Join Early Retirement Today

Re: George Foreman Grill?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:22 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are the advantages of a GF-type grill over one of those grill pans that you heat up over a burner?

(I have never used either. I send DH out into the cold to fire up the gas BBQ if I really have grilling in mind.)

I imagine you don't have to turn the food, but beside that...? Any thoughts?
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2006, 06:06 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

The Geroge Foreman grill is great for preparing a meal for one or two people. I am careful to use a spatula that will not damage the teflon so mine has a couple years of useage. The newer ones with the removal grills sounds good but you will need to take care and not clean it with abrasive metal scrubbies.

I really like the tilted design with the catch treys to reduce reduce the fat. The cooking time is fast, just right for a single guy who hates to cook for one. The amount of smoke is minimal if you use extra lean meats but I use it within range of the exhaust fan above my stove.

Overall I give it a thumbs up. I suggest beginning with the cheapest model.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:12 AM   #23

I loved my George Foremen until I started grilling salmon in it. I had to throw it away because of the permanent fishy smell :P We now use a grill on top of the stove and it works wonders. No fishy smell when trying to grill chicken and vice versa. Plus, the on the stove grill can be put in the oven for a few minutes after the initial grilling.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:33 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow, thanks for the great input! There is one on sale (cheap) at Kohl's that I'm going to look at today ($29.99, then 15% off due to the sale...) If I try it and hate it, I won't have lost much. But I can see where the removable grill feature would be helpful.

I knew I'd get good info from all of you.

Thanks!
CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:53 AM   #25

Anyone want to know the secret for using your George Foreman grill without having to clean it later?

My father taught me this trick, so he gets all the credit. Tear a piece of aluminum foil that is sufficient to just cover the upper and lower plates with enough "play" in the middle to be tucked into the hinge. Place the foil shiny side down on the grill (i.e. with the dull side up). Press the foil into the plates so that it molds to them. Fold the corners of the lower part inward, so that the lower part is no wider than the grease catcher tray. Fold the upper part over the top edge of the grill (where the lift handle is). Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray. Put your food (e.g. burgers) on the lower foil-covered grill plate and close the lid. Fold the sides of the foil upwards to avoid the fat leaking out the sides.

Voila -- you have a completely disposable aluminum foil "liner" for your Foreman grill that you can throw away once you're done cooking. No need for a messy clean-up, and the teflon on the grill stays intact.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:58 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
REWhahoo, try to stick with the topic under discussion?
That's non-stick!! Or is it "non-schtick"?

Crazy Canadian... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Foil - good tip

However - step daughter in spare room - wouldn't let me touch her George Foreman.

Hence - it stayed pristine.

Problem solved - at least in her mind.

I was always - sent outside to grill - on the 'man's BBQ!

heh heh heh heh

We have a gas job here in MO - waiting for spring and er ah - my magic touch.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:34 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Wow, thanks for the great input!* There is one on sale (cheap) at Kohl's that I'm going to look at today ($29.99, then 15% off due to the sale...)* If I try it and hate it, I won't have lost much.* But I can see where the removable grill feature would be helpful.

I knew I'd get good info from all of you.*

Thanks!
CJ
This place is a wealth of information, isn't it? I never thought of trying veggies on that thing, but what a great idea!

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #29

I have one of the non-GF griills with removable grills. I got it for meat, but even with the removable grills it's a bit of a pain to clean. I used it for frozen fries a lot, and that works well.

For meats it's not much harder to use a skillet and the skillet is much much easier to clean. Plus you can always pour in some wine or beer and make a nice sauce after taking the meat out.

I haven't been cooking at home in ages, but I think I may start again soon. Speaking of which, anyone have a recipe for P.F. Chang's spicy chicken?

I keep thinking about throwing out the grill because it's difficult to clean, but it does so well with the frozen fries I haven't tossed it yet.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I have one of the non-GF griills with removable grills. I got it for meat, but even with the removable grills it's a bit of a pain to clean. I used it for frozen fries a lot, and that works well.

For meats it's not much harder to use a skillet and the skillet is much much easier to clean. Plus you can always pour in some wine or beer and make a nice sauce after taking the meat out.

I haven't been cooking at home in ages, but I think I may start again soon. Speaking of which, anyone have a recipe for P.F. Chang's spicy chicken?

I keep thinking about throwing out the grill because it's difficult to clean, but it does so well with the frozen fries I haven't tossed it yet.
Try my father's aluminum foil trick. You may be less inclined to toss your grill.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 01-16-2006, 08:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.
If you use Reynolds Release you won't need to spray.* http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/reyn...ease/index.asp
Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #32

As soon as I finish cooking with the GF, I take 2-4 wet paper towels and spread on the GF and close the lid for a few minutes and then use the paper towels to wipe it clean. Makes it much easier to clean.

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
As soon as I finish cooking with the GF, I take 2-4 wet paper towels and spread on the GF and close the lid for a few minutes and then use the paper towels to wipe it clean.* Makes it much easier to clean.

Dreamer
Umm...I'm assuming you meant the George Foreman grill.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:13 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
Speaking of which, anyone have a recipe for P.F. Chang's spicy chicken?
You must be joking...

10 ounces chicken breast
Potato starch
Canola oil

3 tablespoons oil back into hot wok
1 teaspoon garlic*
1/4 cup green onions
1 teaspoon chili paste *
1 ounce house white sauce (chicken stock with a
touch of oyster sauce)
1 ounce Chang's Sauce (sugar and vinegar combined)
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Diced chicken breast lightly coated with potato starch

Fill hot wok with enough Canola oil to fry chicken. Fry chicken for two to three minutes until golden brown and cooked all the way through. Drain the chicken. Rinse out the wok.

Add oil back into hot wok, garlic, green onions, chili paste , house white sauce, Chang's Sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch. Mix in fried chicken. Sauce should bind to the chicken. Serve with steamed rice or noodles.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #35

Can't wait to try the foil trick. Thanks, Jay.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Or, if you were looking for their spicy chicken lettuce wraps:

8 dried shiitake mushrooms
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp dry sherry
2 tsp water
salt and pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
5 Tbsp oil
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, minced
2 small dried chilis, (optional)
8 oz can bamboo shoots, minced
8 oz can water chestnuts, minced
1 package cellophane Chinese rice noodles, prepared according to package

Cooking Sauce:
1 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp dry sherry
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch

Iceberg lettuce "cups" leaves ( I tried the Iceberg lettuce and did not like it
so I changed it to a bibb or other leaf lettuce )

Cover mushrooms with boiling water, let stand 30 minutes then drain. Cut and
discard woody stems. Minces mushrooms. Set aside. Mix all ingredients for
cooking sauce in bowl, and set aside. In medium bowl, combine cornstarch, sherry
water, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and chicken. Stir to coat chicken thoroughly.
Stir in 1 tsp. oil and let sit 15 minutes to marinate. Heat wok or large skillet
over medium high heat. Add 3 Tbsp oil, then add chicken and stir fry for about
3-4 minutes. Set aside. Add 2 Tbsp oil to pan. Add ginger, garlic, chilies(if
desired), and onion; stir fry about a minute or so. Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots
and water chestnuts; stir fry an additional 2 minutes. Return chicken to pan.
Add mixed cooking sauce to pan. Cook until thickened and hot. Break cooked
cellophane noodles into small pieces, and cover bottom of serving dish with
them. Then pour chicken mixture on top of noodles. Spoon into lettuce leaf and
Roll.

We have a pf changs AND another outfit they bought and run under a different name thats sort of a 'changs lite' with a slightly smaller menu and smaller prices. Best wonton soup I've ever had.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

If you're interested in these and want to try a smaller cheaper one, search for this on amazon:
George Foreman GR10AWHT Champ Grill

14.99, eligible for free shipping if you order $25 or more, and eligible for $25 off if you buy $125 total in kitchen and housewares...
Old 01-16-2006, 09:31 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Nutrition is a science, if you want to learn about it, it takes a little work.

The reason people in this country are obese is the same reason they are broke, too damn lazy to read a book and do the work. To be honest, being healthy is a lot like retiring early.

Good Books:

Body for life by Bill Phillips

Optimum Sports Nutrition by Michael Colgan (my favorite)

Take it from someone who has been down the road of being in great shape and surprised even myself with what I was able to accomplish that you need to read. It is the difference between being a fool buying a penny stock online and being uhhh Brewster or whoever on this board is really into the markets.
TomSimpsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #39

Thanks parenthetical null [ () ], that looks like what I wanted! (The entree spicy chicken.)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

No problem, Crash. There, you've got a new nickname! You know those guys in texas probably rammed your corolla on purpose, didntya? "Look billy bob, theres one a them there japaneees cars...lets hit it and see what happens!"

Seriously, hope you're well and enjoy the chicken!