Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Gasoline prices adjusted for CPI
Old 05-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Gasoline prices adjusted for CPI

Looks like refinery demand is pushing prices up to levels not seen in over 25 years.
Of course that depends on your perception of the relevance & accuracy of CPI data...

I don't know if it's any good after today, but here's the link:
http://www.chartoftheday.com/20070504.htm?T
Attached Images
File Type: gif Gas prices adjusted for CPI.gif (13.6 KB, 37 views)
Attached Files
File Type: gif_thumb Gas prices adjusted for CPI.gif_thumb (17.0 KB, 0 views)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Gasoline prices adjusted for CPI
Old 05-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Looks like refinery demand is pushing prices up to levels not seen in over 25 years.
Of course that depends on your perception of the relevance & accuracy of CPI data...

I don't know if it's any good after today, but here's the link:
http://www.chartoftheday.com/20070504.htm?T
Or we are paying no more for gas in real terms than we were 27 years ago and in the intervening years it has been even less expensive.

If as some people believe that CPI understates actual inflation then today's real price is actually less.

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Why choose 1981? Roll it back a little further, 1960 would be my choice..
Old 05-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #4

Yeh, I suspect that comparing it to 1960 would make it look pretty expensive today but since I support a European type gas tax I put my own spin on the data in the chart

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I thought the absolute high was in 73-74 during the OPEC crisis?

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521
I thought the absolute high was in 73-74 during the OPEC crisis?

2Cor521
I would expect to see shortages this summer. Prices near 4 dollars a gallon.

It is only the beginning. It will get very ugly.

Refinery utilization is only 88%, draw downs have been huge and we are not in the driving season yet.

Then one badly placed hurricane and gasoline lines and a recession will be here.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

In the long run, nothing could be better than high gas prices. Make alternative energy and conservation worthwhile sooner.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #8

I think the economy is doing a great job absorbing energy costs. Funny people must not mind the prices the demand keeps going up.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
I think the economy is doing a great job absorbing energy costs. Funny people must not mind the prices the demand keeps going up.
Have you flown lately? People that once flew a 500 mile trip are now driving.

There are so many SUVs that get well $hit mileage no wonder demand is increasing. PLUS there are well MORE people in the states. Last I looked we went over 300 million! Back in the 70s we had 230 million americans and the same amount of gasoline refineries!! AS we have today. We have no leadership. All we have are politicians who were the jerks we all hated in High School!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #10

My point is DEMAND is still going up. People are not driving any less, flying any less etc. They are still consuming. Until they reverse that oil companies will get whatever premium they want. I wouldn't bother blaming today's leadership. Might as well look at the prior generations who lacked the foresight to develop alternative energy.

As for the SUV's consumption. A congressman from CA (the name slips me) is proposing a tax increase for SUV's when you purchase them because of their lousy fuel economy.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
As for the SUV's consumption. A congressman from CA (the name slips me) is proposing a tax increase for SUV's when you purchase them because of their lousy fuel economy.
An SUV is somehow more wasteful than a heavy luxury car? Or a 3/4 ton pickup truck that has something in the bed once a month?
If, for some reason, the govt wants to artificially influence the laws of supply and demand concerning fuel use, then just tax the fuel directly at a higher rate. Of course, folks who buy little cars because they can't afford the higher gas prices will die at a higher rate in car accidents.

Govt can monkey around with the laws of supply and demand, but not with the laws of physics--F is still gonna = MA.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Higher prices are just a sign that the markets are working. All those low MPG vehicles generate higher demand which drives prices up. Higher prices make it more cost effective to fight the lawsuits and build more refineries, driving prices back down. It also make other methods of getting oil (e.g., oil shale) economically profitable. Finally, it makes spending a couple of thousand more on a hybrid more cost efficient. Of course, since I own a more than a few oil company stocks, I am biased.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

After discussing this with my spouse, I think the fact that gas prices are returning to an inflation-adjusted high is just another symptom of a depreciating dollar-- not much different than gold or any other natural resource. Priced any copper or plywood lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
Higher prices are just a sign that the markets are working.
Ever watch PBS' "Globetrekker"?

Whenver the hosts visit the U.S., they can't get over how cheap the gasoline is compared to just about anywhere on the entire European continent.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #14
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
After discussing this with my spouse, I think the fact that gas prices are returning to an inflation-adjusted high is just another symptom of a depreciating dollar-- not much different than gold or any other natural resource. Priced any copper or plywood lately?
Ever watch PBS' "Globetrekker"?

Whenver the hosts visit the U.S., they can't get over how cheap the gasoline is compared to just about anywhere on the entire European continent.
Sure gasoline is more expensive everyplace else than america, but everyplace else has Diesel vehicles that get over 40mpg or small fuel efficient cars. They all have passenger rail service that makes what we have in america look like third world railroads.

So I am tired of hearing that comment. Bottom line, we have no real leadership, we have no energy policy and quite frankly we are on Hurricane disaster away from big time gasoline shortages because None of the oil companies are planning any new refineries.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

You think you are in a squeeze, just travel in the west!!!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

What I find incredible is the extreme volatility that appears to have started in 2005.

Audrey
Old 05-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Sure gasoline is more expensive everyplace else than america, but everyplace else has Diesel vehicles that get over 40mpg or small fuel efficient cars. They all have passenger rail service that makes what we have in america look like third world railroads...
Are you sure that you are properly attributing cause and effect? Efficient cars and rail lines need customers. The market will drive behaviour.

Here is a tale of three cities that illustrates how different cities evolve when their gas prices are different. Vanouver is C$1.26/litre (or US$4.54/gal for those still using the imperial system). And we have the same car choices and rail choices as you do.

Litres/person/week - BC/WA/OR
Gasoline - 19.3/29.7/29.9
Diesel - 6.1/7.6/11.4
Power - 21/27.3/26 in KWH/day
BTUs - 41.3/57.9/61.4 converted from above totals/person/week

(from the same article - sorry no link yet)