Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Generational lifespan
Old 07-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Generational lifespan

My oldest grandson turned 14 a few weeks ago. We were talking (OK, I was talking while he tried not to let me see him roll his eyes...) and I pointed out how things were much different today than the world I knew when I turned 14 in 1960. I told him what was really remarkable is how different the world was today from when my maternal grandfather turned 14, which was in 1864 in the midst of the Civil War.

That started me wondering if that was unusual, to have a grandparent born 100 years prior to some of his or her grandchildren. How many of you had grandparents who were born prior to the Civil War?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm laughing at your grandson being nice to you.

You get my vote for the "I have the oldest grandfather" award right now.

My grandparents were all born just after 1900.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My great-grandfather was born 100 years before me. But my grand parents were born only 52-65 years before me.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Three generations - four centuries: US President Tyler (born 1790) has living grandchildren. http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/01...son-alive.html
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My oldest grandson turned 14 a few weeks ago. We were talking (OK, I was talking while he tried not to let me see him roll his eyes...) and I pointed out how things were much different today than the world I knew when I turned 14 in 1960. I told him what was really remarkable is how different the world was today from when my maternal grandfather turned 14, which was in 1864 in the midst of the Civil War.

That started me wondering if that was unusual, to have a grandparent born 100 years prior to some of his or her grandchildren. How many of you had grandparents who were born prior to the Civil War?
My maternal grandfather also was born in 1864, during the Civil War. My other grandfather was born in 1880.

Ha
Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Let me get this straight....

Your grandson,
His father or mother,
YOU,
Your parents
Your grandparents....

so you are asking about YOUR grandparents being born 100 years before your grandson

If that is the case... then that is REAL easy....

I had a grandfather who was around 80 when I was born... That would be you in my example... so yes, if you are asking about grandparents of grandparents, all of mine were born over 100 years from when I was born...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:

A grandparent born 100 years prior to some grandchildren is pretty unusual. My mother is a great-grandmother and she's 80 years older that her first granddaughter (hurricane Leila). My grandparents were all born in the 80's.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

so you are asking about YOUR grandparents being born 100 years before your grandson
No., I'm referring to me, not my grandson.

I was born 96 years after the birth of my grandfather in 1850, and I have several younger cousins who were born 100 or more years after their grandfather.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Three generations - four centuries: US President Tyler (born 1790) has living grandchildren. President John Tyler
That's a great article and an amazing story!

I can match his accomplishment - all I have to do is live to be 125...
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare
Three generations - four centuries: US President Tyler (born 1790) has living grandchildren. http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/01...son-alive.html
Interesting story. I like these articles for some odd reason. It ranks up there with the articles on the last civil war veteran widow dying about 10 years ago.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No., I'm referring to me, not my grandson.

I was born 96 years after the birth of my grandfather in 1850, and I have several younger cousins who were born 100 or more years after their grandfather.

OK, then I agree it is something that is not common... to do it, both have to be 50 when the child is born...

Just curious, was he alive when you were born
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #12

My grandparents on both sides were all born in the 1880's. However, I am fifty-seven (well, very soon to be 58) and my father was born in 1905 and my Mom in 1915. When I tell people about the 1905, they look at me like I just stepped out of a Conestoga wagon in my hoop skirt.

My Dad often talked about things like a Model A and Model T Ford, a rumbleseat, a zoot-suit, the icebox (instead of a fridge), going to the opening of the Lincoln tunnel in NYC. He also met Henry Ford and Thomas Edison at the Firestone Farms in eastern Ohio when his car broke down while driving past. This made him seem ancient to me even though he was a very lively and young looking man for his age.

In any case, my family did not come to this country until after 1900 so no one was involved in the Civil War in any way.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

On the flip side, my sister was a great-grandmother before she turned 60.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Just curious, was he alive when you were born
No, he died 10 years earlier.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
On the flip side, my sister was a great-grandmother before she turned 60.
Sounds like that side of the family had a lot of "side flipping" going on...
Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
That's a great article and an amazing story!

I can match his accomplishment - all I have to do is live to be 125...
Imagine how many posts you'll have by then.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #17

My paternal grandfather was born in 1865. I never got to meet him because he was gone before I arrived.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
My great-grandfather was born 100 years before me. But my grand parents were born only 52-65 years before me.
+1 Same for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

My paternal grandfather was born before the civil war began..98 years before I was born. I never knew him because he died before I was born. Only one living grandparent when I was born.
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Sounds like that side of the family had a lot of "side flipping" going on...
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote