Join Early Retirement Today
Gas Mileage
Old 01-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Gas Mileage

Gas Mileage Tips - Driving More Efficiently

Drive Sensibly

Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. It can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town.

One of those things I always wonder about:

I see it over and over again that hard braking hurts your gas mileage but WHY? I am sure it is not good for your BRAKES.. but can someone explain - how does rapid braking hurt gas mileage?

JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's not the braking itself but an indication of wasted momentum, and thus gasoline.

GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
I am guessing it isn't the braking so much as what the hard braking means.
If someone is zipping along and comes to a screeching halt, they are keeping their foot on the gas pedal longer than someone who starts coasting further back, such that they slow down more gradually.
Zathras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
What GaryHare says. Staring at my fuel monitor instead of the road has shown I get about 10% better mpg if I can coast to a stop, or as close as reasonable, and start up very slowly. I actually did it for a week to see if it helped, about 250 miles. Having to stop at all is the problem as well as speeds over 55. I also got a bit better mpg not using cruise.

I now drive like a normal male, way too much effort to drive so conservatively.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #5
Driven the exact same suburban/urban route to w#rk for many years. I've come to realize that (in pre-rush hour traffic) it takes me ~30min NO MATTER HOW AGGRESSIVELY I DRIVE! Believe me I've been late/stressed & tried to push it with jack rabbit starts/stops & weaving through traffic but I pull into garage within +/- 2min no matter what. Speed up to make one light & it sets ya up to miss the next. Interestingly some of my best times have been driving conservatively, which I'm sure is just 'luck of the stoplights'. Fact is you are going no faster or further than the bumper or stoplight in front of ya. Now I just drive easy 'cause I know the stress of fighting traffic for a few yards of urban asphalt means NOTHING in terms of time saved.

OTOH- mileage is a different story. Driving consistently aggressively in my mid-size sedan (4cyl) I ave ~22mpg (actual gas in tank, not car's computer) over several tankfuls. Driving a bit conservatively (keeping up with traffic but NO exotic hypermilling techniques) I consistently ave 27-28mpg.

GrayHare's absolutely right. Braking itself is not wasted energy but wasted momentum. Whatever speed you scrub with those brakes is energy (gas) you must spend gaining back momentum. (YMMV driving a hybrid)
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote