Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Is that Bobby Sherman? If not, I don't recognise him.
Yes...that's him....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't see any attributes for being a Joneser. Here's what stood out to me in the Wiki definition:
The connotation, however, which is perhaps best known stems from the slang word "jones" or “jonesing”, which means a yearning or craving. Jonesers were the people who as teens in the 1970’s made this slang word popular, but beyond this historical claim, many believe the concept of jonesing is among this generation’s key collective personality traits. Jonesers were given huge expectations as children in the optimistic 1960’s, and then confronted with a different reality as they came of age in the pessimistic 1970’s, leaving them with a certain unrequited, jonesing quality.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

My signature...I was 15 when this song came out. It was the year I got with the program and became a cool nerd, not just an egghead nerd. Brains and cool!
Freebird's lyrics appealed to me (change "girl" to "guy") for the simple reason that I refused to be tied down to a traditional woman's life.
It summed up my spirit in a single word. Freebird later became my CB handle in 1979, and of course is my "handle" here.
Something to read while the triple guitar solo plays
Free Bird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Crank up the speakers, sit back, relax, and hear three excellent guitarists carve out their special place in musical history...
Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
This face was plastered all over my bedroom walls...it was true "teenagery" love.....
Old 01-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
What else could I do? I lived in a mud hut......
Old 01-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
What else could I do? I lived in a mud hut......
bbbamI, No worries - Bobby Sherman was a prime target of teen girl adoration and many of us shared similar infatuations with cute guys frequently featured in "Tiger Beat" magazine. Here are a few other examples that come to mind:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leif.jpg (38.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: bmp Donny.bmp (1.28 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Davy.jpg (12.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Rick.jpg (34.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Johnny.jpg (82.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

OH yeah baby....memory lane!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok freebird....lay your faves on us......double dog dare.....
Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Purron, who is the first guy in your pics? Girl hair. Safely androgynous for the 12 year old set.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Purron, who is the first guy in your pics? Girl hair. Safely androgynous for the 12 year old set.
Leif Garrett. Here he is performing one of his big hits. I think it was more the pants than the hair that made him such a sensation

Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Leif Garrett. Here he is performing one of his big hits. I think it was more the pants than the hair that made him such a sensation

Oh man, that was bad!

And after my time.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My signature...I was 15 when this song came out.

Crank up the speakers, sit back, relax, and hear three excellent guitarists carve out their special place in musical history...
freebird - please, please, please read to the end ( I did some grunt work physical labor today, DW cooked a fantastic meal, and I finished most of a bottle of wine we've had aging in the cellar for a few years, so keep that in mind) ....

OK, for some of us a few years older than you, the song FreeBird is a bit of a characture, or cliche' as your wiki ref puts it.

Hey, it *is* a great song, and a *great* performance, by a *great* band. However, for people my age it has been *overplayed* to death, and I've been known to beat a dead horse or three, so that means something.

However, one thing I've learned is, many, many *overplayed* songs are overplayed for a reason. They were great songs to begin with. And this youtube clip is great, because it sort of pokes fun at the whole thing, but in a reverent way. And I *totally* enjoyed listening to it. Thanks.

It is so cool how it starts out like a ballad, then *hints* at the double time, and then *does* the double time, (and I kinda lost track), but I think they double it again. And three great guitar players battling it out in full co-operation is something to behold (one of the most amazing concerts I attended was John McLaughlin, Al Dimeola, and Paco de' Lucia - on acoustic guitars - check out the CD Friday night in San Francisco for a taste of that)!

So that was good.

Now, considering that, and how I've heard it far too often, on far too many 'classic rock' stations, , I got a huge kick out of this (from your wiki link)

Quote:
The band Modest Mouse, at a live concert, refused a request to play "Free Bird" because, along with the fact that they didn't know how to play it, "Even if some deity, pick your god, whoever, came down from the heavens, or the hills, or wherever your deity lives, and blessed us with this vast knowledge of Free Bird, we could play it backward, we could sing backward, we could do all that crazy ****, we wouldn't play it.

If this was the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and you were gonna die in 20 minutes, just enough time to play Free Bird, we still just wouldn't play it."
sorry, that just had me laughing so hard I was crying. Thanks for the link. Thanks for the great song. Thanks for the laugh.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly ( but I would have had a hard time spelling "androgynous" - we used to use Anhydrous Ammonia on the farm - but I guess that's different? ).... Oh, I see it was answered - still don't know who that is (edit/add: ewww, I watched it. It *is*bad )

Where's my wine glass?....

-ERD50
Old 01-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh man, that was bad!

And after my time.
Oh yea, Leif was pretty much a major tool. Cute hair and tight pants never did it for me but plenty of young girls did idolize this guy. Just curious Martha, did you ever have a tween crush on some celeb? If so, might I be so bold as to inquire who it was?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Personally, "Gimme Three Steps" is the Skynard song that captures my early years.

DW and I went to Ocean City MD for our honeymoon (we were very poor). The biggest thing that happened outside of the room was seeing Davey Jones in the local record shop signing autographs. She was very excited. Which made me happy.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #36

I'm a Skynyrd fan from way back - but Freebird (while a special tune in it's own right) does not come close to the top of my personal Skynyrd list - most of which did not get a lot of airplay:

Not necessarily in this order, but the following come to mind:

Call Me the Breeze
Cry for the Bad Man
Searchin
Needle & the Spoon
That Smell
On the Hunt
Searchin
Workin for MCA
Made in the Shade
Simple Man
Mississippi Kid
I Know a Little

It'd be hard to pick a favorite.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #37

According to Wikipedia's definition of "Generation Jones" - I was born smack dab in the middle of it - "Generation Jones is a term used to describe the generation of people born between 1954 and 1965."

so I guess this tune I remember qualifies as a "Jones" tune also:

I recall having to convince somebody one time that was not originally a Motley Crue song.

(DD plays bass & I'd love to have her watch this video just so I could hear her play that bass line to Smokin - but I don't want her to see the bassist in that jumpsuit!!)
Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Oh yea, Leif was pretty much a major tool. Cute hair and tight pants never did it for me but plenty of young girls did idolize this guy. Just curious Martha, did you ever have a tween crush on some celeb? If so, might I be so bold as to inquire who it was?
Peter Tork(elson) of the Monkees. Ringo of the Beatles. Be still my pubescent heart.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

After re-listening to these sappy songs of my youth. I resolve never to complain about rap music again.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
According to Wikipedia's definition of "Generation Jones" - I was born smack dab in the middle of it - "Generation Jones is a term used to describe the generation of people born between 1954 and 1965."
As a '65 model myself, I guess I just barely qualify as a Joneser. And here all this time I thought I was one of the oldest Xers...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote