Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Generation Jones - WOO HOO!!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Generation Jones - WOO HOO!!

I wasn't sure where this belongs (I almost put in the political forum, but it didn't seem quite right)

I saw this today and it made FEEL SO GOOD!

When I first read about Generation Jones, I got a warm and fuzzy feeling, and finally felt "recognized" for the person that I am, and not just "a tail end baby boomer who is too young to really feel like a boomer, and clearly too old to be Gen X". There's this gray area of age (anyone from 45 to 55 or so) who have been "relegated" to the baby boomer category, and not really feeling the fit.

Don't get me wrong, boomers are amazing cats, and having been born just a wee bit too late to catch that major '60's hippie revolution thing with much understanding, I have always felt a little inconsequential. I didn't protest, I didn't burn my bra, I didn't have brothers or sisters who went to war. I was just this kid who grew up being told I was a boomer, and reading about boomers, and thinking, "but....that's not really me!"

So, if you're bored and looking for new topic to ponder, read up us Jonesers!

GENERATION JONES and THE 2008 U.S. PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION

(It looks like the main website is down for some serious udpating, perhaps to accomodate the onslaught of viewers as the whole concept reaches the masses.....?!?)

(B.O. is only 10 days older than me, HOW SWEEEEET!)

And while I am at it, a little bit of nostalgia (man, this was fun just hunting these down!):

queeneev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Those of us born in the late 50s to mid 60s used to be called the "Space Age" or "GoGo" generation. These tags keep changing.

A definition of Generation Jones, as in "keeping up with the Joneses"
Generation Jones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

full list of generation tags and years of birth is here
List of generations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, where did I put my Rubix cube?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've always thought that culturally, economically and politically, younger Boomers have more in common with older "Atari-wave" Xers than with older Boomers, so it makes some sense in that regard.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I was born the first year of the Baby Boom but don't feel like I fit there, either. You tail-end boomers seem like a lot of fun. Wonder if I can pass myself off as one of you; with a little practice I can finish a Rubix Cube in less than three minutes.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Just don't make me listen to the Partridge Family anymore.
Their barrage of bubble gum music over the FM airwaves was sufficient for once in my lifetime...
where is the gagging emoticon when ya really need it?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Oh, come on, get happy....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 01-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Oh, come on, get happy....
I found it....
Old 01-17-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Their barrage of bubble gum music over the FM airwaves was sufficient for once in my lifetime...
I hear ya!!! Partridges...blech!!!

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post

Agreed - I didn't click on any of those music links, for fear of getting a very nasty ear-whig.

But thanks to the OP anyway. It's been a long time since I was glad to be a few years older; old enough to be aware of, but not be a part of that stuff.

Just the thought of it makes we want to put my Layla boxed set on the CD player, that should do it Better yet, maybe Jeff Beck's Truth and Wired on vinyl... ahh, feeling better already (BTW, where has HFWR been?).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

what a charming animation.
my young girl and teenage friends were always swooning after and screaming about the latest long haired teenage boy idol. i just never understood it. my preference was checking out the adult men celebrities of the 70s. woohoooooo
Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
what a charming animation.
my young girl and teenage friends were always swooning after and screaming about the latest long haired teenage boy idol. i just never understood it. my preference was checking out the adult men celebrities of the 70s. woohoooooo
By the way, it's YOUR fault that I've had Partridge Family tunes stuck in my head all afternoon, and they won't come out. I hope you're happy.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
By the way, it's YOUR fault that I've had Partridge Family tunes stuck in my head all afternoon, and they won't come out. I hope you're happy.
Any particular song ?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Better you than me!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Oh man, you guys are all wrong. Susan Dey was hot, and Shirley Jones was the original MILF. The music was a distraction, but Rueben and the red headed kid were pretty funny together.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #15

Quote:
I remember listening to this guy instead of the Partridge Family when I was around twelve:

Does Class of '78 make me a Jones?

OK - maybe I heard a David Cassidy song or two when I was little, but this is the kind of stuff I remember listening to:

I could go on & on.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:09 AM   #16

I call myself a 'tweener' - born in 1964 - have aspects of both Boomer and Gen X in my make-up - love David Cassidy -Partridge Family (and Shaun -Hardy Boy:-)) as a kid - stayed up late to watch wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana - also stayed up to watch her funeral - the Brits do know how to do pomp and circumstance ceremonies!

My parents weren't boomers, just before that (1940/44 were born) - plus, father was in military, so upbringing was different (although we usually lived OFF base - I was usually the only kid whose father was military)

So, I guess I'm odd - but that's OK, I like my oddness :-) :-) :-)
Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Tex, I like your video findings as much as i like mine!!

I think we Jonesers kind of have the best of both worlds...as a pre-teen I got a large dose of Jimi and Janis, and then pimpled my way through the Eagles and Pink Floyd. Funny how the music sticks with you even when the elephant bells, musk oil, and wing bangs don't.
queeneev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Guess I fit into the Joneser discription too. I learned to love the Doors, Cream, Hendrix and others from my older brother. Then the '70s brought some great music from groups like the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, the Doobies, and Queen. In the late 70s and early 80s, I developed an appreciation for new wave and alternative music. One of the best concerts I ever went to was the Talking Heads at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Maryland. And who could forget these guys?

Old 01-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This face was plastered all over my bedroom walls...it was true "teenagery" love.....
Old 01-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Is that Bobby Sherman? If not, I don't recognise him.