Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Agree, but I'm not sure anyone understands the elasticity of gas pricing as a function of supply/demand & risk balance
I'm not an expert, but part of the "elasticity" of MOTOR fuel issue is probably due to storage capacity. Whenever there is even a slight imbalance in supply, storage tanks can become virtually empty (instant high prices) or virtually full (dramatic drop in prices) in a matter of days. AND then, the only place for most of those motor fuels to go is into vehicle tanks. If there is a trend of long-term tighter and tighter or looser and looser supplies, prices can creep up or down. But if storage capacity becomes critical (as now, when we are in a slight glut market) prices can bounce wildly (I mentioned local fuel prices of $3.14 to $3.98 in two months). Realistically, there is much more fuel stored in our motor vehicles than there is in bulk storage tanks. Hence, there is a perturbation of the usual "supply vs demand" equation. The concept still works, but the tight point is probably in the bulk storage arena. Again, not an expert, so I could be full of it. Still, I think one way to "smooth" the prices is to have more bulk storage. I used to buy my motor fuel in bulk when prices were low and then store it in a 200 gallon tank in the back yard - back when I lived (not w*rked) on a farm.

If I'm completely off base with my theory, maybe someone here can correct me because, heaven knows, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Filled up for $2.47 this morning here in the Midwest. It started out at $3.21, but with my grocery store rewards discount, I got it down to $2.47. Love it when that happens.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

$3.14 today in Valdosta, GA
Old 08-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #44

Filled up for $3.13 gal. today in Shreveport, LA

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

$3.13 too, outside of Houston. Now that I'm retired I fill up once a month unless I do trips outside of my area, which is rare.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #46

$3.23 yesterday at the place I buy soda.
If the XL pipeline gets completed though we expect our prices to go up in MN.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 AM   #47

Anyone use E85?
If so, and you switch between grades, would you estimate the difference in miles per gallon?

Current local price $2.79

How many E85 stations in your state?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85_in_the_United_States
Old 10-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Anyone use E85?
If so, and you switch between grades, would you estimate the difference in miles per gallon?

Current local price $2.79

How many E85 stations in your state?
E85 in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have 2 vehicles capable of using E85 but I don't recall ever seeing a station selling it. Maybe I just haven't notice them...

Anyway, I started seeing gas prices below $3 a gallon almost a month ago at a few stations but now I'm seeing it at most stations here in the central/east Texas area. Paid 2.65 today. In the past week I've seen it as high as 3.19 and as low as 2.65 in this general area. The downside is my oil and gas stocks have been falling faster than the gas prices.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Regular gas is $2.79 today at the area Costco.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
you guys are killing me:

$4.19

Just down the road from all the Richmond refineries. and Chevron headquarters.
You must be from my neck of the woods. My dad worked at Chevron in Richmond. The gas station just outside the refinery had much higher prices than the other Chevron stations. Always did. Dad never went to that station.

Price of gas in PA right now is $3.19. It's been under $3 in Virginia for at least a month.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #51

Still $3.49/gal here in WV, they do have higher taxes on fuel. It balances out, the overall tax burden is pretty low. Well, I guess unless you burn a lot of gas in WV.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

$2.90 here in Greensboro nc. Best price in a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #53

$2.89 Central IL

GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

zip 61354
Old 10-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #54

Adjusted for inflation, the price of gas is about the same now as it was in the 60's.

Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2014

True stories:

The lowest gas price I can remember seeing was 19.9 (~20 cents) during a "gas war" in the late 50's. Even then, I can remember my mom stopping at the gas station and buying a dollars worth of gas. And while the "gas station attendant" pumped the gas for us, he would wash our windshield, and if you asked, he'd check the air pressure in our tires and the water in the radiator for free. And then give us stamps (S&H Green stamps if I remember correctly)

In the late 60's, a friend and I (still know this guy today, almost 45 year later) once ran out of gas on a motorcycle and pushed it to the nearest gas station. We only had 5 cents between us. The attendant pumped the 5 cents worth of gas and we asked him to "drain the hose". He did and we were able to make it home (a few miles away).
Old 10-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #55

That site shows 3.033 for Shreveport, but it's selling for 2.93 - 2.95 all over town. Not sure what goes into compiling the numbers.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
That site shows 3.033 for Shreveport, but it's selling for 2.93 - 2.95 all over town. Not sure what goes into compiling the numbers.
You were looking at the average price for the city. Go to the maps view and zoom in to look at individual stations: USA National Gas Price Heat Map - GasBuddy.com

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

I'm currently in Williston, North Dakota and the stations are advertising $3.39 for regular and $3.99 $4.05 for diesel. Plus, it's getting cold up this way!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #58

Just left Scottsdale, Az at 2.88. Now roaming around Northeastern Il at 2.94. Going to Rockville, Indiana at 2.98.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$2.58 here south of STL and just in time as we are planning a weekend trip that will involve some driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

$2.95 in Chandler, AZ.