150 feet from the ocean.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought a BBQ with a side burner so I would have something to cook with if the power went out for any length of time. I've never used it.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #35
Administrator

We got a Minden grill a few years ago and find the side burner useful for boiling big pots of stuff - keeps the house cool. Lobsters, pickles, anything in a giant pot gets cooked outside. You can customise the grill to have the features you want e.g. side burner, cutting board, etc and they come in a variety of colors. So far, it's aging gracefully. You can find deals on amazon - but here's the corp website Minden Grill*::*BBQ Grills
Old 06-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a $300 fiesta 3 burner +side burner for $130 on sale 5 winters ago. A few of the plastic pieces on the front broke rather quickly, but the overall workings of the grill are great. We did break a handle once....but that was human error!

If i ever get another grill, it will be natural gas. Should take me less than an hour to run the 25 feet of gas line needed to power a Nat Gas grill.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 on using charcoal instead. The Weber is bombproof. I have the performer.

Weber Grills and Accessories

It easily starts the coals with propane.
Has plenty of room under the cover.
Has a nice work area.
A couple of baskets of coals burns for hours allowing me to cook and smoke big items like turkeys and hams for next to nothing.
No burners to rust.
Easy cleaning. Has a catch for ash deposits which I dump into the garden.
No fires to burn the meat, unless you want it.
The final product just tastes better.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
I got a $300 fiesta 3 burner +side burner for $130 on sale 5 winters ago. A few of the plastic pieces on the front broke rather quickly, but the overall workings of the grill are great. We did break a handle once....but that was human error!

If i ever get another grill, it will be natural gas. Should take me less than an hour to run the 25 feet of gas line needed to power a Nat Gas grill.
If you used a propane tank it wouldn't matter how far you were from the gas line........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We currently have an ancient (>15 year old) Weber gas grill, dual burner (front and back), but no side burner. I have replaced the flavorizer bars but not the porcelain coated grill bars (which are admittedly in rough shape). When it finally bites the dust, I want one of these

R.H. Peterson

We have never had the side burner and I don't think I would ever use one. I can also do without the rotisserie attachment. The complete stainless steel construction appeals to me, since the grill will sit less than 150 feet from the ocean.
Yeah - and I want the house and outdoor kitchen to put it in too!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
Yeah - and I want the house and outdoor kitchen to put it in too!
The first time I opened the link it went to a built-in outdoor kitchen - the second time to a normal grill - duh. I'm thinking you mean the normal grill. Looks expensive but wonderful.