Join Early Retirement Today

Getting a Good Deal
Old 10-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Getting a Good Deal

I have noticed in the past, due to the web, when you search for a widget, then for the next few weeks you get lots of ads on various sites for widgets, but normally I've bought the widget already.

I have the free green Angies list membership.
They send me weekly emails about "deals"

Since fall is coming, I searched on their site for furnace cleaning to see if there was a special, but only from lousy companies, so I ended up using a local paper coupon and booked one for $59

Today Angies List sent me an email with 5 furnace cleaning specials, 3 a little cheaper and 1 the same price. I think my search made their system send me emails to try to get me to buy.

So I'm thinking can I do this for cruises or other big ticket items ?
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #2

I wonder how many of those email promotions are simply telling you about things your could have found out on your own, had you looked specifically for those deals, as opposed to only available to those who got the email.

As to cruises, my one data point is Princess; I signed up for their "deals" email. The email highlighted a few, and as soon as you clicked into the website, you were at a place in their web site where anyone searching for deals could go.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It is all in THE COOKIES.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
It is all in THE COOKIES.
I beg to differ. FB and Amazon are tracking computers by IP address, so even when you browse and shop in privacy mode, they record your activity and build an ad around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I wonder how many of those email promotions are simply telling you about things your could have found out on your own, had you looked specifically for those deals, as opposed to only available to those who got the email.
I think (have read?) that Amazon may use this data to set a price.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I find this particularly annoying with airlines. "Business-Class Fare Sale!" they scream. So you go to the site and there's no nice, neat list of destinations and dates- just the usual Search facility. No, I will NOT go on a treasure hunt to find your bargains.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deals, email, web