Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
If you used a propane tank it wouldn't matter how far you were from the gas line........
but it would matter when i'm half way through grilling and i run out of fuel.......

I should have also noted that we do not EVER use that side burner...seems like a waste to us....nor do we use 3 burners at once except to expedite warm-up times
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
but it would matter when i'm half way through grilling and i run out of fuel.......

I should have also noted that we do not EVER use that side burner...seems like a waste to us....nor do we use 3 burners at once except to expedite warm-up times
I have run out of propane more than once.... and thought of installing a gas line out to the patio. Good idea!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker25 View Post
I have run out of propane more than once.... and thought of installing a gas line out to the patio. Good idea!
We had a natural gas grill many years ago when we lived in Kansas - worked great. We're not in Kansas any more, so now we have propane.

Most propane grills can be converted to natural gas by changing out the orifice. Depending on how difficult it is to access the orifice in your particular grill, this can be very easy or a real PITA. (Natural gas is under much lower pressure so the orifice needs to be larger to have an adequate supply to the burners.)
Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #44

Many years ago we bought a very expensive Dukane. It didn't work very well, but made up for it by rusting out its burners quickly. We replaced it with a plain old Weber, at less than half the price, and loved it.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Many years ago we bought a very expensive Dukane. It didn't work very well, but made up for it by rusting out its burners quickly. We replaced it with a plain old Weber, at less than half the price, and loved it.
Could you please define "plain old Weber"? What model... Plus is the Spirit series not worth the money?

I'm seeing a consensus here that Weber is the best (with a few notable others). I also see a serious argument in my future if I want to buy a $700 grill.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
I always keep a full spare tank in the garage for such emergencies. If I lived out in the boonies I'd probably get a large tank and have it periodically refilled.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Could you please define "plain old Weber"? What model... Plus is the Spirit series not worth the money?

I'm seeing a consensus here that Weber is the best (with a few notable others). I also see a serious argument in my future if I want to buy a $700 grill.
Sorry. Don't remember the model, and it went out with the downsizing. I'm sure the models have changed anyway.

It wasn't anywhere near $700!
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
I Was in the Same Boat Earlier This Year
Old 06-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I Was in the Same Boat Earlier This Year

Thinker25, I was in the market for a replacement gas grill earlier this year as well. Like you, I was having a hard time figuring out which grill to get and what features I thought were worthwhile. Right before I purchased mine – a Weber Q 320 – I found a BBQ forum appropriately titled www.bbqsource-forums.com. In the first General Discussion section, someone developed a ‘sticky’ post titled “Read This If Looking New Grill”. Here’s a link to that post http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=6815.

In a nutshell, this guy makes the point that about 2 years ago, due to the high cost of quality metals (especially stainless steel), you can probably now distinguish the quality and longevity of most grills (not all, of course) by determining if they are manufactured prior to 2008 and those manufactured from 2008 on. He also makes some interesting comparisons of price points for grills – even paying the $700 you mention might not get you a grill that lasts as long as you think it might.

By the way, another part of the bbqsource-forums that was helpful to me are the two forums on grills made in the US and those made elsewhere in the world , both of these are right below the General Discussion forum. There are some interesting posts on a number of well-known grill manufacturers by people actually who own them.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #49
gone traveling

Unless you are married to the idea of cooking with dead dinosaurs, I would highly recommend a Traeger Pellet Grill/Smoker.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:47 AM   #50

I bought my brother-in-law a grill as a bribe housewarming gift a month or two ago. From the online reviews it appears that everything except a Weber will rust away in a year or two.

The Home Depot gas Weber grills have a different set of grates than is available elsewhere. It's a very nice triangular coated iron grating, much better than the stamped coated steel on the Spirits elsewhere. I started staking out Home Depot's for a sale on the Spirit 210 (no side burner) and found one for well under $300, but I think it was a pricing mistake. It only has two burners, and there seems to be a big gap between them, but it seems to cook just fine, makes lovely grill marks, and the reviews report even temperature across the grilling area.

If I move into a house one of my first buys will be a Weber Spirit 210.

There are Spirits with three burners and Spirits with side burners, but I didn't consider them.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:02 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, that's one of the things that we put in our courtyard for the new house. I'm tired of dealing with propane bottles. Plus it leaves the cabinets under the grill free for other stuff.

I think the 10 ft line that comes with the grill will be enough for me since the connection is right at the kitchen counter.

Audrey
Old 06-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #52

I bought 2 identical grills (one for the house, one for the lake) ... then when one of them "died" (center tube rotted out) I stripped the good tubes and trays to use on the other grill.

Would have bought the same one again ... but it's been modified too much to make the parts swap.

Been my experience that knowing HOW to grill is more important than the grill itself.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #53

I got a Q-200 and have been happy with it. The cast iron grate is HEAVY. I wanted something I could take inside so it would get ruined (I'm not good with grill covers). I can do that, but the grill is still pretty heavy.

The 200 was only a bit more than the 100, so I got it. The 100 is much smaller, so probably more portable.

I got the propane tank adaptor, so I can use my old grill propane tank. Local hardware store fills them up cheap. The 200 can also use those little cylinders of propane, 4 for $10. I may keep some on hand in case I take it on a trip or in case I run out of propane in the big tank.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #54

I have been reading all this with great interest - thank you, any more info is very welcome. The bottom line is we spent a lot of money on good appliances, counters, etc. for the kitchen and don't want to add an expensive grill. (over $300). So... we are still looking and hoping we find something that cooks and doesn't disintegrate in a year.

I asked how much it would cost to fix the current one - needs new burners, new ceramic briquets, a new grate... guestimate is $80 and that just seems insane to spend on a 10 year old cheap (then) grill. Too bad we didn't replace earlier - apparently the price has gone up dramatically in the last 2 years.

Sears is having a sale. Lowes is having a sale (sort of). May just buy a basic cheapish one and see how long it lasts. Or - they are giving one away at the local grocery store so if my name gets picked this weekend - I get a free one! I can dream...

I do have a GREAT kitchen now
Old 06-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Thinker25, since you can't quite make up your mind what to get now, I would think that getting a 'cheap' grill for immediate use might make the most sense. You will then have more time to find what you want, as well as build up some money to get it (or get over how much you spent on the kitchen). If I didn't get my Weber Q320 over Memorial Day weekend, I was contemplating doing the same thing. My previous grill was a 'cheap' no-frills 2-burner Char-Broil gas grill that lasted us 15 years. The last 2 or 3 years it was out uncovered in some pretty nasy winter weather. Around here, I think Lowes is having a Father's Day sale on the 'cheapest' Char-Broil gas grill for less than $90.

As Tryan said, it isn't the grill equipment that counts, it's how you use it.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #56

Well?....thinker25, what did you get?

After all of the ideas and comments I have fallen in love with the Weber Genesis S320 (stainless)....thanks to those who pointed in that direction!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:57 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post

After all of the ideas and comments I have fallen in love with the Weber Genesis S320 (stainless)....thanks to those who pointed in that direction!
Glad to know I'm not the only one! Although I'm going with the enamel version with cast iron grates (E320).

Audrey
Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only one! Although I'm going with the enamel version with cast iron grates (E320).

Audrey
+1 on the weber genesis. I'm pretty happy with mine.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post

Audrey
Ohhhh...stop it! Every time I think I have my mind made up.....

Ohkaaay.....I'll take a look at that too.....

Thanks!!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post

We didn't want to spend the money for a Genesis (sigh) so we ended up with a Sears stainless steel grill with 4 burners (plus side burner) that was on sale for much less. We (he) just put it together so I haven't cooked on it yet. Crossing fingers that it holds up at least for a while!

Thanks for all the help - this was fascinating to read even if I didn't end up with the Genesis which was what I wanted from a cook's point of view. I think what we bought is a good compromise.

Hey, our last grill lasted 10 years so maybe this one will too. The burner warranty is 10 years on this one. We shall see...