Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've seen gas stations charge more if they are the only one in a prime spot. For example, the only one that taxi drivers use near the airport, etc.
Usually it isn't that much of a difference though.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #282
Recycles dryer sheets

[QUOTE=Mulligan;1662586]We in MO benefit from low gas taxes and a nearby refinery. $1.63 a gallon here today.

But those of us in Illinois RIGHT BY THE REFINERY still pay high prices.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #283
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
I've seen gas stations charge more if they are the only one in a prime spot. For example, the only one that taxi drivers use near the airport, etc.
Usually it isn't that much of a difference though.
Nope, this one is in a sort of crummy location, and plenty of competition nearby. There's definitely something going on there that I don't understand. Oh well, just one of those questions I'll never know the answer to.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:01 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Nope, this one is in a sort of crummy location, and plenty of competition nearby. There's definitely something going on there that I don't understand. Oh well, just one of those questions I'll never know the answer to.
Maybe the local Sheriff (/mayor/etc) owns it and it has the contract for all the patrol cars?
Old 12-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #285
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I also wonder about a local station. It's a major brand and owned by a neighbor of mine (although I've never spoken with him). For years its price has consistently been at least 20˘ higher than any other in the area. The station is in a pretty good location but never has much business. When I drive by, I'm far more likely than not to see no cars at the pumps.

The owner lives in a very nice place and drives nice cars, so he's obviously making enough with this approach. I just find it odd. Dropping his prices to match nearby stations would surely give him several times the level of business he has now.

As for harley's situation, my jaw just drops at that kind of difference.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #286

$1.98 here in NE North Dakota
Old 12-03-2015, 04:50 PM   #287
Full time employment: Posting here.

Local gas stations today are at $2.00 (rounding up from the $1.99 plus nine tenths of a penny). Town 20 miles to the east were $1.76. Then another 45 miles north of there the price is $2.08. I can't figure out how there can be that much difference in price as all towns are in the same state (Iowa).
Old 12-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #288
Dryer sheet wannabe

Linton, Indiana. $1.66

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
A little off topic, but I was wondering about other people's ideas.

Down here in SWFL gas prices are around $1.99 - $2.19. But there is one station in downtown Bonita Springs that has regular unleaded at $3.49, and premium is over $4. I'd noticed this before and assumed the sign was old and they had stopped selling gas. But the other day I saw a car at the pump, so I pulled in and they were actually pumping gas. And the price on the pump was the same as the price on the sign.

I can't figure this out except maybe there's something illegal going on, money laundering or something, and they are running a business but don't actually want any customers. It's a convenience store sort of place, check cashing and such, and the gas isn't a name brand. I'm really curious to see what other people would assume about such a place.
Company store, like in the old days?? My grandfather was just telling us about them. You had to buy your food from the company store. Could the same thing exist today?
Old 01-23-2016, 07:52 PM   #290
Administrator

Gas was $1.41 at our neighborhood Exxon today. Unbelievable!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Gas was $1.41 at our neighborhood Exxon today. Unbelievable!
That's a full buck cheaper than I paid at costco on Thursday.

But CA does have a lot of taxes on gas... that's the biggest driver of the price differences between the states.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:28 PM   #292
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post

But CA does have a lot of taxes on gas... that's the biggest driver of the price differences between the states.
California gasoline tax is $0.23/gallon more than Louisiana.

Here's a nice tax map:

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfo.../GasTax-01.png
Old 01-23-2016, 08:49 PM   #293
Administrator

Well, whatever the reason, what a great surprise! We went on a pleasure drive around town afterwards just for some cheap fun.

I just looked on gasbuddy.com, and there are a couple of stations that have gas for $1.39 . Amazing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #294

Bought for $1.399 in Napoleon OH last Thursday. If the oil price pop holds, that might be my low for the cycle.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:45 AM   #295

Gas Prices

$1.79 last fill up - here in southern Pennsylvania.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:04 AM   #296
Recycles dryer sheets

At Sam's club close to Midway airport 1.63 yesterday!
Old 01-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #297

Quote:

I used to think that was true, but the highest gas tax in the country is now here in PA. Maybe it's the cost of shipping or the number of refineries in CA, I don't know. But even though we have high state gas tax, the price of gas is lower in than in MD or WV. VA has lower gas prices than PA. And there is a lot of variability within the state as well. It's mainly a supply and demand situation, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-24-2016, 07:22 AM   #298
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Taxes aren't the only reason. California requires a special "reformulated" blend of gasoline to reduce pollution, and that costs more and is produced at a limited number of refineries.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #299

In SW PA, several counties, like Westmoreland, Cambria and Somerset all have exactly the same price regardless of brand. The general excuse is that this area is the end of some supply line. currently at $2.05.99. Except one privately owned station across from a BP, this is always 3 cents less than BP.

Sheetz privately owned chain in the area gives 3 cents per gallon off with an affinity card. I do use them. Diesel is at $2.59.99.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #300

Also buried in the California price is the recently implemented "cap and trade" pollution tax. Supposedly anywhere between $0.10 to $0.50 per gallon in cost, depending on the market for the credits.