Join Early Retirement Today

German engineering
Old 08-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

German engineering

Thought some might enjoy this funny German seniors story along with an interesting solution to just-in-time beer....

German Men Escape Nursing Home to Go to Metal Festival

To help combat the heat, beer is being transported to the grounds via a seven-kilometer pipeline. This, they promoters say, will protect the grounds from being torn up by the trucks that have always brought the beer and reduce traffic in the area. The pipeline contains enough pressure to pour six beers in six seconds, fast enough to satisfy the average daily demand of 5.1 liters per fan.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #2

Before Joy manufacturing entered the market with a far superior coal mining shearer, we were forced to buy an Eichoff shearer. While it was an incredible machine, it was hydraulically powered and susceptible to dirt. (Yeah, imagine dirt in a coal mine!) To repair these million dollar machines, you had to take the huge heavy lids off and expose the intricate workings that resembled a Swiss watch, bathed in it's own hydraulic oil reservoir. It was so beautiful to watch the German engineered intestines operate, with little pumps, pitot tubes, suction lines, filters etc. It was always dirt that would screw up the works, and of course, after correction the original malfunction, another piece of coal, say the size if a pencil eraser or smaller, would fall in and gum up the works in another week or two.

Yes, German overengineering, and it seems to still occur with this beer pipeline.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:28 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I find this sad, not funny. The men obviously had planning ability and initiative - they sound too smart to be in a "home," where they probably don't get any beer. Imagine, a German who doesn't get to drink beer any more. They were treated like prisoners - captured and transported from the festival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Thought some might enjoy this funny German seniors story along with an interesting solution to just-in-time beer....

German Men Escape Nursing Home to Go to Metal Festival

To help combat the heat, beer is being transported to the grounds via a seven-kilometer pipeline. This, they promoters say, will protect the grounds from being torn up by the trucks that have always brought the beer and reduce traffic in the area. The pipeline contains enough pressure to pour six beers in six seconds, fast enough to satisfy the average daily demand of 5.1 liters per fan.

omni
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #4

Applying some German engineering to the article (I'm both).
pipeline capacity = "pour six beers in six seconds" (that's 1/sec)
75,000 fans per day
86,400 seconds per day = each fan gets 1.15 beer per day.

Not much of a festival...
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

I dunno.

Quote:
...the average daily demand of 5.1 liters per fan.
Sounds to me like they're dunk off their heinies.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I find this sad, not funny...…. They were treated like prisoners - captured and transported from the festival.
This troubles me too, and is one of my fears. I'm not sure at what age one loses their right to self-determination. I saw this with senior members of my own family. Examples :

(1) At a hospital, one member of my family became very uncomfortable in an enclosed medical scanning machine and asked to be let out. The staff refused saying they "were almost done". My family member became panicked and insistent that they be let out. Stated very clearly "I'm done, I want out of this machine now." The staff still refused and looked to me to persuade my family member. I was very annoyed and they were none too happy when I asked why they were refusing to remove my family member from the machine at their request and asking who the supervisor on duty was. They reluctantly complied but now I am no longer allowed to accompany that family member for their scans.

(2) My grandmother was in the hospital and expected to last only a day or two. She was very old and I cant remember the list of ailments she had at the time. She asked for roast beef, mashed potatoes, and Reese's peanut butter cups. I was happy to get them for her but the nurse told me she absolutely couldn't have them, the doctor had not approved it. I was dumbfounded. Explaining she literally was only expected to live for 24 hours +/- I asked what reason could there possibly be to deny her what she wanted to eat? No legitimate answer and I made sure grandma got the meal she wanted. The nurse blew a gasket and I wasn't welcome after that. For what its worth, my grandma perked up and was out of the hospital a few days later and lived for a year or so after this.

