Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Get a Life!
Old 12-02-2005, 07:37 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good post, thanks.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2005, 08:34 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I've worked at NBC, CBS and Turner - I never met anyone who worked the long hours some people describe.* I work 8:45 - 5:15, long walks during lunch

I don't get this.
Count your blessings!

Over my 31 years in this business I have worked some nasty hours. My previous management worked 14-16 hour days 6-7 days a week for over 2 years. It was expected that the "indians" would also work a ton of hours and we did. My typical schedule was arrive at 6:45am...lunch at desk or in meetings...dinner at desk and go home anywhere from 8-9pm. Work a couple more hours at home. Repeat.

Even in most of my previous positions days were typically 11-13 hours long with short lunches and another 1-2 hours of "homework" each night.

My current job is almost a vacation. 10-11 hour days and no weekends and rarely any homework. Oh, and I do seem to find time between meetings to surf some boards.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I've worked at NBC, CBS and Turner - I never met anyone who worked the long hours some people describe.
My FIL logged those insane hours at CBS News, Washington DC bureau, 1964-94. His consolation is that at least he was union (IBEW) instead of management.

It wasn't unusual for him to report to work at the normal 4 AM time (for the morning news or whatever talk show) and end up flying to Indiana or California to follow around a news story or a politician. As long as the company got him home within 24 hours they'd skip the hotel and sleep on the plane.

His worst months (highest overtime $$) were 1968 and the Watergate years, but he still has horrible memories of filming/transmitting football games in Pittsburgh. (The old stadium was not exactly equipped to handle the halftime sewage load.) They'd fly out Saturday afternoon, spend all night setting up, shoot the game, spend most of the evening tearing down, and get back early Monday morning. Then one year the weather diverted their plane to Cleveland and they almost didn't make airtime, so from then on they'd fly out Friday night. At least they got to spend Saturday night in a hotel.

He routinely put in 60-hour weeks during the '92 Presidential campaign (which contributed substantially to ER). His stories, especially the ones from accompanying Dan Quayle, scared me into voting for Clinton.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:48 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A guy in the neighborhood was a news producer for NBC, he was on the air in LA when Pres. Kennedy was shot. His stories about his assignments and the business are priceless.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Even in most of my previous positions days were typically 11-13 hours long with short lunches and another 1-2 hours of "homework" each night.
But that's just nutz..they don't print enough money to pay me to do that! Rather be poor but have a life.
RockMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rok
But that's just nutz..they don't print enough money to pay me to do that!* Rather be poor but have a life.
I was also on salary as was my late wife. We both worked these hours so somehow that made it more tolerable.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get what you want. We were willing to work the hours to get the paychecks that allowed us to ER. It was not pretty but it was what we felt we needed to do to get the $$ to invest so we could be FI and ER.

Could we have done it on less? Yes but the life-style we were looking for required more $$ than would have been possible otherwise. We also had the Golden Handcuffs to deal with and it was too much to walk away from since it was a significant part of our FI plan. Why leave money on the table if you are only a couple of years away from it? I prefer to see it as using the system to get what I wanted.

Within days of reaching age 50 I advised them I would be taking ER in two weeks and then Elvis left the building. My new company was kind enough to move our 20 tons of stuff half-way across the country, pay all my closing costs for two houses, give me a nice moving bonus with stock options, and a better medical plan. The only bad thing was a 20% pay cut but the cost of living is 75% lower here than there, so I did not really come out too bad on the deal. I have full retirement benefits from my old company whenever I want to turn them on including medical and dental insurance; a small pension and I rolled my 401(k) into an IRA where I can direct it.

Yes, I paid a high price in my early years....a divorce and lost face time with my kids. But that was my wake up call and my attitude towards work changed as a result and all my efforts were focused on FI. It takes money to be FI and dumpster diving, KMart Blue Light Specials and driving junkers was not my idea of FI. Creature comforts, a decent car, some "toys" and a low restriction life-style were what we were shooting for.

Nobody knows more than I do about lost time on ones life. My late wife worked 34 years for the same company. She ER's and died 7 months later at the age of 57. Sometimes you pay more for what you get than you intended. Nobody said life was fair. Sometimes the best we can do is dependent on the path we see to get us there.

We each have our own way of getting to FIRE. There is no right of wrong; there is only what works in each of our own unique lives.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It takes money to be FI and dumpster diving, KMart Blue Light Specials and driving junkers was not my idea of FI.
Our kid was out with her posse last Saturday night, leaving us parents free for a few hours of uninhibited hedonistic adult quality time. You must have been following us around!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 12-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #28

Quote:
I was also on salary as was my late wife. We both worked these hours so somehow that made it more tolerable.
I've noticed since my wife started working 1 month ago that I don't mind working a little more at the office. I may break 44 hours this week (usually do 40-41). When my wife isn't eagerly awaiting my return from work, I don't feel as motivated to get home early. I guess I'm not used to coming home to an empty, lonely, quiet house (so peaceful and tranquil though).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I decided that long hours were not worth it back when I was a tax accountant....

I would wash clothes at 3 AM... from Jan 15 until Apr 15 worked every day... put in 100 hour weeks... got paid squat...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Another story... many years later....

We had a new young boss who kept trying to make us work late and on the weekends... well, one of the other workers wanted to take off the weekend since Monday was a holiday and he had family coming over... he normally would leave to pick up the kids since his wife was the major bread winner...

But, he know that the little weasel boss would try and make him come to work on the Monday.... so he arranged that his wife would pick up the kids... on Friday afternoon when the boss said they need to finish the contracts and that he would need to come in to work.. he said, OH, I planned on staying as late as necessary tonight to get it done... are you not staying Well, the boss had a hot date that night and did not want to stay... so he decided Monday was not necessary and Tuesday was OK..

It is because you allow them to get away with this behavior that they continue to do it.... REBEL...
Old 12-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
I decided that long hours were not worth it back when I was a tax accountant....*

I would wash clothes at 3 AM...* from Jan 15 until Apr 15 worked every day...* put in 100 hour weeks...* got paid squat...
I worked in Accounting/Finance for decades, but only worked as
a tax accountant PT after I semiretired. I never saw the long hours, but I also "got paid squat". It was okay as I just
wanted a little "walking around money". No complaints,
but the work was BORING!

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I worked in Accounting/Finance for decades, but only worked as
a tax accountant PT after I semiretired.* I never saw the long hours, but I also "got paid squat".* It was okay as I just
wanted a little* "walking around money".* No complaints,
but the work was BORING!

JG
It was interesting doing rich people, trust and estates.... We had one guy who had suggested quarterly tax payment of $5 million... very interesting tax return...

But we also had the average executive who had a big salary and a few partnerships etc... they thought they were tough tax returns, but like you said... it was boring work...

Maybe I will do that when I retire to have a bit of walking around money.... never know until you get there...
Old 12-02-2005, 04:56 PM   #33

So TP, with respect to your previous post, what did you decide to do when it was no longer worth it you/
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

My new position is in a group where 120 hour pay periods (60 hour weeks) is normal. The thing is, they pay us overtime over 80, then force you to go home after 120. If it really needs to get done, they will authorize more hours-paid-if you request it. This all is in the name of competitiveness, because we bid totally unrealistic software delivery dates, then somehow this brilliant team gets it done on time. The thing is, people love the work. We are doing this really important thing, something that matters. Even though I've only been in it 3 weeks, I've noticed the days just slip by. There is no clock watching involved. I took the position because of the opportunities it opens up in my career, and the opportunities it provides my family. There are ways to work that kind of overtime and still have a life. My MO is to get up early, put in the 11 hour day, take only a half hour for lunch (at my desk, usually while browsing here) and get home in time for a normal dinner and family life. I think the difference is nobody would think of coming in on a weekend.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:52 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
'll quote you too, HaHa.*

If it looks like you aren't going to make partner (you will know) you may look at moving to another firm. Also, a number of lawyers who don't make partner end up as in house counsel, often for clients they represented.*
Thanks Martha, on both counts.

Ha
Old 12-02-2005, 09:10 PM   #36

I'm convinced that most of the "efficiency" gains for corporations during the 90's were gained on the back of the workforce. Expectations for weekly work hours went from a reasonable 45 or so to the unreasonable 70 to 80.

Interestingly, back in the 80's, I used to work continuously. When it wasn't required of me, I was so excited about the work that I devoted far more than 80 hours per week. Since I could meet the company expectations working blindfolded about 40 hours per week, the rest of the time was spent working to develop my own ideas that I could offer and promote to the company. I was completely happy devoting that much energy to work. (Okay, I admit I am a conformed workaholic. But it doesn't change the fact that I was happy with this arrangement and that the company benefited significantly from it.)

But what became unbearable was when they wanted to control and focus my efforts -- not just for 40 hours per week -- but for 60, 70 or 80.

I used to be an engineer, but I'm better now. I learned to love a lot of other things besides work. It wasn't easy. But faced with working long hours on poorly managed nonsense, or finding other interests, I found other interests. The company lost out.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:16 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
I used to be an engineer, but I'm better now.
I like that. A recovering engineer?

Old 12-03-2005, 04:41 AM   #38

Quote:
* The company lost out.* *
Maybe.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:09 AM   #39

Quote:
I'm convinced that most of the "efficiency" gains for corporations during the 90's were gained on the back of the workforce.* Expectations for weekly work hours went from a reasonable 45 or so to the unreasonable 70 to 80.*

But what became unbearable was when they wanted to control and focus my efforts -- not just for 40 hours per week -- but for 60, 70 or 80.*
Correct.* And they're still doing it.* Here's the way to stop it.* Pay the salaried workers by the hour.* You work 80 hours, you get paid 40 and 40 overtime.* All of a sudden, that report might wait until next Monday. And even if it could not wait, you'd be getting paid for all that extra work.*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:21 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
My new position is in a group where 120 hour pay periods (60 hour weeks) is normal.* The thing is, they pay us overtime over 80, then force you to go home after 120.* If it really needs to get done, they will authorize more hours-paid-if you request it.* This all is in the name of competitiveness, because we bid totally unrealistic software delivery dates, then somehow this brilliant team gets it done on time.* The thing is, people love the work.* We are doing this really important thing, something that matters.* Even though I've only been in it 3 weeks, I've noticed the days just slip by.* There is no clock watching involved.* I took the position because of the opportunities it opens up in my career, and the opportunities it provides my family.* There are ways to work that kind of overtime and still have a life.* *My MO is to get up early, put in the 11 hour day, take only a half hour for lunch (at my desk, usually while browsing here) and get home in time for a normal dinner and family life.* I think the difference is nobody would think of coming in on a weekend.
Laurence, sounds like you have settled on the same MO as I have. Put in the long weekdays, but keep the weekend as more-or less sacrosanct. It also helps that I live ~70 miles from the office, so its not like I could drop by for a couple of hours.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote