Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #201
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Lowest for me was $0.249, in 1970. Remember when "gas war" had a different meaning?

I've had several "dual-fuel" vehicles in my day. Burned gas AND oil...
Yes indeed I had a 68 Ford F-100. It got 10 MPG and 20 MPQ. Had to use the hottest plugs with non-foulers on them. The non-fouler protected the plug so oil didn't coat it immediately.
Took a while to save up $75.00 for a used engine. Gas didn't improve but oil sure did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
So. When will delivery and service charges start to go down, and utility companies drop "fuel charges"?
When it snows in Hades.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #203
gone traveling

The thing that concerns me with these low gas prices is that it might trigger an opportunity for lawmakers to significantly bump up taxes on gasoline.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #204
Give me a forum ...

I bet that when prices start going back up a number of companies will implement Fuel Price Surcharges. They did that when gas went up over $3 last time, and as far as I know they never dropped them again. This time we should get Fuel Price Credits, dollars off of our regular bills. I'll be holding my breath for that to happen.

Diesel is still not dropping significantly.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:13 PM   #205
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I bet that when prices start going back up a number of companies will implement Fuel Price Surcharges. They did that when gas went up over $3 last time, and as far as I know they never dropped them again. This time we should get Fuel Price Credits, dollars off of our regular bills. I'll be holding my breath for that to happen.
Oxygen is free, no reason to deprive yourself of it for a hopeless cause.

Just got my quarterly bill for garbage pickup (private company). They INCREASED their fuel surcharge.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

In our RV trek to the Northeast late last summer, we were paying close to $5/gal in Canada. Even in the US, we were paying close to $3.50 when we started the trip.

Then, when we were driving home in early October, prices were already coming down. Seeing W2R's photo in an earlier post reminds me of the photos my wife snapped of the gas station signs as we made our way home. So, I just looked them up now: $2.88, then $2.79 on Oct 9. And I thought those prices were unbelievably cheap.

Only people who drive gas guzzling RVs can appreciate the pain of $4 or $5 prices. And my tank is only 55 gal. I read the blog of a guy with a truly big class A of literally the size of a Greyhound bus (it has two levels). Its tank was something like 200 gallons. Then, he got tired of RV'ing and bought a boat. Its multiple diesel tanks added up to more than 1000 gallons, and I don't remember the exact capacity.

I recently read that gasoline demand is highly inelastic. It takes a price change of 20% for the consumption to change 1%. Most people do not drive more to take advantage of lower prices, nor can they easily cut back if prices go up. But that is true only in the short term. Longer term, they will buy faster muscle cars or bigger SUVs, plan more RV trips. I already read that sales of SUVs, vans, trucks have gone back up to 55% of new vehicle sales.

Yep, it's simply the matter of time before people come crying to their politicians that oil companies are gouging them with expensive gas prices. Then, we will have inquiries, congressional hearings, etc... Something never changes.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #207
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
The thing that concerns me with these low gas prices is that it might trigger an opportunity for lawmakers to significantly bump up taxes on gasoline.
Right on cue...

Durbin: 'Now is the time' to raise gas tax | TheHill
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 AM   #208
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was out at lunch yesterday and my friend filled up for $1.699 regular gas at Sam's Club in Albuquerque.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #209
Gone but not forgotten

Prices bottomed out:

Gas Prices Rise in Early 2015, Likely Already Hit Bottom for Year

Supply, demand and production cut back.

The follow-up article explains the industry profitability.

http://time.com/money/3694103/oil-co...-cheap-prices/
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Prices bottomed out:

Gas Prices Rise in Early 2015, Likely Already Hit Bottom for Year

Supply, demand and production cut back.

The follow-up article explains the industry profitability.

Why Big Oil Can Withstand Cheap Oil Prices - TIME
The bottoming process will probably take a long time. They may not drop anymore, but they will probably stay down for some time.

It's quite common for gas prices to bottom at the end of the year and rise in late Jan and Feb. Refiners often take some plants off line at that time to do whatever it is they do. Historical Gas Price Charts - Texas Gas Prices - click on the 3 or 5 year charts to see the annual pattern.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Gas at our local Exxon reached a recent low of $1.69, and then rose to $1.79 in one day yesterday.

Fooey, I had been hoping to get some at $1.69 (well, $2.09 because I use premium which has been consistently forty cents more). I missed it.

Audrey, I hope you are right and that this is just a seasonal rise in gas prices, although it did seem like a lot for one day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #212
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Gas at our local Exxon reached a recent low of $1.69, and then rose to $1.79 in one day yesterday.

Fooey, I had been hoping to get some at $1.69 (well, $2.09 because I use premium which has been consistently forty cents more). I missed it.

Audrey, I hope you are right and that this is just a seasonal rise in gas prices, although it did seem like a lot for one day.
Isn't a Venza designed to run on 87 octane? Running 91 is likely a waste of money...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #213
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Isn't a Venza designed to run on 87 octane? Running 91 is likely a waste of money...
I probably should buy the lowest octane gas but I don't (so sue me! ). I only fill the tank about once a month I guess, so it isn't a budget buster.

Edited to add: That's why I missed the lower gas prices. I last filled my gas tank on January 18th, and I still have most of that tank of gas left.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #214
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I probably should buy the lowest octane gas but I don't (so sue me! ). I only fill the tank about once a month I guess, so it isn't a budget buster.

Edited to add: That's why I missed the lower gas prices. I last filled my gas tank on January 18th, and I still have most of that tank of gas left.
To each their own, it's just that there's no benefit to using 91 in a car that is designed to run on 87.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I've just noticed this Feb pattern the last few years, and it's there in the historical chart I linked, if you look at the multi year views.

The bad news is that once it goes up in Feb, most years it tends to trend up during the summer, and doesn't drop again until fall. Last year the drop was just far more dramatic!!!

We'll see what happens. I expect prices to more or less stabilize for a while, but we might have a bit of the usually spring and summer price increase.

My lowest fill-up was $1.69 at Costco in mid-January. The next one a couple of weeks later was $1.77, but it was still 10 to 12 cents higher than everyone else. I noticed yesterday $1.95 at the grocery store which was $1.78 a few weeks ago.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #216
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If you don't care about your wallet (though I can't imagine why not, since there really is no benefit, and 40 cents is 40 cents), then how about the environment?

It takes more energy and additives to produce a gallon of premium gas versus regular - so it is a hit to the environment.

google "premium gas environment" for all sorts of links...

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #217
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you don't care about your wallet (though I can't imagine why not, since there really is no benefit, and 40 cents is 40 cents), then how about the environment?

It takes more energy and additives to produce a gallon of premium gas versus regular - so it is a hit to the environment.

google "premium gas environment" for all sorts of links...

-ERD50
You know, I knew you would respond to my post before you did. You are SO predictable.
Like I said, SO SUE ME!

If you are so fond of Google, then Google Venza premium gas yourself, and you will find lots of discussion in threads on Venza forums with many taking both sides (either premium or regular). This isn't a Venza forum, though, so I don't have any desire to drag it over here.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I've just noticed this Feb pattern the last few years, and it's there in the historical chart I linked, if you look at the multi year views.

The bad news is that once it goes up in Feb, most years it tends to trend up during the summer, and doesn't drop again until fall. Last year the drop was just far more dramatic!!!

We'll see what happens. I expect prices to more or less stabilize for a while, but we might have a bit of the usually spring and summer price increase.

My lowest fill-up was $1.69 at Costco in mid-January. The next one a couple of weeks later was $1.77, but it was still 10 to 12 cents higher than everyone else. I noticed yesterday $1.95 at the grocery store which was $1.78 a few weeks ago.
Wow, it is sure spiralling upwards in your area, for sure. I guess I should be glad that gas prices are going back up, since Louisiana's tax revenue will be down, but somehow it is hard to see it so selflessly.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you are so fond of Google, then Google Venza premium gas yourself, and you will find lots of discussion in threads on Venza forums with many taking both sides (either premium or regular). ... .
Anecdotes are not data, I'll stick to the science, thank you.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #220
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, and on and on and on and on... Please give it a rest and let this thread get back on topic. This is a thread about gasoline prices and how they are dropping nationwide, not about what particular grade of gas has been proven best in a particular make and model of vehicle, or how stupid or well informed you are about scientific/engineering matters.