Join Early Retirement Today

Gas prices going to high
Old 05-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Gas prices going to high

Big New Shock at the Pump Forecast by Two Analysts

By DAN DORFMAN, Special to the Sun | April 28, 2008

Get ready for another economic shock of major proportions — a virtual doubling of prices at the gas pump to as much as $10 a gallon.

That’s the message from a couple of analytical energy industry trackers, both of whom, based on the surging oil prices, see considerably more pain at the pump than most drivers realize.

Gasoline nationally is in an accelerated upswing, having jumped to $3.58 a gallon from $3.50 in just the past week. In some parts of the country, including New York City and the West Coast, gas is already sporting a price tag above $4 a gallon. There was a pray-in at a Chevron station in San Francisco on Friday led by a minister asking God for cheaper gas, and an Arco gas station in San Mateo, Calif., has already raised its price to a sky-high $4.62.

In Manhattan, at a Mobil gas station at York Avenue and East 61st Street, premium gas is now $4.03 a gallon. Two days ago, it was $3.96. Why such a high price? “Blame the people at STOPEC (he meant OPEC) and the oil companies,” an attendant there told me.

http://www.nysun.com/news/business/...on-cost-sawbuck

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And a tree grows to the sky. Would there be enough demand for $10 per gallon fuel to maintain that price? No alternatives?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That link is not working for me.

also, I like how he's getting an opinion on where the problem is from the attendant at the station. I'm curious on if the attendant has a background in tracking oil futures.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
And a tree grows to the sky. Would there be enough demand for $10 per gallon fuel to maintain that price? No alternatives?
I/DW returned from the Netherlands earler this month (to see the tulips; the next investment opportunity ?)

Anyway, adjusting (ltr/gal, Euro/$$) fuel came out to $7-9 per gal. I understand (watching BBC America last evening) that the price in that region has risen to more than $10/gal.

They (meaning Europe) is starting to have strikes over the price of "petrol" (gas) and anticipate shutdown of product deliveries, including gas lines (do you remember the '70's ).

This is not only a "U.S. problem"; it belongs to "the world".

- Ron
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by godoftrading View Post
...... "There was a pray-in at a Chevron station in San Francisco on Friday led by a minister asking God for cheaper gas, ..... "
This kind of stuff just kills me!

So if the price of gas at that station drops 10 cents in the next week or two - will that prove the existence of god because their prayers were answered? How about if the price drops six months from now?

I wonder how will they know if god answered their prayers or if it was just a market fluctuation.

If the price of gas continues to rise at that station will it mean god is angry with them?

(BTW - I'm curious as to what god they were praying to - what with being in San Francisco and all )
Old 05-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
That link is not working for me.
Here, I found some more on the same:

Pray-in at S.F. gas station asks God to lower prices

Pray-in at gas station asks God to lower gas prices - iReport.com

Choir director brings prayers for lower gas prices to S.F. - Examiner.com

Seems this fellow is actually from Washington DC & is not in fact a minister (as am I) - but a choir director - and community organizer, whatever that is (isn't that one of the big things on Barak Obama's resume?)

I note also the third article linked indicates this fellow has led campaigns to nominate Oprah Winfrey for the Nobel Peace Prize and to encourage African Americans to donate bone marrow.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
Here, I found some more on the same:

Pray-in at S.F. gas station asks God to lower prices

Pray-in at gas station asks God to lower gas prices - iReport.com

Choir director brings prayers for lower gas prices to S.F. - Examiner.com

Seems this fellow is actually from Washington DC & is not in fact a minister (as am I) - but a choir director - and community organizer, whatever that is (isn't that one of the big things on Barak Obama's resume?)

I note also the third article linked indicates this fellow has led campaigns to nominate Oprah Winfrey for the Nobel Peace Prize and to encourage African Americans to donate bone marrow.
That one is a very good idea.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:15 AM   #8

The price of gas wouldnt be so bad if the governments weren taking up to 40% tax on every liter or gallon,their greed is ultimately going to bite them where the sun dont shine..
Old 05-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
I/DW returned from the Netherlands earler this month (to see the tulips; the next investment opportunity ?)

Anyway, adjusting (ltr/gal, Euro/$$) fuel came out to $7-9 per gal. I understand (watching BBC America last evening) that the price in that region has risen to more than $10/gal.

This is not only a "U.S. problem"; it belongs to "the world".

- Ron
Yep, diesel here just hit 20.50 EEK per liter, or about $8.12 per gallon at todays exchange rate.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #10

At these prices, I noticed that people stopped using their turn signals. Apparently they fear the extra electrical load will cut their gas mileage.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
This kind of stuff just kills me!

So if the price of gas at that station drops 10 cents in the next week or two - will that prove the existence of god because their prayers were answered? How about if the price drops six months from now?
What I don't get is why not go straight to the source of the problem. Asking god to lower the price of fuel is just an intermediate step.

Why not pray that cars can run on air instead? It would save immense amounts of fuel. And think of all the CO2 emissions that would be eliminated.

I think I have just founded the first pillar in a new field of academics - "envirotheology".
Old 05-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
What I don't get is why not go straight to the source of the problem. Asking god to lower the price of fuel is just an intermediate step.

Why not pray that cars can run on air instead? It would save immense amounts of fuel. And think of all the CO2 emissions that would be eliminated.

I think I have just founded the first pillar in a new field of academics - "envirotheology".
Even better, perhaps we can pray for a "transporter" where we just think about a destination and we're there.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Even better, perhaps we can pray for a "transporter" where we just think about a destination and we're there.
Even better. Why not transport the destination to us. Why should we have to move?

I guess it is fitting to discuss make believe technology along side make believe deities, no?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post

That's a good idea. Have you read "The Stars My Destination"?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Even better. Why not transport the destination to us. Why should we have to move?

I guess it is fitting to discuss make believe technology along side make believe deities, no?

Yes.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

On the other hand... maybe the tree should grow to the sky.

Eight reasons you'll rejoice when we hit $8-a-gallon gasoline - MarketWatch
Old 05-29-2008, 06:46 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a hope for cheaper fuel....biodiesel fuel created by algae. Eventually something like this will actually become marketable and solve the world's oil shortage. I honestly believe that it's just a matter of time.

Chevron Backs Solazyme to Develop Algal Biodiesel Technology : TreeHugger

Upstart Solazyme promises to make fuel from algae - Engadget

Tags
cost of living