Gecko or Caveman? Both seem to be effective ads.

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Which do you like best gecko of caveman?

The company's famous green gecko was partly the product of an accident. It enlisted the character in 1999 to help consumers remember the company's name, an acronym for Government Employees Insurance Co. The gecko was only supposed to be used for one ad. But an actors' strike forced Geico to keep using the reptile -- a fortuitous development since fans were beginning to email and call about him.

The small firm behind the ads, the Martin Agency, a unit of Interpublic Group of Cos., began adding other campaigns, including the popular cavemen in 2004. (In one recent spot, a caveman carrying a tennis racket in an airport spots a Geico billboard showing a caveman in a loin cloth with the tagline, "So easy a caveman can do it." He walks away, disgusted.)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB116768195546463990.html?mod=hpp_us_editors_picks

Something about the caveman ads are compelling...

I know they are silly, but I really do love the airport conveyor belt spot. Even the music is particularly catchy.

(I know, I am weird.)

Well, the gecko of course...

... but I like the stock price better!

i like the gecko but the caveman airport ad is really well done. that actor has great control over his facial expressions. but the gecko is so nicely animated too. when will they be co-starring?

link to music here: www.geico.com/fun/blog/blog51.htm

and here http://www.royksopp.com this is the group trek likes.

Re: help find locally obscure music
I know what you mean about hearing a song in a commercial. I like the Norweigan group Röyksopp ( http://www.royksopp.com/ ) and somehow the people of Geico insurance found them and part of one of their songs is in a Geico commercial.

The guy who plays the caveman has such great expressions of disgust. It makes DH laugh out loud. I like the one where he is being interviewed on the Cable news show.

i'm begining to tire of the caveman ... but still find the gecko amusing

I hated both at first.....

But, did like one or two of them in the middle....

Still hate both though....

I like the Gecko ads, the accent does it for me. I don't like the caveman ads at all and jump channels when it comes on.

I like the caveman. His facial expressions just kill me.. :LOL:

I like the conveyor belt caveman one but don't care much for the rest.

I like a lot of the gecko ones, particularly the one where he is being interviewed and says "I doubt you're like, 'I'm so wealthy I think I'll just keep my seat'" or something. I like the accent too.

2Cor521

my favourite Geico ad is still the squirrel that runs across the road and causes the car crash, then engages in high-fiving with another squirrel. I think they should re-release that one.

The first caveman GEICO commercial that I recall seeing on TV was the one at the restaurant ("duck with mango salsa" as previously referenced). It took me a long time to figure out what in the heck they were trying to sell in the ad as I usually have the remote control in action prior to the first few words being spoken. I recall forcing myself to watch it several times since I was so flummoxed by it in order to "get it."

DRiP Guy said:
Something about the caveman ads are compelling...

I know they are silly, but I really do love the airport conveyor belt spot. Even the music is particularly catchy.

(I know, I am weird.)

Me too! I love that song! Glad to see some links, investigating now...

Back
Top Bottom