You are right, I dont see it as being much more than a prisoner. I'd really prefer to check out before that becomes my status.
Snidely Whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
This troubles me too, and is one of my fears. I'm not sure at what age one loses their right to self-determination. I saw this with senior members of my own family. Examples :

(1) At a hospital, one member of my family became very uncomfortable in an enclosed medical scanning machine and asked to be let out. The staff refused saying they "were almost done". My family member became panicked and insistent that they be let out. Stated very clearly "I'm done, I want out of this machine now." The staff still refused and looked to me to persuade my family member. I was very annoyed and they were none too happy when I asked why they were refusing to remove my family member from the machine at their request and asking who the supervisor on duty was. They reluctantly complied but now I am no longer allowed to accompany that family member for their scans.

(2) My grandmother was in the hospital and expected to last only a day or two. She was very old and I cant remember the list of ailments she had at the time. She asked for roast beef, mashed potatoes, and Reese's peanut butter cups. I was happy to get them for her but the nurse told me she absolutely couldn't have them, the doctor had not approved it. I was dumbfounded. Explaining she literally was only expected to live for 24 hours +/- I asked what reason could there possibly be to deny her what she wanted to eat? No legitimate answer and I made sure grandma got the meal she wanted. The nurse blew a gasket and I wasn't welcome after that. For what its worth, my grandma perked up and was out of the hospital a few days later and lived for a year or so after this.

You are right, I dont see it as being much more than a prisoner. I'd really prefer to check out before that becomes my status.

I hope someone with more knowledge than me can add something to this..

But your first example is bad IMO... the reason is that a lot of people can get uncomfortable in one of those machines... but once told it is almost done they calm down... if you stop the procedure than the whole time so far is wasted... they looked to YOU to give some comforting words hoping to finish the procedure... IMO you should have asked how much longer and then informed your family member and let them decide if they want out...

BTW, I got a stabbing pain in my back inside of one of them and was yelling to get out... first, they could not hear me as it was LOUD... second, they told me 2 or 3 more minutes, can you hold out... I said yes...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

But your first example is bad IMO... the reason is that a lot of people can get uncomfortable in one of those machines... but once told it is almost done they calm down... if you stop the procedure than the whole time so far is wasted... they looked to YOU to give some comforting words hoping to finish the procedure... IMO you should have asked how much longer and then informed your family member and let them decide if they want out...
Respectfully, I disagree. Explain those issues you raised ahead of time, that’s fine, but once “I'm done, I want out of this machine now." comes out of my mouth, no alternative other than getting me out is acceptable.

I’m curious (and not meaning to be snarky), in your opinion how long is it OK to keep someone in a scanning machine when they want out because it’s almost done?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Applying some German engineering to the article (I'm both).
pipeline capacity = "pour six beers in six seconds" (that's 1/sec)
75,000 fans per day
86,400 seconds per day = each fan gets 1.15 beer per day.

Not much of a festival...
Obviously, something is amiss and does not jibe with the number of 5 liters/fan. I smiled when thinking that only nerds, er, engineers would double check the numbers like that.

Earlier today, I saw on the Web another article regarding Kroger not accepting Visa cards, something brought up on another thread. This Web article added that Kroger itself had to pay $90 billion/year in swipe fees. What?!?

How much is Kroger total annual sale, for them to pay $90 billion. A few trillions? No way!

So, I looked and Kroger's annual sale number is $120 billion. So, how do they pay $90B in fees, and where does that number come from?

Checking the Web, I saw that the $90B is the total swipe fees that perhaps all merchants pay. The writer of that article misquoted this number. Silly!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #10

I read an article about the beer pipeline on the BBC web site, and they quoted an average of 5.1 litres (nine pints) of beer per person during the festival, which is 3 days.

They also gave a line size of 35 cm (14") and a length of 7km. If that is taken at face value, that means there is 175,000 GALLONS of beer just in the pipe. But looking more closely at the wording of the article, it's a 7km network of piping. And if you look at the photographs here, it looks more like a 35 cm conduit that contains other pipe systems such as potable water. Still, it's impressive. The wording also implies that waste water piping is buried in the same trench but I hope not. (BTW, that wouldn't be allowed by US codes.)

Ah, the curse of being an (ex-) engineer.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:36 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Respectfully, I disagree. Explain those issues you raised ahead of time, that’s fine, but once “I'm done, I want out of this machine now." comes out of my mouth, no alternative other than getting me out is acceptable.

I’m curious (and not meaning to be snarky), in your opinion how long is it OK to keep someone in a scanning machine when they want out because it’s almost done?

I guess you did not get my point... lots of people want out, but when given more information they accept where they are... knowing that it will only be 2 minutes can change someone's mind... knowing it will be 30 probably will not...

So, the operators appear (IMO) to try and get the patient to stick it out...

The alternative is to NOT get any results... and more than likely having to do it over again... and who is going to pay for the costs of that?

BTW, I would suggest to your family member to be given sedatives... my BIL insisted they put him to sleep before stuffing him in one of those tubes...
Old 08-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I read an article about the beer pipeline on the BBC web site, and they quoted an average of 5.1 litres (nine pints) of beer per person during the festival, which is 3 days.

They also gave a line size of 35 cm (14") and a length of 7km. If that is taken at face value, that means there is 175,000 GALLONS of beer just in the pipe. But looking more closely at the wording of the article, it's a 7km network of piping. And if you look at the photographs here, it looks more like a 35 cm conduit that contains other pipe systems such as potable water. Still, it's impressive. The wording also implies that waste water piping is buried in the same trench but I hope not. (BTW, that wouldn't be allowed by US codes.)

Ah, the curse of being an (ex-) engineer.

Just looking at the pics it would appear that they SHOULD be able to pour more than 6 beers in 6 seconds...

They might be talking about each station and there are going to be many stations...

Some engineer... it looks like even the small pipes are in the 3 inch range... IMO you can have high pressure in these lines and throttle it back at the various taps... so let's use 30 psi and 60 psi and determine the amount of flow we can get through a 3 inch line...

Here is something I found on setting up a home pour station...

I looked on a forum and it seems serving pressure for many was between 10 psi and 15 psi....
Old 08-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #13

Quote:
I
BTW, I would suggest to your family member to be given sedatives... my BIL insisted they put him to sleep before stuffing him in one of those tubes...
I highly recommend Ativan.......Better living through pharmacology.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I guess you did not get my point....
I do get your point. I just don’t agree with it. And you don’t agree with mine.
That’s fair. I’ll agree to disagree and move on.......
Old 08-06-2018, 11:48 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I do get your point. I just don’t agree with it. And you don’t agree with mine.
That’s fair. I’ll agree to disagree and move on.......

OK, good enough for me... just thought I had worded it wrong...
Old 08-07-2018, 01:16 AM   #16

I guess I'll have to make darn sure it's understood I'm let out or ending what ever procedure I'm going to be subjected to when I say so and immediately or I am not participating. Just knowing someone else was being kept beyond their demand to end the test and let out is enough that I'd have to seriously consider the absolute need for any future tests I might be told are needed. Tantamount to being abducted and probed by aliens.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I guess I'll have to make darn sure it's understood I'm let out or ending what ever procedure I'm going to be subjected to when I say so and immediately or I am not participating. Just knowing someone else was being kept beyond their demand to end the test and let out is enough that I'd have to seriously consider the absolute need for any future tests I might be told are needed. Tantamount to being abducted and probed by aliens.

IMO it sounds worse than it really is... have you ever been in one of these machines? I have... and there was a point that I started to panic and was in pain (my back, which is why I was in it to begin with).... I yelled to be let out... if the guy had immediately done what I had asked the past 20 minutes were down the drain... I had 2 more minutes and he told me so... I just closed my eyes and calmed down... got through it..

If he had said I had 20 more minutes I would have insisted to be let out and I think he would have...

Since I have been through it, that is why I am OK with them not immediately doing what you ask... but I also agree that you are the final determination of what happens...

I have not heard of anybody what was forced to stay in after repeatedly being asked to get out... maybe Snydly will tell us how long it was from first request to getting family member out... I reread the post and he uses strong language such as 'refused'... again, it is timing and experience... they are trained to try and keep the patient in to get results... I do not call that refusing to let you out, but trying to convince you to stay...