Georgia Speed Traps

Buckeye

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We drove DH's car from OH to FL as the next step of our permanent relocation to FL. There were many troopers and sheriffs and police out on I-75 in OH, KY, TN and GA writing tickets. Far more than I have ever seen on the previous times we have made this drive or the return trip.

Could be seeing conspiracies where none exist but it appeared GA was quite inventive at revenue generation. Several times we ran across stretches of highway with orange barrels present and orange construction signs warning of doubled speeding fines but no physical signs of construction. The speed limit was reduced to 60 mph from 70 mph. The roads in those areas looked as wide as they could possibly be and were in excellent condition with nothing dug up and no equipment in sight other than a trooper with a radar/laser gun pointed at you!

A few months ago, I got stopped in one of those orange barrel zones.

"Mr. LOL!, did you notice that the speed limit is 55 mph in the Orange Barrel Zone."
"No, sir. I must've missed the change in the speed limit."
"Mr. LOL!, you were going 75 mph and you must know that at night, the speed limit outside the Orange Barrel Zone drops from 70 mph to 60 mph anyways. So you were driving faster than the speed limit anyways."
"Well, I guess I was going too fast."
"I'm not going to write you a ticket. Please be careful and don't drive so fast."
"Thank you, sir."

"Mr. LOL!, you were going 75 mph and you must know that at night, the speed limit outside the Orange Barrel Zone drops from 70 mph to 60 mph anyways. So you were driving faster than the speed limit anyways."

I've never heard of speed limits dropping at night.

I've never heard of speed limits dropping at night.
:confused:

img_845748_0_d2779bf7ca5e07453ed7cf0e31a6363e.jpg

80 mph? :eek: Holy carp!!! We are lucky to get 65 mph in OH.
We just drove that stretch on our vacation in NM last week. I set the cruise control right on 79 for that stretch on I-10 we drove, which was between Junction and Fort Stockton, TX...

Nothing like an out of state plate to get the bubblegum machine going.
"You aren't from around here, are you?" <substitute any local dialect>

Just kidding. :LOL:

I am an avid user of cruise control. My only recent interstate highway driving was I-81 through NY and PA. It is the poster child of perpetual construction. When the speed limit sign read 45 mph, I did 45.

NY has automatic license suspension after 2 times speeding in w*rk zones on any size highway and nice big signs announcing that to drivers.

DH had two speed controllers....cruise control and a b*tchy wife in the passenger seat who kept reminding him "if you get another speeding ticket I'm taking you off the insurance (before insurance finds out and cancels us) and you can walk for a year!" In the last two years, he got two speeding tickets in the SAME place outside of our town. Time to straighten up and pay attention.

He is generally a law abiding good citizen but for some reason he just can't seem to follow the speed limit. Not a dangerous driver but it gets expensive!

I had just given him another "did you notice we just entered a 60 mph construction zone" comment and soon after there was the trooper with the laser radar pointing right at us. He was very law abiding the rest of the trip to FL without wifey input. He knew he would have been nailed had I not been bugging him.

FYI, just because there are orange barrels and no sign of construction doesn't mean its a scam. It means the construction is complete by the contractor, but not considered complete by the state/county/municipality until someone from the guv'mt gets there with a punch list and verifies it.

I use both a radar/laser detector and a GPS system loaded with POIs (points of interest) containing red light camera locations, air surveylance areas (VASCAR), speed cameras and known speed traps. Quite nice to be driving along and have my GPS give me an audible warning that I'm approaching one of the POIs!

Some time back, I decided that I was going to drive at or near (no more than 5MPH over) the speed limit. I've never noticed myself being late to an event because of driving the speed limit and all in all, I kind of enjoy not feeling uncomfortable if I see a radar trap. I do still automatically reduce my speed and touch the brakes though, just a reflex I guess.

I do get annoyed by construction slow downs when there isn't construction although around here, even when the construction is under way, it's hard to see because of all the workers that are standing around.

We're through Georgia to or from Fl twice a year (Il,In,Ky,Tn, Ga,Fl). So far we have not seen any unusual level of police activity or speed traps - but given the decline in state and municipal tax revenue, such an increase would not be a surprise. I tend to stay within 10 mph of the posted limit, although once we leave Il the roads are much better and we are passed more often than we pass others.

Had an employee that swore she considered the speed limits posted as just a "suggestion" and nothing more.

Yup. Have to remind myself at times that the Valentine One, good as it is, is not a cloaking device. Valentine One radar and laser detectors and laser gun? Just pull over, turn off the key, and put your hands on top of the wheel. Wait for further instructions.

I see some of the same thing going on up here in NH. So I bought a nice refurbished radar detector. Usually I'm pretty law abiding, but occasionally end up going too fast inadvertantly, usually early in the morning or when no traffic is around.

I have a speed limit warning in my car, I should try it. You set it at a certain speed, and the voice nags you.

I see some of the same thing going on up here in NH. So I bought a nice refurbished radar detector. Usually I'm pretty law abiding, but occasionally end up going too fast inadvertantly, usually early in the morning or when no traffic is around.

I have a speed limit warning in my car, I should try it. You set it at a certain speed, and the voice nags you.
`

usually law abiding-ish as well and pretty aware when I'm not. I like the dash too much to have the OBC get ripped out due to nagging me....

All of my cars have this feature too - it is my finger pointing to the speedometer and casually mentioning how nice it is to be in the safe driver risk pool and have those lower rates. ;)

Back
Top Bottom