Join Early Retirement Today

Get Rich Quick!
Old 09-04-2003, 04:57 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Get Rich Quick!

Here's a copy of an e-mail that I just received. I can't imagine that anyone who is smart enough to access the internet would be dumb enough to fall for this .

ISAKO&CO INNEH LAW FIRM
ATTORNEYS/LEGAL PRACTITIONER
NIGERIA

DEAR FRIEND,

COMPLIMENTS OF THE SEASON. GRACE AND PEACE AND LOVE FROM THIS PART OF
THE ATLANTIC TO YOU. I HOPE MY LETTER DOES NOT CAUSE YOU TOO MUCH
EMBARRASSMENT AS I WRITE TO YOU IN GOOD FAITH BASED ON THE CONTACT ADDRESS GIVEN TO ME BY A TRUSTED CONFIDANT. PLEASE EXCUSE MY INTRUSION INTO YOUR PRIVATE LIFE.

I AM BARRISTER RICHARDS.O. SAMAKWE , I REPRESENT MOHAMMED ABACHA, SON OF THE LATE GEN. SANI ABACHA, WHO WAS THE FORMER MILITARY HEAD OF STATE IN NIGERIA. HE DIED IN 1998. SINCE HIS DEATH, THE FAMILY HAS BEEN LOSING A LOT OF MONEY DUE TO VINDICTIVE GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS WHO ARE BENT ON DEALING WITH THE FAMILY. BASED ON THIS THEREFORE, THE FAMILY HAS ASKED ME TO SEEK FOR A FOREIGN PARTNER WHO CAN WORK WITH US AS TO MOVE OUT THE TOTAL SUM OF US$25,000,000.00( TWENTY FIVE MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS ), PRESENTLY IN THEIR POSSESSION. THIS MONEY
WAS OF COURSE, ACQUIRED BY THE LATE PRESIDENT AND IS NOW KEPT SECRETLY
BY THE FAMILY.THE SWISS GOVERNMENT HAS ALREADY FROZEN ALL THE ACCOUNTS
OF THE FAMILY IN SWITZERLAND, AND SOME OTHER COUNTRIES WOULD SOON
FOLLOW TO DO THE SAME.

THIS BID BY SOME GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS TO DEAL WITH THIS FAMILY HAS MADE
IT NECESSARY THAT WE SEEK YOUR ASSISITANCE IN RECEIVING THIS MONEY AND
IN INVESTING IT ON BEHALF OFTHE FAMILY.

THIS MUST BE A JOINT VENTURE TRANSACTION AND WE MUST ALL WORK TOGETHER.
SINCE THIS MONEY IS STILL CASH, EXTRA SECURITY MEASURES HAVE BEEN TAKEN
TO PROTECT IT FROM THEFT OR SEIZURE, PENDING WHEN AGREEMENT IS REACHED
ON WHEN AND HOW TO MOVE IT INTO ANY OF YOUR NOMINATED BANK ACCOUNTS. I
HAVE PERSONALLY WORKED OUT ALL MODALITIES FOR THE PEACEFUL CONCLUSION
OF THIS TRANSACTION.

MY CLIENTS ARE WILLING TO GIVE YOU A REASONABLE PERCENTAGE OF THIS
MONEY AS SOON AS THE TRANSACTIONIS CONCLUDED. I WILL, HOWEVER,BASED ON THE GROUNDS THAT YOU ARE WILLING TO WORK WITH US AND ALSO ALL CONTENTIOUS ISSUES DISCUSSED BEFORE THE COMMENCEMENT OF THIS TRANSACTION. YOU MAY ALSO DISCUSS YOUR PERCENTAGE BEFORE WE START TO WORK. AS SOON AS I HEAR FROM YOU, I WILL GIVE YOU ALL NECESSARY DETAILS AS TO HOW WE INTEND TO CARRY OUT THE
WHOLE TRANSACTION.

PLEASE, DO NOT ENTERTAIN ANY FEARS,AS ALL NECESSARY MODALITIES ARE IN
PLACE, AND I ASSURE YOU OF ALL SUCCESS AND SAFETY IN THIS TRANSACTION.

PLEASE, THIS TRANSACTION REQUIRES ABSOLUTE CONFIDENTIALITY AND YOU
WOULD BE EXPECTED TO TREAT IT AS SUCH UNTIL THE FUNDS ARE MOVED OUT OF THIS COUNTRY.

PLEASE, YOU WILL ALSO IGNORE THIS LETTER AND RESPECT OUR TRUST IN YOU
BY NOT EXPOSING THIS TRANSACTION,EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED.

LOOK FORWARD TO WORKING WITH YOU.THANK YOU.

TRULY YOURS,

BARRISTER RICHARDS.O. SAMAKWE ESQ.

My apologies to the good barrister for not respecting his "trust" in me by posting this
Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Get Rich Quick!
Old 09-04-2003, 05:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey Ted
I've seen some warnings (nigeria scams) on the news - but your the first person I've heard of whose actually got one - maybe you can get on the news too - except they only put on people who take the bait!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 06:41 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Geeze....I get these stupid things all the time. They're all the same with only minor variations. Can you say Spam?
Old 09-04-2003, 06:50 AM   #4

There was a thread on one of the other forums I visit, where a guy got one of these Nigeria scams.

He decided to play along with the guy. This resulted in hundreds of e-mails back and forth. Many problems were described that had been fabricated.

This finally resulted where the guy offered to meet the Nigerian in a desigated place, but he would have to be "dressed in yellow and hop around, I'll come to you"

The guy posted the transcipts of the exchange.

Here is the link to the whole exchange.

http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/nigerian-fraud/
Old 09-06-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

These are often referred to as 419 scams, 419 being the relevant section of the Nigerian penal code. See www.scamorama.com for many more examples of both the letters and the exchanges that some jokers have had with these idiots.
baanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 07:10 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Heh... I've gotten several of those myself. Most of then are worded slightly differently but are clearly and blatently scams. As a wise man once said, "If you aren't out to cheat anyone, you won't be cheated either". This type of something-for-nothing or very little is a typical scam that seeks to separate the ignorant from their money. Strangley enough, people still fall for this kind of tripe.

Personally, I prefer to get rich the old fashioned way... slowly... and by EARNING it.

Ed_B
Ed_B is offline   Reply With Quote