Join Early Retirement Today

Gas Price up $.80 in 5 weeks
Old 02-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gas Price up $.80 in 5 weeks

Just checked a gas receipt Jan 19th... Paid $3.09 for Regular. Today's price $3.89.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #2

These folks show early January prices to be a little below $3.40 a gal. http://ycharts.com/indicators/gas_price. Yours was on sale, perhaps?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I paid $3.45 yesterday. I think it was in the 3.15 range early January.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I did a fill up today for 3.95 a gal.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It's $3.899/gal here today. Hope it comes down before our annual summer formulation price increase.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
These folks show early January prices to be a little below $3.40 a gal. US Retail Gas Price. Yours was on sale, perhaps?
Yeah... kinda... we have two dueling truckstops and that was the lowpoint, but the price at most stations was $3.19... $.20 to $.30 less than Chicago prices at that time... but even with that, still a $.70 difference... That's $10 per fill up.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Up about 40 cents a gallon in the last 6 weeks in my area.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #8

We drive very little so I don't notice gas prices much as I fill up infrequently.

Next month however we leave for the UK and Ireland where we'll be doing lots of driving. Just checked the current prices and it is going to cost ~$10/gal (us gallon).
Old 02-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #9

$3.51/9 this morning in Lufkin, TX. $3.36/9 this afternoon in Shreveport, LA (125 miles apart). Difference between state's gas taxes is primary difference. TX has no income tax, so they tax gas higher.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Gas at a nearby Costco was $2.89 in December. Just checked gasbuddy.com, and it is currently $3.38/gal.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Gas at a nearby Costco was $2.89 in December. Just checked gasbuddy.com, and it is currently $3.38/gal.
$3.29 here at Costco yesterday. It was $3.01 there just 3 weeks ago. Yep, we bought gas for around $2.82 in Dec.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Thought about driving my RV to Costco to fill it up at $2.89, but was afraid the gas would get stale by the time I take the next trip. I could have put an additional 40 gallons in there, which means a saving of $20 at just the current price.

Oh well, what's $20 when I burn more than a couple grands on gas for each RV jaunt?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

$3.399 at Costco today. Was $2.999 around the first of the year.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #14

I glance at prices daily in the Chicago area, hovering between $4 - $4.45 today. I got gas just outside Cook county Thurs for $3.85, same station is now $3.99.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We drive very little so I don't notice gas prices much as I fill up infrequently.

Next month however we leave for the UK and Ireland where we'll be doing lots of driving. Just checked the current prices and it is going to cost ~$10/gal (us gallon).
Whoa, drive slow and enjoy your trip. Gas here is $3.50. I do not drive very much myself so it is not annoying me as much as some. If it coninues to rise I am not sure if our ecomony can handle it. I can walk to most places I need to go and if I do drive things are very close. I hate it for people who drive many miles to work. Another cut in their paycheck. oldtrig
Old 02-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Thought about driving my RV to Costco to fill it up at $2.89, but was afraid the gas would get stale by the time I take the next trip. I could have put an additional 40 gallons in there, which means a saving of $20 at just the current price.

Oh well, what's $20 when I burn more than a couple grands on gas for each RV jaunt?
Yeah... I know you love RVing... 'Twas our plan in the early days... "See, Honey? We can do the State Parks for $5/night, or as Campground Hosts, we could stay in different parks for months at a time, and see the country." But that was in 1978.

We were >< that close to doing it. In many ways it was a bit of unrequited love. Am hoping that as you live this adventure out, you'll keep us up to date!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
$3.51/9 this morning in Lufkin, TX. $3.36/9 this afternoon in Shreveport, LA (125 miles apart). Difference between state's gas taxes is primary difference. TX has no income tax, so they tax gas higher.

Interesting Martyb, I just saw regular priced at $3.65 in Crockett this afternoon. Almost 15 cents differance between Lufkin and Crockett. (~45 miles apart) I drive into the Shreveport area seveal times a month and have also noticed the price drops 15 to 20 cents a gallon as soon as I cross the state line.

Maybe it's time to buy back into some oil/gas stocks.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

As I was parked today, I saw either one or two Nissan Leaf's go by. They were the same color, but I'm not sure if that was one car that went around the block twice or two separate cars. My first Leaf spotting ever.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
Administrator

According to my records, I filled my Venza's tank with 14.060 gallons of (premium) gas on Valentine's Day for $3.69/gallon.

The last time I did this prior to Valentine's Day was on January 22nd, when the same gas was $3.39/gallon at the same gas station! Softening the blow a bit is the fact that I don't use much gas.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

$3.99 for unleaded and $4.15 for diesel at the Meijer station I drove past today on Rte. 59 in Naperville, IL.