Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
........... For pure remodeling usefulness a reciprocating saw is the cat's pajamas - but you are looking at ~$100 for a cordless. Also great for small pruning
The cordless models are great for harvesting catalytic converters, too, if the price of commodities goes back up.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Atomic Watch

A little more that $50. No one really needs to know the time to the billionth of a second, but It is nice to know your watch is right.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #43
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
i need some different gift ideas for dh2b. i speak Martian pretty well as a 2nd language (tools and misc guy domain stuff) but once again i am stumped.
gift numero uno - i already got him a gift subscription to a certain man's magazine. sssssssshhhhhhhhhh!
my budget for gift numero dos is $50 and under. he already owns enough computer software and hardware and digital stuff and tools and videos.
so let's hear your wish list, if you please. i know the rest of the gals here will benefit.
i am very openminded, so feel free to PM me if the idea is, um, well you know.
A programmable watch:

AOL Search
Old 11-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

i'm getting some really excellent ideas here, folks. there is a lot i can do for $50 or less.
i hope all are benefitting from the thread.
the Flexible Keyboard may end up on MY xmas list. TY Firedreamer for the link. i have tendinitis & nerve damage from carpal tunnel syndrome. I currently use a TouchStream touch sensitive keyboard made by Fingerworks. the company is now out of business and no more are being manufactured or sold . if this one listed is touch sensitive, it is mine!
it will eventually stop working, so i keep a constant eye out for one like it. there are no keys to press - it is a completely flat touch sensitive surface with the keys indicated with white/black key pattern with a deep purple background. i touch very lightly to type or do function keys. my right hand acts as the mouse - i simply trace 2 fingers across the flat surface, like you do on a laptop. the difference is my trace pad is also the right side of the keyboard also and measures approx 5" x 6".

Old 11-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
i'm getting some really excellent ideas here, folks. there is a lot i can do for $50 or less.
i hope all are benefitting from the thread. the Flexible Keyboard may end up on MY xmas list. TY Firedreamer for the link. i have tendinitis & nerve damage from carpal tunnel syndrome. I currently use a TouchStream touch sensitive keyboard made by Fingerworks. the company is now out of business and no more are being manufactured or sold . if this one listed is touch sensitive, it is mine!
it will eventually stop working, so i keep a constant eye out for one like it. there are no keys to press - it is a completely flat touch sensitive surface with the keys indicated with white/black key pattern with a deep purple background. i touch very lightly to type or do function keys. my right hand acts as the mouse - i simply trace 2 fingers across the flat surface, like you do on a laptop. the difference is my trace pad is also the right side of the keyboard also and measures approx 5" x 6".

More than $50 - Bluetooth Laser Virtual Keyboard

https://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/8193/
Old 11-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Actually did that once....

Suggestions:

A whole day of um, intimacy. No distractions, no costumes needed, just the one you were born in. Unplug the telephone.

Failing that...

A Dremel tool with lots of accessories. . . . .
I read this and laughed harder than I have in months! Problems with intimacy? Try a dremel. We have the accessory for you

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I read this and laughed harder than I have in months! Problems with intimacy? Try a dremel. We have the accessory for you

You wouldn't believe what they do with reciprocating saws.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
i saw the same thing you did, thought some wild thoughts, but decided i would let someone else pick up on it.
you go girl.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
it will eventually stop working, so i keep a constant eye out for one like it.
Note that even though the company is gone, you could get one on EBay.

Touchstream Keyboard (Fingerworks LP) - eBay (item 180309870445 end time Dec-04-08 18:34:38 PST)
Old 11-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
pre-Freebird era : he spent 46 years on his own, including 20 in the military. so his hearing is already toast to some extent. he will wear ear protection on his own, sans nagging.
Along these lines, a set of hearing protectors that also receive AM/FM is nice to have. Helps make mowing the lawn go faster and encourages use of hearing protection at times when a less-than-careful soul might go without them.

Nice ones ($59) with digital tuning and a jack for an iPod, etc. This brand might be available at your local Lowes, HD, etc

Here's
a less expensive model ($39) from Amazon. It also has AM/FM and a jack for an MP3 player, but the tuning isn't digital.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Note that even though the company is gone, you could get one on EBay.

Touchstream Keyboard (Fingerworks LP) - eBay (item 180309870445 end time Dec-04-08 18:34:38 PST)
yup, that's it. this keyboard rules.
the only problem with a used device like this is there is usually a not-so-good reason they are selling it. let the buyer beware, eh?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:51 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

A Casio or Timex Ironman type sport watch. Almost indestructible and suitable for many endeavors.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #53
Dryer sheet wannabe

perfect guy gift= a nice cordless electric screwdriver, maybe a black&decker
swkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #54

I wouldn't turn down a bottle of Patron
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

And since no one called him out on it, T-Al's suggestion of the nose hair clippers is not a good one. Trust me on this...not even from his mother is this a good gift suggestion.

But I do like those costume ideas...throw in a dremel tool and I'm there!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 PM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
But I do like those costume ideas...throw in a dremel tool and I'm there!

And of course their is always the ship's nurse and the captain . If you need a nurse's cap I may still have one .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #57
Gone but not forgotten

I got my So this for Christmas one year . He loved it .

Craftsman Professional Personalized 5 pc. Metric Long Pattern 12 pt. Combination Wrench Set with Case - Model 42080 at Sears.com
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote