Gas Price up $.80 in 5 weeks

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Just checked a gas receipt Jan 19th... Paid $3.09 for Regular. Today's price $3.89.

I did a fill up today for 3.95 a gal.

It's $3.899/gal here today. Hope it comes down before our annual summer formulation price increase. :eek:

These folks show early January prices to be a little below $3.40 a gal. US Retail Gas Price. Yours was on sale, perhaps?

:blush: Yeah... kinda... we have two dueling truckstops and that was the lowpoint, but the price at most stations was $3.19... $.20 to $.30 less than Chicago prices at that time... but even with that, still a $.70 difference... That's $10 per fill up.

Up about 40 cents a gallon in the last 6 weeks in my area.

We drive very little so I don't notice gas prices much as I fill up infrequently.

Next month however we leave for the UK and Ireland where we'll be doing lots of driving. Just checked the current prices and it is going to cost ~$10/gal (us gallon).

$3.51/9 this morning in Lufkin, TX. $3.36/9 this afternoon in Shreveport, LA (125 miles apart). Difference between state's gas taxes is primary difference. TX has no income tax, so they tax gas higher.

Gas at a nearby Costco was $2.89 in December. Just checked gasbuddy.com, and it is currently $3.38/gal.

Gas at a nearby Costco was $2.89 in December. Just checked gasbuddy.com, and it is currently $3.38/gal.
$3.29 here at Costco yesterday. It was $3.01 there just 3 weeks ago. Yep, we bought gas for around $2.82 in Dec.

Thought about driving my RV to Costco to fill it up at $2.89, but was afraid the gas would get stale by the time I take the next trip. I could have put an additional 40 gallons in there, which means a saving of $20 at just the current price.

Oh well, what's $20 when I burn more than a couple grands on gas for each RV jaunt?

$3.399 at Costco today. Was $2.999 around the first of the year.

Last edited:
I glance at prices daily in the Chicago area, hovering between $4 - $4.45 today. I got gas just outside Cook county Thurs for $3.85, same station is now $3.99.

We drive very little so I don't notice gas prices much as I fill up infrequently.

Next month however we leave for the UK and Ireland where we'll be doing lots of driving. Just checked the current prices and it is going to cost ~$10/gal (us gallon).
Whoa, drive slow and enjoy your trip. Gas here is $3.50. I do not drive very much myself so it is not annoying me as much as some. If it coninues to rise I am not sure if our ecomony can handle it. I can walk to most places I need to go and if I do drive things are very close. I hate it for people who drive many miles to work:facepalm:. Another cut in their paycheck. oldtrig

Thought about driving my RV to Costco to fill it up at $2.89, but was afraid the gas would get stale by the time I take the next trip. I could have put an additional 40 gallons in there, which means a saving of $20 at just the current price.

Oh well, what's $20 when I burn more than a couple grands on gas for each RV jaunt?

Yeah... I know you love RVing... 'Twas our plan in the early days... "See, Honey? We can do the State Parks for $5/night, or as Campground Hosts, we could stay in different parks for months at a time, and see the country." But that was in 1978.

We were >< that close to doing it. In many ways it was a bit of unrequited love. Am hoping that as you live this adventure out, you'll keep us up to date! :)

$3.51/9 this morning in Lufkin, TX. $3.36/9 this afternoon in Shreveport, LA (125 miles apart). Difference between state's gas taxes is primary difference. TX has no income tax, so they tax gas higher.

Interesting Martyb, I just saw regular priced at $3.65 in Crockett this afternoon. Almost 15 cents differance between Lufkin and Crockett. (~45 miles apart) I drive into the Shreveport area seveal times a month and have also noticed the price drops 15 to 20 cents a gallon as soon as I cross the state line.

Maybe it's time to buy back into some oil/gas stocks. :)

Last edited:
As I was parked today, I saw either one or two Nissan Leaf's go by. They were the same color, but I'm not sure if that was one car that went around the block twice or two separate cars. My first Leaf spotting ever.

According to my records, I filled my Venza's tank with 14.060 gallons of (premium) gas on Valentine's Day for $3.69/gallon.

The last time I did this prior to Valentine's Day was on January 22nd, when the same gas was $3.39/gallon at the same gas station! :eek: Softening the blow a bit is the fact that I don't use much gas.

$3.99 for unleaded and $4.15 for diesel at the Meijer station I drove past today on Rte. 59 in Naperville, IL.

I filled up at our local Costco station yesterday at $3.699. It's probably higher today. Seriously, my wife and I are already shopping for cars as our lease expires in January 2014. 2014 and we're getting anxious as we can get rid of our Honda CRV any time according to Honda Financial. Wife is dying for a Toyota Prius V. Drove one this week and it amazing. I'm getting the itch also. Anyone interested in a 2011 CRV-EXL with 21k miles?

Yeah... I know you love RVing... 'Twas our plan in the early days... "See, Honey? We can do the State Parks for $5/night, or as Campground Hosts, we could stay in different parks for months at a time, and see the country." But that was in 1978...
I hope to be able to do a bit more RV'ing before I get older, or lose my interest.

With the gas price as high as it is, plus the hassle of driving, each trip I take must be for 6 weeks to 2 months to make it worthwhile. Hence, it requires a bit of planning.

Full-time RV'ers normally do not move about as much because of the fuel cost as well as the lack of need to return home, but full-timing is not for us.

Other than RV'ing, we do not drive much anymore to be bothered by the higher cost of gasoline. In fact, if the higher price is reflective of better demands, then it means that the economy is picking up, which is more than a compensating factor for people with equities. So I hope.

$3.79 at Martins (grocery store) yesterday, but now I have a credit for 40 cents off/gallon. When I redeem that I wait until the pickup is low and take a couple of 5 gallon cans to get the whole 30 gallons that is the max one can take. Then I put that in DW's car or the motorcycle.

While we both like the 4WD pickup, on a good day it gets 18 mpg so it will probably be the last one we buy, especially since when we make the last move we won't really need a pickup truck anymore.

It jumped from $3.42 to $3.67 between Wednesday and Saturday here in the Atlanta metro area. I'm happy we traded in the old car on a new Mazda3 which can get 40mpg. We've averaged 33mpg in the first month and a half so far. Now my old 4x4 truck sits around most of the time.

Local driving (170 mile round trip or less in winter, 250 mile round trip or less in summer) is currently costing us about 2 cents/mile or roughly 45 cents per gallon.
Longer trips (which we make 1-2 times per year) currently costs us $3.89/gallon or about 11 cents/mile.

Back
Top Bottom