German Weather House

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Does anyone have one or know what they are. My sister has 5 of them and says they are more accurate then the weatherman. Lol They seem pretty interesting none the leas I may order one.

If not familiar with just google them.

The man with the umbrella comes forward when rain or cloudy weather is likely. The girl with flowers comes forward in fairer weather.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_house

Last edited:
I did not know the name, but after I googled it, I remember that I had one as a child.

I don't have a German background, but did have a grandmother who (originally) came from Austria Hungary (Czech) and I believe that she brought it back from one of her trips to Europe.

Edited: More is coming back to me. My grandmother did bring this back and put it in my bedroom. She told me NOT to touch it. I was about six years old. You can imagine how that worked out. I HAD to touch it. (Gently moved the little man and woman in and out of their doors.) Anyway, mine wasn't very accurate. I was told that was because I touched it. I can't remember if we had air conditioning in the house at that time.

Last edited:
From Wikipedia:
a weather house functions as a hygrometer embellished by folk art. The male and female figures ride on a balance bar, which is suspended by a piece of catgut or hair. The gut relaxes or shrinks based on the humidity in the surrounding air, relaxing when the air is wet and tensing when the air is dry. This action swings one figure or the other out of the house depending on the humidity.
Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 9.48.48 AM.png

As braumeister wrote, these are based on measuring humidity (more humid air = higher chance of rain). So, no, they are not very accurate - especially not in air conditioned rooms. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom