George Blanda dies

73ss454

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Oh yeah! What a player. I remember the year he had to play QB for Oakland because Daryl Lamonica kept getting hurt. He must have been 60 by then, or it seemed like it. But he kept coming out, throwing passes, and winning games either passing or kicking. It was a blast to watch, even though I was a Colts fan. Of course, it was easy to complete passes if you were throwing to Fred Bilitnikoff. I probably wouldn't remember this all so fondly if the Colts hadn't managed to pull out the playoff game against them. Great entertainment. RIP, George.

I first became a Blanda fan when I was a really little kid, rooting for my Wildcats. He played QB and kicked, under Bear Bryant. Fantastic player.

Ha

I always enjoyed watching him guide the Raiders to a come back win. I can almost hear ole Curt Gowdy calling one of his games.;)

He played in a different era and still has some major records...

Take a look at the video on the play that starts at :27.... at the end the defense spears the guy... because you COULD... no flag... also, that is when after you passed the ball, the defense took a shot and put you on your back... roughing the passer was not a common call...

I remember him more as a kicker... but do remember him when he QBed for Oakland.... before my time in Houston...

Back
Top Bottom