Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Get a Life!
Old 12-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Laurence, sounds like you have settled on the same MO as I have.* Put in the long weekdays, but keep the weekend as more-or less sacrosanct.* It also helps that I live ~70 miles from the office, so its not like I could drop by for a couple of hours.
I solved that "problem" by dragging the work home with me. It was mostly
for "show" as I never got much real work done at home, so I finally quit that.

For many years, if there was nothing in particular going on, my first
inclination was to head for the office. I was not trying to escape anything
or anyone. It was done to expand my "production" and the number
of hours I could cram in. This paid off big time when I worked for others.
My employers loved it.

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2005, 09:39 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It also helps that I live ~70 miles from the office, so its not like I could drop by for a couple of hours.
Brew, how does that commute feel? I imagine it allows you to escape from the city and afford a house but do you think it was worth it -- adding the commute hours to your long work week. I may be faced with a similar situation and I don't know if I could hack it.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

There are a lot of very talented and experienced folks on this board who, IMHO, would be worth plenty if they were inclined, or induced, by either better pay or perks, to share their talent on a balanced schedlue.*

I resemble SG, being trained as an engineer and later became a lawyer.* I had a unique path that focused entirely in international mineral exloration and mining, so I worked with lots of risky projects and they payed off, hence I FIRED myself.* Copper is about $2.00 /lb COMEX* and my former ventures made huge profits at .75/lb...so there is someone out there that needs a mining engineer to solve million dollar problems and can pay top wages.* Same for a petroleum engineer I have known for decades.* But like so many on this board, I am taking my pay in free time and personal travel with those who matter most.* There is a point where money has no real "displacement value" when compared to personal freedom.

I believe we all earned the right to make these choices and it will take some real creative employment offers to pull many of us off the FIRE lifestyle.* 8)
Old 12-05-2005, 07:05 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Brew, how does that commute feel?* I imagine it allows you to escape from the city and afford a house but do you think it was worth it -- adding the commute hours to your long work week.* I may be faced with a similar situation and I don't know if I could hack it.
Here is my schedule on most weeks:

M-Th: Up at 5AM, out the door by 5:45. In the office by 7 to 7:30 (traffic etc. permitting). Out by ^PM or a tad later. Home by 7:30, give or take.
F: Same deal, but usually out of the office by 4PM, since the Friday commute can get really fugly. Usually 2 hours, longer in the summer (I live towards the NJ shore area).
Weekends: check e-mail once or twice, but that's about it. Once in a blue moon there will be a fure drill to deal with, but the company isn't set up for telecommuting, so its hard to really get anything done.

Hours don't vary that much unless the market in what we trade turns to crap. Then a lot of decisions have to be made in a short time. We ha a mini crack-up in May, but it didn't amount to more than a few extra hours a week.

Is it worth it? Let you know at bonus time. I think I can live with this for 3 to 5 years, and then we will see. I am still home in time to spend a couple hours with my daughter and wife, and I still get my weekends. Having said that, DW and I have agreed to re-evaluate every year after bonus time whether we want to sign on for another year.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote