Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It will be around 9K miles, and take 2+ months.
9,000 miles @6mpg = 1,500 gal x $3.80/gal =$5,700. Ouch.

As a fellow RVer, I feel your pain. But worth every penny.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My small 25' class C delivered 9.5-9.8mpg even when towing a toad over the past 5 long trips of 4-5K miles each.

And that was over the mountainous Western states.

The 9K miles will be just for the RV. Excursions with the toad may add 1-2K miles, but its gas mileage is 2-3X that of the RV, so who cares?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #43

Quote:
My small 25' class C delivered 9.5-9.8mpg even when towing a toad over the past 5 long trips of 4-5K miles each.

And that was over the mountainous Western states.
That's very good for a gas RV.

Unless I have a strong tailwind my diesel truck doesn't average more than 10.5-11.0 mpg towing our 35' trailer.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
Hasn't changed my driving habits so far, but did make me, when I need another car, buy a smaller one with twice the gas mileage.

That is what I think. I have an aging gas guzzler which I am keeping a bit longer. I could easily buy one that gets twice the gas mileage to negate the expense. But I am imagine in reality I will just complain about the cost and not buy an efficient one until it really hurts the wallet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

According to the National Bike Challenge, I saved $356 since May 1. https://nationalbikechallenge.org/rider/5341 It does not include my wife's saving. Although it would not be double since we often commute together. And, I am not 100% sure if the calculation includes my exercise miles. If so my savings would be 50% of $356. Put in DW miles and I can confidently say it is no less than $200 and no more than $400. Not a bad way to have fun and save money. Most of my fun events cost money .
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, but there are some logistic issues causing my departure date to be set for August.

See my tentative itinerary below, which will take me to Nova Scotia (maybe Newfoundland too?). This is just a very rough route which will be subject to change. It will be around 9K miles, and take 2+ months.

You are going to have such a wonderful time! I am so glad that you decided to spend some of your money on something that means so much to you. As much as you may love having the money itself and counting it - - which I can understand - - this is better. It is an experience you can look back on fondly for many years to come. Be sure to take a camera, and maybe even a trip diary would be fun.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You are going to have such a wonderful time! I am so glad that you decided to spend some of your money on something that means so much to you. As much as you may love having the money itself and counting it - - which I can understand - - this is better. It is an experience you can look back on fondly for many years to come. Be sure to take a camera, and maybe even a trip diary would be fun.
Thank you. Reading your post makes me smile. I often post half-jokes here about being frugal, and people took it more seriously than I thought.

Surely, I love "counting money" and am frugal, but I am not that scroogy, not even with myself. I bought the motorhome for travel, and it serves no purpose sitting there. It has been washed and waxed, its fluids changed, its tires spanking new. All I need to gas up and drive off.

The only reason I have not taken a trip, neither RV nor fly-and-drive since last summer RV run to NO, was that I was too tied up with major surgeries and busy fighting for my life for a year. But now that I have a new lease on life (terms uncertain), I hope to resume my retirement plan. Well, until something else comes up, that is.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

What wonderful news to hear that you have a new lease on life (however uncertain the terms), and that you are done with major surgeries and fighting for your life, at least for now. It does make this opportunity seem all the more precious for you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I may live a couple more decades, or I may have only a few years. That's how uncertain it is. And yet, many posters here torment themselves with the uncertainty of the stock market. It is not that important! I like to make money, but it is more like a challenge, an interesting game to me. I have often said that I could be living in my motorhome in the boondocks and still be happy as long as I have my health, and I really mean it.

Well, one of these days when people get sick they will know. I had had perfect health all my life, and never expected this. Still, sickness or just deterioration by aging is something we all will go through, some sooner, others later, but no one is immune.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #50

Quote:
Still, sickness or just deterioration by aging is something we all will go through, some sooner, others later, but no one is immune.
All the more reason to get in that RV and go while we still can...
Old 06-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
All the more reason to get in that RV and go while we still can...
Agree. Did my full USA all contiguous states in my winnebago in my mid thirties. Many great memories for the rocking chair, if ever limited to that. Or, just drifting in my kayak with my feet propped up on the deck, my hat covering my face.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps even leave DW at home if she does not want to come along, and take off for 6 months to a year?

Old 06-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Using imoldernu's 12.500 miles and 25 mpg the additional cost per year of a $1 increase in gas prices is only $500 or less than $10 a week.

For me gas prices are more psychological than real in that I somewhat revolt when prices approach a new milestone ($4/gallon currently). I find that I do try to combine trips, etc even though I know that in fact the additional cost given the meager miles we drive is inconsequential.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Since RE my gas usage has dropped, from 20 gallons a week to 20 a month. I'm continuing to drive my 10 year old Silverado. I might replace it with somthing more efficient when we figure out if we're moving somewhere.

For ten years I commuted 120 miles daily, used ~40 gallons a week. I'd always considered a commuter vehicle but didn't feel comfortable about driving something small and light on the 12 miles of county mantained gravel and dirt roads. There were hazards back there, many times cresting a hill to find cattle wandering down the road. Never wanted to hit one in any vehicle, but a compact really scared me.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote