Gas Grills - need help deciding!

I have run out of propane more than once.... and thought of installing a gas line out to the patio. Good idea!

Yep, that's one of the things that we put in our courtyard for the new house. I'm tired of dealing with propane bottles. Plus it leaves the cabinets under the grill free for other stuff.

I think the 10 ft line that comes with the grill will be enough for me since the connection is right at the kitchen counter.

Audrey

I bought 2 identical grills (one for the house, one for the lake) ... then when one of them "died" (center tube rotted out) I stripped the good tubes and trays to use on the other grill.

Would have bought the same one again ... but it's been modified too much to make the parts swap.

Been my experience that knowing HOW to grill is more important than the grill itself.

I got a Q-200 and have been happy with it. The cast iron grate is HEAVY. I wanted something I could take inside so it would get ruined (I'm not good with grill covers). I can do that, but the grill is still pretty heavy.

The 200 was only a bit more than the 100, so I got it. The 100 is much smaller, so probably more portable.

I got the propane tank adaptor, so I can use my old grill propane tank. Local hardware store fills them up cheap. The 200 can also use those little cylinders of propane, 4 for $10. I may keep some on hand in case I take it on a trip or in case I run out of propane in the big tank.

I have been reading all this with great interest - thank you, any more info is very welcome. The bottom line is we spent a lot of money on good appliances, counters, etc. for the kitchen and don't want to add an expensive grill. (over $300). So... we are still looking and hoping we find something that cooks and doesn't disintegrate in a year.

I asked how much it would cost to fix the current one - needs new burners, new ceramic briquets, a new grate... guestimate is $80 and that just seems insane to spend on a 10 year old cheap (then) grill. Too bad we didn't replace earlier - apparently the price has gone up dramatically in the last 2 years.

Sears is having a sale. Lowes is having a sale (sort of). May just buy a basic cheapish one and see how long it lasts. Or - they are giving one away at the local grocery store so if my name gets picked this weekend - I get a free one! I can dream... :whistle:

I do have a GREAT kitchen now :D

Thinker25, since you can't quite make up your mind what to get now, I would think that getting a 'cheap' grill for immediate use might make the most sense. You will then have more time to find what you want, as well as build up some money to get it (or get over how much you spent on the kitchen). If I didn't get my Weber Q320 over Memorial Day weekend, I was contemplating doing the same thing. My previous grill was a 'cheap' no-frills 2-burner Char-Broil gas grill that lasted us 15 years. The last 2 or 3 years it was out uncovered in some pretty nasy winter weather. Around here, I think Lowes is having a Father's Day sale on the 'cheapest' Char-Broil gas grill for less than $90.

As Tryan said, it isn't the grill equipment that counts, it's how you use it.

Well?....thinker25, what did you get?

After all of the ideas and comments I have fallen in love with the Weber Genesis S320 (stainless)....thanks to those who pointed in that direction! :biggrin:

After all of the ideas and comments I have fallen in love with the Weber Genesis S320 (stainless)....thanks to those who pointed in that direction! :biggrin:
Glad to know I'm not the only one! Although I'm going with the enamel version with cast iron grates (E320).

Audrey

Glad to know I'm not the only one! Although I'm going with the enamel version with cast iron grates (E320).

Audrey

Ohhhh...stop it! Every time I think I have my mind made up.....:uglystupid:

Ohkaaay.....I'll take a look at that too.....:(

Thanks!!

We didn't want to spend the money for a Genesis (sigh) so we ended up with a Sears stainless steel grill with 4 burners (plus side burner) that was on sale for much less. We (he) just put it together so I haven't cooked on it yet. Crossing fingers that it holds up at least for a while!

Thanks for all the help - this was fascinating to read even if I didn't end up with the Genesis which was what I wanted from a cook's point of view. I think what we bought is a good compromise.

Hey, our last grill lasted 10 years so maybe this one will too. The burner warranty is 10 years on this one. We shall see... :D

Wow! I never thought it'd be THIS GOOD!

I just wanted to follow up on this thread about gas grills.....

I bought the Weber Genesis S320 natural gas grill and had it connected to the natural gas supply from the house....all about a month ago....and I have to say that I never knew what I was missing!

The convenience of being able to walk out on the deck and fire it up without worrying about the propane tank having enough fuel (or so I've read :blush:) makes this grill an absolute pleasure to use....and while I'd still only claim to be in the novice stage of trying to become a master griller, the burgers have NEVER tasted better....the rib-eyes are mouth watering good....corn on the cob cooked in the husk without doing ANYTHING is the best corn that I have ever eaten....my "sweet onions and taters" are constantly requested....I have even roasted a slab or two of ribs and while a can't yet claim them to be the best I've ever had, I'm getting better every time :angel:

This grill (along with the new deck that it sits on) are absolutely the BEST NON-LBYMs items that I have "invested in" since tackling this here retirement thingy.....

Chicken breasts with onions and taters tonight.....mmmmmmmm....

Yum yummy! :greetings10:

Thanks for letting me share!

I bought the Weber Genesis S320 natural gas grill and had it connected to the natural gas supply from the house....all about a month ago....and I have to say that I never knew what I was missing!

The convenience of being able to walk out on the deck and fire it up without worrying about the propane tank having enough fuel (or so I've read :blush:) makes this grill an absolute pleasure to use....and while I'd still only claim to be in the novice stage of trying to become a master griller, the burgers have NEVER tasted better....the rib-eyes are mouth watering good....corn on the cob cooked in the husk without doing ANYTHING is the best corn that I have ever eaten....my "sweet onions and taters" are constantly requested....I have even roasted a slab or two of ribs and while a can't yet claim them to be the best I've ever had, I'm getting better every time :angel:

This grill (along with the new deck that it sits on) are absolutely the BEST NON-LBYMs items that I have "invested in" since tackling this here retirement thingy.....

Good choice. Way to go. Hope you enjoy many fine years of grilling.

Nice report! When's dinner ready? We're all on the way! :)
Even better, let's all go over. Make it a forum thing.

Hey VaCollector - what are you doing this weekend?:D

Great idea. We can ask Audreyh1 to organize it

Wow, that's great!

I am so jealous. I am waiting for my Genesis (E320 version) natural gas grill until a) it cools off A LOT and b) I get the plumbers out to put on my gas quick connect do-hicky. I was thinking about waiting until the outside counter was built - late fall probably - but maybe I won't wait for that last bit.

I'm delighted with your delight. I just so look forward to have the real-estate, and higher grill surface, and multiple burners!!!!! And being able to cook some things at lower temps.

That is great that you are so happy with your grill.

Not everything should be minimal $$$. Spending money on the key items that make life fun is very important. Sounds like you are making the right kind of investments.

Audrey

P.S. pass a long a link to your ribs recipe that you are seeking to perfect. I have one I am working on myself.

Back
Top Bottom