Join Early Retirement Today

Get rich quick on eBay....
Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Get rich quick on eBay....

I heard this guy being interviewed on the radio this week.

He had never sold anything in his life on eBay before, but put up a blob of glue he found while clearing his cupboard and it fetched ~150,000

Any of you eBay sellers have any similar stories?

Homer-like blob of glue on eBay | Orange UK

Quote:
After finding the item whilst clearing out his stationery cupboard, Mr Herbert listed the object after his girlfriend noticed it shared some of Homer's distinctive features.
In his listing, Mr Herbert describes the peculiar item as the "missing piece" in any Simpsons fan's collection and states its origins as "made naturally by an overflowing tube of Uhu glue!"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I heard this guy being interviewed on the radio this week.

He had never sold anything in his life on eBay before, but put up a blob of glue he found while clearing his cupboard and it fetched ~150,000

Homer-like blob of glue on eBay | Orange UK

I wish ! I have had some pretty sweet bidding wars but nothing like that . I did sell a Kiss comic book for $150 .I also sold a lot of old china a few pieces at a time and made $2,000.It was Old English chintz. My So had a shirt I absolutely hated so I put it on ebay as a joke . It did net $5.00 as the worst shirt ever and it helped me get rid of it . He still mourns that shirt .

Old 02-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I wish ! I have had some pretty sweet bidding wars but nothing like that . I did sell a Kiss comic book for $150 .I also sold a lot of old china a few pieces at a time and made $2,000.It was Old English chintz. My So had a shirt I absolutely hated so I put it on ebay as a joke . It did net $5.00 as the worst shirt ever and to help me get rid of it . He still mourns that shirt .

That's not too bad at all.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Leno has a regular segment in which they show an item and have audience guess whether it sold or did not. There are usually some big surprises, such as something you'd think no one would buy but sells for $8,000.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Every time I visit Goodwill I'm tempted to buy the entire rack of $7 aloha shirts and sell them on eBay for $15...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Leno has a regular segment in which they show an item and have audience guess whether it sold or did not. There are usually some big surprises, such as something you'd think no one would buy but sells for $8,000.
I used to watch "Cash in the Attic", and every now and again an item would sell for way over the top of what the experts had told the seller to expect. I'm amazed at what people will pay for some pretty ordinary looking items. One thing I remember was an old metal sign from a railway station in England from the 60's. The experts said that if a railway memorabilia collector was in the auction room it could go for several hundred. In the event, there were several bidders and it sold for many thousands of pounds.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There are a lot of sellers making a good living on ebay . They scout out thrift shops and Goodwill's . They all carry phones with Internet access so they have access to how much the items are selling for . They buy the items for little and make huge profits on them especially the sellers that sell internationally . Contrary to popular opinion the dropshippers usually do not do as well as the sellers that hand pick their items . We all dream of that grilled cheese worth thousands but in reality most ebayers that I know are happy with a $300 woohoo .
Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've got some old golf clubs I need to list. Just been too lazy to do it. Last year I got around to selling a set of Callaway irons that had been sitting in my closet for 5 years and got $200 for them. Sad thing is........if I had sold them when I first quit using them, they would have gone for $350-400. But golfers hate parting with their old friends.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think its becoming a tougher and tougher way to make money though.

Ebay is constantly tinkering with the fees, now requires Paypal (with its own fees).

The changes in the feedback system allow problem buyers to blackmail sellers with the threat of negative feedback.

Increasing postage costs are also an issue.

In my niche (old comic books), most of the E-bay sellers are looking for alternatives. Most of the expensive books have moved to comic specific venues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
There are a lot of sellers making a good living on ebay . They scout out thrift shops and Goodwill's . They all carry phones with Internet access so they have access to how much the items are selling for . They buy the items for little and make huge profits on them especially the sellers that sell internationally . Contrary to popular opinion the dropshippers usually do not do as well as the sellers that hand pick their items . We all dream of that grilled cheese worth thousands but in reality most ebayers that I know are happy with a $300 woohoo .
Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #10

The fees have gotten quite high since we did our first eBay. And now they charge another Final Value Fee on the shipping! I was surprised the first time we saw that. I guess I should read the update emails from eBay.

Just sold 2 faux pearl necklaces from my mother's estate last week. Both went to buyers in Japan. Starting bid of $19.99 each with a Buy It Now price of $65 and both sold with the Buy It Now. After all the eBay fees and the PayPal fees my sister and I netted $111 to split.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Miriam Haskell Faux Pearl Necklace 24 inches | eBay

My mother hadn't worn them in decades and neither my sister nor I were going to use them. We did keep a real pearl necklace that I remember my mother wearing and she told me that it was the real one.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #11

Don't have to tell me twice ... I am working on Bart and Marge so this idiot fool collector can complete his set.

A friend of DWs was hoarding clothes from clearance sales then repackaging them for sale on EBAY. Her husband finally put an end to it when he could not get down the basement stairs. Says she made money .... I have my doubts .
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I don't understand how some seller make money by selling anything on Ebay for .01 including shipping from Hong Kong. I would think that the shipping is more then that yet they sell hundreds on .01 cent items including shipping. Even if the item and shipping were somehow free, is it really worth it for them?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I don't understand how some seller make money by selling anything on Ebay for .01 including shipping from Hong Kong. I would think that the shipping is more then that yet they sell hundreds on .01 cent items including shipping. Even if the item and shipping were somehow free, is it really worth it for them?

I have not seen the 1 cent items with free shipping... do you have an example
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
The fees have gotten quite high since we did our first eBay. And now they charge another Final Value Fee on the shipping! I was surprised the first time we saw that. I guess I should read the update emails from eBay.

Just sold 2 faux pearl necklaces from my mother's estate last week. Both went to buyers in Japan. Starting bid of $19.99 each with a Buy It Now price of $65 and both sold with the Buy It Now. After all the eBay fees and the PayPal fees my sister and I netted $111 to split.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Miriam Haskell Faux Pearl Necklace 24 inches | eBay

My mother hadn't worn them in decades and neither my sister nor I were going to use them. We did keep a real pearl necklace that I remember my mother wearing and she told me that it was the real one.
I think that is because of some sellers putting down an item for 1 cent and then charging like $20 to ship.. (not like the previous post of free shipping)... and if you buy 3 they charge $60 to ship... I had looked at something and that is how they priced...

I do not think that a charge of 15% to attract buying from around the world is a huge cost.... just my opinion... you know what the fees are and should price your items accordingly...
Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have not seen the 1 cent items with free shipping... do you have an example
This is only one of many, it doesn't really matter what the item is, I just don't understand how they make money on this if it's free shipping. I touched upon this topic once before but still don't understand how they profit.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #16

I have bought several items from eBay for $0.01 up to $2.89, with shipping from China or Hong Kong included.

And the items are small & simple, but not of terribly poor quality - like a little electrical plug, or a USB light stick. They do their job, and do it well.

So, yes, I remain mystified as to how they can actually turn a profit with such sales.